• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised Resident Evil 9

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Hopefully that's either totally bogus or old leaks resurfacing. The plot that started in RE7 is seemingly ending with the Shadow of Rose DLC, which supposedly was the plot of RE9 before Capcom changed their mind (like they often do). So without Rose as a central character for RE9, combined with the fact that we're heading towards more third-person-focused games, my wishful thinking is that RE9 is less like RE7-8 and more like the new remakes, specifically RE2.

I mean... another desolate village? Another creepy forest? Another supernatural/mythological creature? Please...

I wouldn't be surpised though if we're getting another tall female BOW in RE9, since Capcom is well aware of all the thirsty neckbeards out there simping for Lady Dimitrescu. That's probably where their priorities are.

Turo602

The King of Kings
The thing that worries me about those leaks, is that it sounds too stupid and Village-esque to be true. But knowing Capcom, because it sounds so stupid and Village-esque, it just might be true.

The Capcom data breach from a while ago did say something about a Resident Evil Apocalypse or something. So this could just be nonsense working off of that. Considering how Village ended and the Rose DLC taking place in the future, I don't get why RE9 wouldn't follow up on Chris and the whole BSAA thing. Though I guess ignoring plot threads is par for the course with Capcom.

However, what I do find interesting is that Dusk Golem has said that 9 would act as some sort of finale for the series and that it would be the last numbered entry with other games taking place in between other games. While things might have changed since then, I do think we have seen evidence of this already in Resident Evil 3. As we know from the original games, Jill was very underutilized post RE3, with Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4, in all of its versions, seemingly omitting Jill from the main storyline. Yet, in the Resident Evil 3 remake, we see a scene of her grabbing the broken vial like there's more to come.

Could this be what Dusk Golem was referring to? A game about Jill set between 3 and 4? It does seem like a great way to capitalize on these remakes and could very well be the reason why they exist to begin with. Establish a new version of the events to branch off new stories from. With the way the main series has been heading, I think something like this could be exciting. Kind of like how the Star Wars sequels messed things up so bad that we're now getting stories between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens in an effort to "make things right."

The remakes have been the best thing about this series in a long time, so I'm definitely down for more of those type of games, especially if they bring it back to the earliest part of the timeline. Though, I would hope we get Revelations 3 first to wrap up Alex's story which just seems to be in limbo. Unless Revelations 3 does end up picking up the Chris/BSAA storyline and weaving Alex into it as Village was also said to have originally started as Revelations 3. So maybe that plotline was a remnant of its Revelations 3 days as Alex Wesker was even said to have originally played a minor role in Village which was likely scrapped when it became RE8.

Last edited:

Ark2000

Hopefully that's either totally bogus or old leaks resurfacing.
Maybe you're onto something there, or it could be that Capcom is re-using some of the stuff they cut from previous games. Like that rumor about female B.O.W helping the main character through entire game? It reminds me on one of the character/plot parts which were in Resident Evil 3.5 before that game was dropped, a girl (i think she was also either infected with something or was B.O.W) and her B.O.W dog who would help Leon. Also, that other rumor about B.O.W or monster who will also have a Merchant-like role? It sounds at least little bit like one of the many things which were cut and changed from Village, i still remember when the leaks about it first came out. More details;

In the early beta versions of the game which were tested and had lots of info about it leaked out, the Old Hag was another witch-like enemy who would chase Ethan around some of the locations, just like few other bosses or enemies in the game. In another later version of the game, her character was completely changed and she was turned into the merchant who would also tell Ethan more about what is going in the village, but after more changes she was turned into one of Miranda's fake forms, and Duke, who originally was going to be 5th lord of the village, was changed into the merchant.

Jonipoon

Yet, in the Resident Evil 3 remake, we see a scene of her grabbing the broken vial like there's more to come.

Could this be what Dusk Golem was referring to? A game about Jill set between 3 and 4? It does seem like a great way to capitalize on these remakes and could very well be the reason why they exist to begin with. Establish a new version of the events to branch off new stories from. With the way the main series has been heading, I think something like this could be exciting. Kind of like how the Star Wars sequels messed things up so bad that we're now getting stories between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens in an effort to "make things right."
It's a fascinating thought, especially since the takedown of Umbrella never happened in any game post-RE3. All we ever got was that anti-climatic intro shown in RE4. "Oh so Umbrella's gone now? OK, moving on I guess."

Interestingly enough, Capcom decided the keep the ending teaser about "Umbrella's going down" in both remakes for RE2 and RE3, and the question remains if they did it to stick to the OG stories or if they have future plans for it.

Ikawaru

'Umbrella Chronicles' did technically fill that "Umbrella deestroyed!" plothole but it was very silly and hyperbolic in its execution to say the least.

RipvanX

'Umbrella Chronicles' did technically fill that "Umbrella deestroyed!" plothole but it was very silly and hyperbolic in its execution to say the least.
Tbh it felt more like a side story about Wesker and Sergei rivalry while the whole Umbrella takedown was a backdrop. Everyone was expecting an epic mainline game for this takedown which is now going full circle with the BSAA siege plot. So maybe we can expect another side game to wrap up corrupt BSAA. It would be weird to set RE9 before Rose DLC where that’s set in 2036. I can see them pulling an RE4 and resolving corrupt BSAA and Blue Umbrella in a 2 min prologue then fast forwarding to where the world is being taken over by some new plague Natalia unleashed. Hence another RE6 like plotline but done better.

I want them to go balls to the wall if RE9 is going to be the finale to this long drawn out storyline.

Ikawaru

It would be weird to set RE9 before Rose DLC where that’s set in 2036.

I think they could pull it off as long as the plot laser focuses on Rose and her immediate surroundings and doesn't spoil to much retro plot.

It might be hard to do that though considering the rumors about RE9 being dubbed 'Apocalypse', which doesn't exactly call for a more localized and covert story about bioweapons and seems meta like re4-re6.

I would be open to future titles being set in...the future but the problem with that is all the classic characters stories aren't even wrapped up yet. Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca, Claire, Ashley, Leon, Ada are still floating around so they would for real have to wrap this whole thing up in one last kind of finale and make it clear that it's all wrapped up.

Why I'm open to some titles being set in the not-to-distant future is that there's a lot of prototypical weapon tech now being tested like hypersonic rounds and small arms rail guns, so being set in 2036 could give them an opportunity to implement prototype versions of this technology in a practical manner.

Unfortunately though Capcom's present trajectory is more in line with the supernatural and more gothic horror rather than science and technology so that in itself is a major issue if they keep going that way and will leave only the remakes to look forward to.

RipvanX

I would rather them try something completely new again with RE9 like how RE4 pulled it off. The whole derelict villages, ships, and mansion settings have been done to death though at this point. As much as they milked Raccoon City events over and over, it would be cool to have a new city setting again that would be much more fleshed out than what we got in RE6 and REmake 3.

The original RE3 and Outbreaks had very well paced exploration and depth to their level designs for cities that I would like to see again in a mainline title. There is much more room for variety in those kinds of settings.

They should also make it more open world and give players a choice on how to progress the game. RE8 had glimpses of this while hunting and scavenging for treasures but players had to fight each of the main bosses in the same order everytime. Then areas would also become locked afterwards which is outdated game design.

Whatever happens I will laugh if they skip over the BSAA siege like how they skipped Umbrella’s downfall back in 2005.

Ikawaru

No, no it wouldn't. I used to live in one, there's nothing interesting there whatsoever. You might find more guns and ammo laying around but unless the devs were super creative in creating some kind of Lovecraftian cult-like setting it would just be generic grade horror but with AR-15's and fishing poles. Anything but that, please.

Jonipoon

Any location could be considered boring until you fill it with a compelling plot and crazy sh*t. Look at RE7 for example, even though I don't like the game per se the location is superbly done - But strip away every horror aspect and make the Bakers house look 100% clean, new and fresh, and it wouldn't be particularly interesting.

Small towns are filled with all sorts of different locations and buildings, there's literally so much you could do with it.

Generic grade horror? Lol. The first Resident Evil takes place in a friggin scary mansion, which is like the epitome of generic horror tropes. If anything, I'd say that the B-movie horror setting suits the franchise perfectly.

Ikawaru

Still curious as to who is working on it. Now that RE4R has come out and played, those 'Apocalypse' rumors actually sound more congruent and realistic considering some of the design decisions RE4R took. So, while before I thought these rumors were a joke like someone reading our criticisms of 'Village' on this board and running with a false rumor on 4Chan, I'm not so sure now.

Would like more info on the team designing it in any case. Capcom staffing is an inconsistent convoluted mess. It's like they pick names from a hat on who the next director and lead designer is going to be and we wonder why the series is so screwed up.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

As long as it isn't in first-person I think I'll enjoy it more than both 7 and VIllage combined.

I'm just tired of fake rumors. It confuses the hell out of me and makes me disappointed all in vain.

Top Bottom