• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Resident Evil game.

Fishcakes

I'm sure we've all heard the Rumours and random guesses on possible new ideas for the next resident evil game, main characters and all that. Anyone have any interesting ideas or thoughts on what it could be, characters, story, or anything? Would be interested to know.

Murderer Enshrined

Bottom line:

They must bring back old fan favorites, meaning, characters.

There is zero reason why they can't bring back those fan favorites.

We all know Jill and Claire can be brought back as playable characters, but what about bringing back Ada as a playable character?

Third person, CCTV camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, pretty graphics. Put me back in a big, plush mansion, clock tower, castle, palace, puzzles to solve. I loved Code Veronica because you run around in a beautiful palace and it's partially destroyed and burning with zombies roaming around. It's the beautiful and the hideous coming together to make you panic, because you can see how the evil and corrupted is slowly taking over and you have to find a way to survive. Back to basics and keep it simple.

The rest should be pretty academic.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I know I’m burnt out on guessing what’s next for the franchise and its mostly because I know it’s not gonna be what I want to hear.

That’s not to say I wasn’t pleasantly surprised with VILLAGE. But the 8th installment left us with a less than enticing setup for the next major title as all of the villains in RE8 were throwaways and they seem to be hinting at Rose being the next main protagonist… it’s just not the focal point I want.

The only way Capcom could accomplish half the things I do want to see in future titles is if they stop making the main titles coincide with the year the games are released because, at this point, we have jumped so far ahead in the timeline and all the past characters we love are getting too old to keep in this fight.

Perhaps losing the numbers in the titles will help them in terms of releasing games that dive right into stories revolving around other past characters rather than being focused on a follow up story to the game before it. But I also just don’t see them backtracking too much in the timeline either to cover the many lose ends they’ve created.

Last edited:

Mr.R

Perhaps losing the numbers in the titles will help them in terms of releasing games that dive right into stories revolving around other past characters rather than being focused on a follow up story to the game before it. But I also just don’t see them backtracking too much in the timeline either to cover the many lose ends they’ve created.

Backtracking on the timeline to cover loose ends (or create more) was the Revelations premise, in a sense. I wish they keep doing that, but as you said, not using numbers can also help to give them more flexibility to go back and forth on the timeline. At least I hope so. I know our old heroes still have more stories to give us.

Fishcakes

Bottom line:

They must bring back old fan favorites, meaning, characters.

There is zero reason why they can't bring back those fan favorites.

We all know Jill and Claire can be brought back as playable characters, but what about bringing back Ada as a playable character?

Third person, CCTV camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, pretty graphics. Put me back in a big, plush mansion, clock tower, castle, palace, puzzles to solve. I loved Code Veronica because you run around in a beautiful palace and it's partially destroyed and burning with zombies roaming around. It's the beautiful and the hideous coming together to make you panic, because you can see how the evil and corrupted is slowly taking over and you have to find a way to survive. Back to basics and keep it simple.

The rest should be pretty academic.
Sounds amazing haha, just like the originals.
the main thing I'm wondering about is will they actually do it? I wasn't a fan of re8 but it was one of their best sellers and new fans are flocking because of it, I sort of thought it'd be the capcom way to just screw the old fans and somehow bring back elements of re8 with similar or the same characters, I hope it doesn't happened, as nothing beats the original type resident evil games. But I think there's a high chance it will.
Still hoping for the game you describe, I'd be on that in a heart beat, especially with Jill, Claire or Chris. Preferably for me I'd like the old Jill model but of course the new ones good as well, just not the same nostalgia

Fishcakes

Yea
I know I’m burnt out on guessing what’s next for the franchise and its mostly because I know it’s not gonna be what I want to hear.

That’s not to say I wasn’t pleasantly surprised with VILLAGE. But the 8th installment left us with a less than enticing setup for the next major title as all of the villains in RE8 were throwaways and they seem to be hinting at Rose being the next main protagonist… it’s just not the focal point I want.

The only way Capcom could accomplish half the things I do want to see in future titles is if they stop making the main titles coincide with the year the games are released because, at this point, we have jumped so far ahead in the timeline and all the past characters we love are getting too old to keep in this fight.

Definitely agree with what your saying, as well as true fact that re8 was a bestseller for them, meaning that they'll probably want to stick to similar characters and concepts due to the money. I'm pretty sure everyone who's read my threads on here already knows that I'm not a big resident evil 7 and 8 fan, I understand the need for a new, younger fan base but im disappointed with the complete disregard of the old, no hate though, they did a fine job.
I'd like some sort of filler games, they fill the gaps between other resident evil games, but who knows

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Backtracking on the timeline to cover loose ends (or create more) was the Revelations premise, in a sense. I wish they keep doing that, but as you said, not using numbers can also help to give them more flexibility to go back and forth on the timeline. At least I hope so. I know our old heroes still have more stories to give us.
Their neglect to give Revelations 2 any proper follow up is the biggest offense for me at this time. There was so much potential with Alex/Natalia and it seems as though they’re blowing it all on forgettable/throwaway villains.

Hardware

According to rumors, the next one is going to be RESIDENT EVIL OUTRAGE, starring Rebecca Chambers. I am kind of looking forward to it, since, while I don't like RE0, I always wanted to see more of Rebecca (don't know why, I guess it has to do with the fact the actress playing her in OG RE1 live-action videos was very cute). Apparently, it is set on a college campus, it's an OTS game, and part of its gameplay is about fighting enemies with improvised weapons (like scissors).
The rumors say the standard enemies are not zombies but 28 Days Later-style rabid humans (which is what I originally thought the ganados were going to be like when the first images\trailers for RE4's final build hit the web - one of the early trailers even had a title card reading "an infection of madness").

The game was originally supposed to be a Switch exclusive but it has been promoted to be a multi-platform release - that is because RE9 is going to take a few more years to be completed...always according to rumors, that is.

Mr.R

According to rumors, the next one is going to be RESIDENT EVIL OUTRAGE, starring Rebecca Chambers. I am kind of looking forward to it, since, while I don't like RE0, I always wanted to see more of Rebecca (don't know why, I guess it has to do with the fact the actress playing her in OG RE1 live-action videos was very cute). Apparently, it is set on a college campus, it's an OTS game, and part of its gameplay is about fighting enemies with improvised weapons (like scissors).
The rumors say the standard enemies are not zombies but 28 Days Later-style rabid humans (which is what I originally thought the ganados were going to be like when the first images\trailers for RE4's final build hit the web - one of the early trailers even had a title card reading "an infection of madness").

The game was originally supposed to be a Switch exclusive but it has been promoted to be a multi-platform release - that is because RE9 is going to take a few more years to be completed...always according to rumors, that is.
I remember that rumor. I wonder if they're gonna adapt the script of Resident Evil The Stage (Or something like that, the Japanese play. It was also set on a College campus) but maybe without Chris and Piers, having only Rebecca as the main character...or maybe with the pair since it doesn't need to be post 2013. That could be interesting, I guess.

Hardware

I remember that rumor. I wonder if they're gonna adapt the script of Resident Evil The Stage (Or something like that, the Japanese play. It was also set on a College campus) but maybe without Chris and Piers, having only Rebecca as the main character...or maybe with the pair since it doesn't need to be post 2013. That could be interesting, I guess.
It remains to be seen whether or not these rumors are true - the source was DuskGolem (aka AestheticGamer) as usual...but it must be said most of his leaks about VILLAGE were 100% spot-on, with only minor differences that could've been due to late-development changes (and we all know people at Capcom are not very good at sticking to the program - especially now that these games are made by a committee and individual directors have less and less input). We'll see...provided that the game (which may exist or not at this point) doesn't get scrapped, like RESIDENT EVIL: HUNK (a title that was leaked by hackers who broke into Capcom's servers and got ahold of the company's released plans for the next 5 years...or what their plans actually were back in the day of the hack).

Ikawaru

So Resident Evil -1: Rebecca's brief collage tenure before becoming a full blown special forces police officer at age....18(!?)

Aside from my heavy skepticism about Rebecca's age though, I never had a problem with her in general and I do like 'Zero' quite a bit aside from a few minor annoyances like no item box and disrupting RE1 lore quite a bit, but the Marcus backstory is pretty neat. So, I wouldn't mind seeing Rebecca return I just hope they don't screw up the gameplay and her character up too badly.

Really kinda ****ed they canned the 'Hunk' project, though. Not sure if it had anything to do with the hackers but sidelining him completely especially considering he is the very last unlockable 'Epilogue' in RE3 is kinda dumb, and he has quite a niche following. Maybe he'll make an appearance in 'Outrage' as Rebecca's new sidekick away from Billy Coen or something ahahahaaaa.

Hardware

So Resident Evil -1: Rebecca's brief collage tenure before becoming a full blown special forces police officer at age....18(!?)
That's very Japanese - making the characters waaay too young, I mean. Even Jill and Chris' ages in RE1 (23 and 25) are unrealistic as hell, especially given their military background. Kenichi Iwao, the scenario writer of RE1, went on to say he regretted not making them older. Certainly, Rebecca being a medical officer at 18 is the one that stands out the most (at 18 you cannot even be a nurse) - they justified it by making her a genius (!!!), but that's even dumber. I personally always look at her as this young newbie (21 or something) that somehow got in the mess of RE1 and just happens to have some minimal medical training because, I dunno, her dad was a doctor or something.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Yup my favorite characters in gaming have extremely unrealistic backgrounds but oh well. Chris for instance joined the Air Force at 17 and instantly became a pilot? Last I checked to be an actual pilot in the Air Force you have to go to a 4 year college for that. Apparently he managed to become a pilot, an expert marksman in the Air Force (!?) all before the ripe age of 23 (The age in which he was discharged).

If he was a helicopter pilot in the U.S. Army I think that would have made more sense. You don't need a 4 year degree for that AND the Army, you know, is much more fertile ground for gaining good marksmanship skills.

Hardware

Yup my favorite characters in gaming have extremely unrealistic backgrounds but oh well. Chris for instance joined the Air Force at 17 and instantly became a pilot? Last I checked to be an actual pilot in the Air Force you have to go to a 4 year college for that. Apparently he managed to become a pilot, an expert marksman in the Air Force (!?) all before the ripe age of 23 (The age in which he was discharged).

If he was a helicopter pilot in the U.S. Army I think that would have made more sense. You don't need a 4 year degree for that AND the Army, you know, is much more fertile ground for gaining good marksmanship skills.
Yeah, it's all very unlikely. Actually, it's all pretty impossible: for example, Jill is a former Delta Force operator - age aside, Delta Force doesn't even allow women in its ranks as far as I know.

The main characters in RE all seem to be child wonders of some kind. The only one who used to be believable is RE2's Leon: 21 is not too young to be a rookie cop fresh out of the academy in the US as far as I know. They are usually a little bit older, but 21 is still realistic.

Most of the main cast should be about 10 years older to be believable. Even Claire behaves more like a 30 years old woman than a 19 years old college girl, especially when she's around Shelley (their relationship was based on Ripley and Newt from "Aliens" - and Ripley wasn't in her late teens, as she was old enough to be Newt's mother).

Ikawaru

Delta Force doesn't even allow women in its ranks as far as I know.

They do. They've been recruiting women since the 1990's, but like you said, that very small window of plausibility like her age and the exact timeframe in which she enlisted makes it unlikely. They are typically used support roles though like espionage and intelligence gathering. Almost like, uh, lockpicking. :p

Real life Jill Valentine (Though hopefully Jill never meets the same fate!)

On the plus side though, RE/Biohazard could be considered ahead of its time because people like Valentine and Kent were all but unheard of in 1996, so...

Last edited:

SpaceOwlHoot

It's set on a college campus but that doesn't mean it has to be during her days as a college student...and I really, really hope it's not.

I think during Vendetta she was working at a University as a professor so that's a possible timeline.

Hardware

It's set on a college campus but that doesn't mean it has to be during her days as a college student...and I really, really hope it's not.

I think during Vendetta she was working at a University as a professor so that's a possible timeline.
Yeah, I immediately thought of "Vendetta" myself the minute I read the leak...which sucks because it reminds me the CG movies are canon and I thought they were all pretty bad (Degeneration was decent). But, whatever: the RE lore and timeline got screwed royally from RE4 onwards and there's no way to fix them. I just finished RE2make for the first time in over a year and I wanted to cry for how good it is and because we're not going to get another game like that one ever again unless they remake Code: Veronica.

Ikawaru

Of course, that's just me being facetious ;)

I enjoyed 'Degeneration' quite a lot and still have not seen the others, but if they're not as good I guess my instincts were sound to ignore them and probably won't ever bother.

The idea that RE4 screwed everything up is only half true, you can still save face by good reboots, and RE7 wasn't a very good reboot, unless all you care about is the horror aspect and RE was more to me than just 'horror', it's a combination of several factors that compliment each other well. I simply do not care about any of the characters, I felt the plot was weak, the combat got quite frustrating (The fight with Jack was pretty cool though), Evelyn is basically a complete rip off of "Eve" from Parasite Eve, done poorly, and add some 'Alice' and "Alma" into the mix for good measure. The atmosphere and visuals certainly looked good it's not enough to save it when other elements can't add up too well. The crafting system wasn't too shabby. Not perfect, but we'll give it a positive mark.

So, breaking it down, visuals, atmosphere, the chainsaw Jack fight, and the crafting are about the only things I liked about 7 :giggle:

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
At this stage it's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly when we'll be getting our next Resident Evil game. Sans 2018 we've been getting one RE game every year since 2015, which is honestly kind of unheard of nowadays.

With RE:Verse seemingly abandoned, Outrage cancelled and the rumored RE4 remake turning out to actually be the VR version, there is nothing new to expect until RE9 which is at least 3-4 years away. In that case we're talking about 2024 at earliest.

EDIT: This was my 1000th post. Cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom