• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

6÷2(1+2)=? WTF

Dede

hahahaha
http://www.facebook.com/pages/6212-The-debate-of-the-century/218727504805996
http://www.facebook.com/pages/62129-I-know-my-math/127004494042892
http://www.facebook.com/pages/62121/206859589346052
http://www.facebook.com/pages/6212/1873012879822
2hg6yio.jpg

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Using the Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally method in which you deal with what's in parentheses first, exponents next, then multiplication, then divison, then addition, then subtraction, the answer to the first part is obviously 3, then you multiply both 6 and 2 by 3 - which is 18 and 6 respectively - then you divide 18 by 6, the answer should be 3.

(But then again, I was never really good at math so I could very well be wrong.)

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
No, Fallen is correct. You always multiply what's inside the bracket by what's outside. 6/2 is 3. 1+2 is 3. 3x3 is 9.

Or, at least that's how I was taught to do it. Actually, Golbez could be right as well, now that I think about it.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Just got it from two math wiz's.

You do the parentheses first, which we've already established as 3. Then you multiply 3 by 2 - this is where I messed up - which is 6 then you divide.

Golbez was right, the answer is 1. :D

Mr Sunshine

No, 6÷2(1+2) is just wrong, because it either means (6/2)(1+2) or 6/(2(1+2)). The first has 9 as a result , the second 1.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I have a question for everyone who's passed their grade 12 math class... has anyone even USED any of this crap in real life? I slaved through Math Functions and I have not once used ANYTHING I learned since barely passing it. Such a waste of time.

LordGolbez

Ahh I Think I See Now Why They Call This A Debate But It's A Debate For All Of The Math Lovers Out There So It Really Makes No Nevermind To Me lol

I Have Often Wondered The Same Thing As Well. I Mean Everyone Uses The Basic Stuff But Unless You Really Like Math Or Have A Job Requiring It I Don't See Much Point But That's Me.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
No, 6÷2(1+2) is just wrong, because it either means (6/2)(1+2) or 6/(2(1+2)). The first has 9 as a result , the second 1.
No, it's right. The parentheses being next to the two means the answer in the parentheses is multiplied by two - I honestly can't tell you where I got the idea that you multiply both numbers by the answer in parentheses, my only defense is that I swear I remember something like that being in some sort of math equation.

The problem is written correctly to the best of my knowledge.

Mr Sunshine

Well it's certainly not a debate for Math lovers. Like I said, it is mathematically wrong because the way it is written on the title you don't know if (1+2) is part of the fraction or not

--- (1+2) and

----- are different. And in mathematics you have to be exact on what you write.
2 (1+2)

Also, they're not crap, but I guess from a certain level and above they aren't useful to people who don't need them for their jobs.

@Maggie: My explanation is above ^^

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I guess I'm harbouring bitterness towards them. I didn't get into the particular university that would have been my first choice because my math mark brought my average down 2% below the cut-off. i will always be bitter towards mathematics. :p

Mr Sunshine

I guess I'm harbouring bitterness towards them. I didn't get into the particular university that would have been my first choice because my math mark brought my average down 2% below the cut-off. i will always be bitter towards mathematics. :p

And what would that college be?

Here, depending on what type universities you're interested in, different subjects count on your import mark. In your case maths wouldn't count at all. But this doesn't mean that our education system is something special. lol

@cherrybomb: I don't get what the question is but there's a mistake on the right bottom corner of the pic. It's 9 =/ 1 not 3 =/ 1.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
It was Queen's University in Kingston - I first applied for psychology but you needed a.. high mark for the program, and that was including math - which makes sense because of the neuro-psych side of it. I've obviously changed my major since my first year, I imagine if I had applied straight off the bat just for social sciences I could have gotten in.

Top Bottom