• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revelations 2 Best game since RE4? (Seriously Underrated)

Is Revelations 2 underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

meg5493

Revelations 2 puts you in a horror environment, Parker's and Chris' sections in the first game don't. Like I said, you play with Jill like 50% of the game, the other 50% just isn't very good at all. I still quite like the game, especially because of Raid Mode, but 2 is better in every single way. Also, while there are "more" characters in the first game, non of them are really that good with the exception of Jill, in 2 there's Claire, Natalia. Barry and Alex's mutated design is creepy as hell, I really enjoy it.
Its the same with Natalia and Moira's sections except this time around you can play them separately from the main game. We can debate this till Rev 3 comes out but the point is Rev2 is gonna be superior to Rev1 because all the mistakes in the 1 were taken into account when making 2. I like the characters more in 1 and I think the villians are cooler as much as people love to gush about Alex and the how cool that been since the theories spawned from 5s dlc. The organization in Rev1 which was the same one Ada and Wesker were working for in 4 that literally never gets addressed again as such (maybe in 6 but eh) was super interesting to me, and one of the few things Capcom doesn't try to beat you over the head with. Characters in 2 are more fleshed out because most are established fan favs or connected to characters that are connected to fan favorites

meg5493

How is the story and writing weak in Revelations 2? I'd debate it's the best Resident Evil in that aspect by a long shot. One of my favorite stories to be honest. My biggest complaint regarding the story is that a lot of the jokes are out of place. This story is far darker than most and Alex Wesker literally has no funny moments, so it breaks the pacing of her story, as well as Natalia's.

The story is also told through cutscenes, gameplay, visual, documents, and dialogue, There is far more story told in those ways than most people realise. It's rather sad, no wonder there is such a disparity between the fans regarding the story :/
Rev2 probably has the most coherent engaging plot out of any of the games.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I don't think it's underrated, Rev 2 is good, but it gets so tedious. The aiming is terrible as is the plot and Claire and Barry are straight out of left-field. And even as a single player game, Capcom just have to force a partner character don't they?

Rev 1 has a much better structure, but I still only enjoy Jill and Chris' sections.
RE4 and RE5 are far better games than all of them because unlike the Rev series, the main games are AAA high production value titles.
This. Just this all over. Fingers crossed that Capcom steps up their game with Revelations 3. And hopefully Moira will wash her mouth out should she make a return.

black 93

Revelations 2 to me, is the most fun, most replayable RE since RE5. The campaign is easy to jump into, it's just about the right length ( don't know about anyone else but RE4 drags on a little) and Claire, Barry and Moira are awesome and sometimes funny characters you can relate to. The story is one of the best in the series imo, Alex Wesker is awesome and pure evil, and the monster designs are the best probably since 4. There's tons to unlock, the secret files are great and the game is full of references to past games and the comments made by characters like " I was almost a claire sandwich" and "iv had my fill of mansions" never fail to make me smile. I don't know if id call the game underated because it has been generally well received, but it's definitley a favourite of mine.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
( don't know about anyone else but RE4 drags on a little)

I'm essentially immune to it at this point, I've memorized that game to the point where I'm silently waiting for everything to occur. Being my favourite game ever made certainly helps.
I watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner the same way, two movies that many people say drag and are boring.

Revelations 2 is amazing! I really enjoyed the character swapping on single player, its the first game like that since Zero, the fact Barry is back was also super cool. And it gets really dark towards the end in that tower where Alex was residing. The 6 month gap between campaigns was also interesting.

I also think what Alex Wesker did, she put her consciousness into Natalia, like a body swap. It might be a prelude like if Ozwell Spencer did the same thing. Its a very important story aspect.
Much more important that Revelations 1. Revelations 1 to me is the beginning of the BSAA. that's what that game is to me. But the gaming in Revelations 1 is really fun, I love searching through the Queen Zenobia, its reminiscent of the original mansion. I mean , these are all reasons why they are considered great Resident Evil games.

But yea, Revelations 2 has some of my favorite moments. super tense enemies, specially Barrys campaign. Those 4 chapters and 2 campaigns go a long way.

Monster Mash

Revelations 2 was an awesome horror game; Alex legitimately gave me the creeps and the whole game (minus the high tech tower) made you feel like you were running around inside a tomb. I did think that the interaction between Barry and Moira felt a little rushed towards the end, a some tension might have been good, but overall, one of the best of the series.

STEM_inhabitant

I realize I'm late to the party, and I love Revelations 2 (playing it for the second time right now), but I frankly do not think that it is underrated. I think it is widely accepted for exactly what it is: a good game.
I personally believe it is nothing more than that. It could have been great, but for it to be that it has to be like other great Resident Evil games, and it isn't better than those games.

There are various reasons for that. Some of the enemy design takes away from the seriousness of the survival aspect of the game; it sort of kills the tension during action, in my humble opinion. In other words, enemies pose a threat but they don't look the part.

Going through doors triggers a mini cut-scene for some reason which sort of hurts the immersion. This is even more remarkable when playing with a friend. Also, the soundtrack doesn't do the game justice because it never made me feel helpless or tense like other RE titles did (I almost feel like I'm nitpicking now but these are real concerns that I had playing this game).

The game also severely lacks puzzles, and there is hardly a lack of ammunition at any point.
When I was battling Neil, I ran out of ammo but the game was rewarding me with random ammunition as a result, which was quite weird.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the game because I did. Co-op is really fun and I love how the differences between the protagonists come into play throughout the game, but there is a clear distinction between great RE games and decent ones.

Last edited:

Cure Zombrex

I really enjoyed this game too. Sure, it is quite similar to 4 and 5. Etc. It is pretty atmospheric. The Afflicted are also somewhat similar to zombies, which makes it more like RE than 7 is.

And you get to play as Barry, too! What's not to like?

Albert-WeskerGR

Yes, it's definitely underrated. It's my 2nd best choice after Re 6, i love it. <3
Re 4 & 5 are a different story. :p I mean i love them too, but not as much as this title. XD

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
As some of you might remember, Revelations 2 is my favourite RE of all times. It even managed to dethrone RE1 and 2, which I didn't think was possible before I played it, and my only real complaint is how they handled Claire (both her new voice and her new personality, or lack thereof), but that doesn't ruin the fun for me.

But is it underrated? Not sure. "Underrated" would imply that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, and that just doesn't seem to be the case. According to this poll I created shortly after the game's full release, the majority of the users here who voted clearly enjoyed it, and so far I haven't met a single person who didn't like it at all, even though it's not a numbered main title and wasn't made with the same resources.

I would say, though, that the Revelations series in general is underrated, because despite how much everyone enjoyed the first or the second or both entries, I hardly see anyone asking for a Revelations 3. Besides me, that is, because I'm a lot more interested in the Revelations series than in a continuation of RE7.

BioLence

As some of you might remember, Revelations 2 is my favourite RE of all times. It even managed to dethrone RE1 and 2, which I didn't think was possible before I played it, and my only real complaint is how they handled Claire (both her new voice and her new personality, or lack thereof), but that doesn't ruin the fun for me.

But is it underrated? Not sure. "Underrated" would imply that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves, and that just doesn't seem to be the case. According to this poll I created shortly after the game's full release, the majority of the users here who voted clearly enjoyed it, and so far I haven't met a single person who didn't like it at all, even though it's not a numbered main title and wasn't made with the same resources.

I would say, though, that the Revelations series in general is underrated, because despite how much everyone enjoyed the first or the second or both entries, I hardly see anyone asking for a Revelations 3. Besides me, that is, because I'm a lot more interested in the Revelations series than in a continuation of RE7.

I hated this game with a passion before it came out when i saw it was copying aspects from TEW. And then when i played it i loved it. I was blown away about the fact that even tho this was a budget game, i enjoyed it more than RE5, RE6 and Revelations 1 combined. I actually REALLY like the aiming in this game. But hey, dethrone BIO96 and RE2????:eek: :mad:NOOOOOUUU:mad: :razz:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think Revelations 2 is very underrated. The Revelations series in general just doesn't seem to have the same recognition and appeal of the main series and usually becomes an afterthought. Which is unfortunate considering Revelations 2 in particular was the sequel Resident Evil 5 deserved. Not only that though, but it felt like it was taking the series back to a place it hasn't been in for so long.

The first Revelations attempted this first, but was ultimately held back due to the fact that it was just another BSAA mission and featured a bunch of wacky characters that completely threw the tone out the window, along with its forced action stages which consisted of fighting hordes of the same enemy. Its storytelling however, was a great step in the right direction, which carried over to Revelations 2 with its cliff hanger endings and twists that brought back that sense of mystery the series has been missing for so long.

Revelations 2 even took this further by touching on the big question left by Resident Evil 5, Alex Wesker. This wasn't just another villain of the day pointless spin-off title, this felt like the start to a whole new meaningful chapter in Resident Evil and not just convoluted nonsense like RE6.

Revelations 2 even improved over the gameplay last seen in RE6, by bringing back the tightness of the tank controls from RE5 while also implementing and improving on mechanics from Revelations and RE6, and even adding the ability to crouch. This game is a huge reason why I hate the invalid argument people like to use about fans displeased with RE7's gameplay, by saying they're just "stuck in the past." Revelations 2's gameplay is a culmination of all the changes and improvements that have come before, while still adding to it, and despite being drastically different from what the original games or even what RE4 and RE5 allowed, the core gameplay is there.

But that's enough stroking. I really enjoyed Revelations 2, but it wasn't perfect. Capcom had all the right ingredients for an amazing modern Resident Evil experience, but just didn't know how to use them. By the end of the game, they dropped the ball on the story and made Alex a lot less compelling.

The linear structure and episodic release also hurt the experience for me as its content didn't feel implemented naturally and instead further highlighted how chopped up the experience was. One episode has you navigating inside tight corridors, another has you back tracking through an open space, the third has you solving puzzles, and the last was the lab. These are all essential elements to a Resident Evil game but dividing them into sections kind of cheapens their inclusion. Not to mention, wastes the potential of the game's amazing setting.

Had Capcom been serious about going back to the series' roots, and designed the game like a classic Resident Evil game, like they attempted with RE7, and actually gave the game the budget to not have to recycle boss fights and enemies, I truly believe Revelations 2 could have been a return to the series' roots that all fans could have happily agreed on.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I hated this game with a passion before it came out when i saw it was copying aspects from TEW.

I understand what you mean, but if that was a reason to hate something, then all modern games, books, and movies should be hated because all of them redo something that has been done before. (And how could they not, when everything pretty much has already been done before?) Revelations 2 does not only copy from The Evil Within, but Barry's campaign also feels like a homage to The Last Of Us, and that game in turn copied the zombie apocalypse plot, merely changing the root of all evil from a virus to a fungus. I don't really care about such things anymore, though, I'll take a good copy over a bad original any day.

But hey, dethrone BIO96 and RE2????:eek: :mad:NOOOOOUUU:mad: :razz:

To be honest, Bio96 has long been dethroned by the remake anyway, so... :razz:

By the end of the game, they dropped the ball on the story and made Alex a lot less compelling.

It's a shame that Alex just turned into another insane monster who was defeated in the same game she first appeared in... or was she? I agree they shouldn't have put her on the same path as everyone else like that (unless that's not what you meant by "dropped the ball"... if so, please correct me), but what intrigues me about Alex is that she's the first villain to actually win, even in the good ending. Her "brother" might have survived more games, but never really got what he wanted in the end because of CHRIIIIIISSSS!!!!, whereas Alex did, and now she can keep wreaking havoc as Natalia, who, for a change, is not as obviously evil as all the other villains so far.

But who knows if anything will ever come out of that, or if it will be lost and forgotten like the "revelation" at the end of Revelations 1...

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's a shame that Alex just turned into another insane monster who was defeated in the same game she first appeared in... or was she? I agree they shouldn't have put her on the same path as everyone else like that (unless that's not what you meant by "dropped the ball"... if so, please correct me), but what intrigues me about Alex is that she's the first villain to actually win, even in the good ending. Her "brother" might have survived more games, but never really got what he wanted in the end because of CHRIIIIIISSSS!!!!, whereas Alex did, and now she can keep wreaking havoc as Natalia, who, for a change, is not as obviously evil as all the other villains so far.

But who knows if anything will ever come out of that, or if it will be lost and forgotten like the "revelation" at the end of Revelations 1...

Well, by dropped the ball, I mean turning her into a little girl. Alex's whole character actually felt really botched. We didn't get to see much of her before she blew her brains out and became a monster. And the fact that her entire motivation is based on the fear of getting old was kind of weak. Nothing about her character reflects how highly Spencer had praised her.

I actually really liked her monster form and would have actually preferred if she had failed. That way, she would have been more of a tragic figure who has to live with becoming the very thing she didn't want to be become, further fueling her anger and motivating her agenda. Having her run things behind the scenes as a hooded monster and possibly mutating even further, while still being in complete control of her mind and actions could have been an interesting way to take things.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Oh, okay... I had it completely backwards then. :lol:

Well, if her motivation was really the fear of getting old, I could totally understand that. :razz: But wasn't illness her primary concern? You know, when someone regularly coughs in any work of fiction, it's always a sign that they're fatally ill, and since Alex does just that, I think that was the actual reason for her eleventh hour panic. I mean, if she was really that superficial, wouldn't it have made more sense to only kidnap beautiful young women as potential vessels?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Oh, okay... I had it completely backwards then. :lol:

Well, if her motivation was really the fear of getting old, I could totally understand that. :razz: But wasn't illness her primary concern? You know, when someone regularly coughs in any work of fiction, it's always a sign that they're fatally ill, and since Alex does just that, I think that was the actual reason for her eleventh hour panic. I mean, if she was really that superficial, wouldn't it have made more sense to only kidnap beautiful young women as potential vessels?

I don't remember the game too well, but I recall there being some kind of mention of her not being happy with her aging body, which came off superficial. Might've been a file. I think she was definitely sick though which was probably the main reason for the whole body swap. But even then, this is a series where cloning exists... can't she just transfer her mind into a clone body?

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Personally Resident Evil 4 was one of my least favorite linear games, with only Nemesis being worse in my opinion. As for Revelations 2, it didn't strike me as a particularly bad game, but the fact that after not having played it for a couple of years and really not being able to recall anything mind blowing should say something in and of itself. The story was kinda meh for me and I didn't like the co-op scenarios where the characters played by one person and another (in my case it was myself and my husband) always seems very mismatched, ie Barry's Campaign. There are other games that I haven't played for much longer, several years even, that I have much fonder memories of, Oh, wow, that was an amazing story/twist/character/etc, whereas with RE:RE2 all that I really enjoyed was Raid Mode to be honest, which is sad because I'm not in these games for Mercs or Raid (not that I don't like them but I'd rather have a good main game than side games). So I guess in summation, no, I don't think it's underrated.

Top Bottom