• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revelations 2 Best game since RE4? (Seriously Underrated)

Is Revelations 2 underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
whereas Alex did, and now she can keep wreaking havoc as Natalia, who, for a change, is not as obviously evil as all the other villains so far.
I would love for there to be another Revelations game that shows this. This is honestly the only thing I took away from Revelations 2... That and, you know, Barry's still awesome and WTF happened to Claire along the way. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game and I really, really enjoyed it, it just left me wanting something else; something that I feel could be even better.

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't remember the game too well, but I recall there being some kind of mention of her not being happy with her aging body, which came off superficial. Might've been a file. I think she was definitely sick though which was probably the main reason for the whole body swap. But even then, this is a series where cloning exists... can't she just transfer her mind into a clone body?

The gist of what Alex writes about age and death is that physical aging cannot be stopped, the body will inevitably perish no matter what, and only the mind can transcend. It's the thought of her brilliant mind being lost that scares her, not her hair turning grey, if what she says to Natalia in the final cutscene of Barry's third chapter is to be believed. Regarding Natalia as the new vessel, there's a file saying that her age is a problem that time will take care of. So Alex doesn't actually want to be a little girl, it is even considered a "problem", but one that will eventually solve itself, and keep in mind that she considered older (even male) vessels as well. Christmas Girl wasn't chosen because she was the youngest, but because she had the strongest mind. But of course, the younger the vessel, the longer she can use it before she has to start looking for a new one, so youth does have its obvious advantages when your goal is to live forever.

As for the cloning thing, well, that's something RE6 introduced years later (chronologically; I do realise Rev2 came out after 6, but is set earlier), and while Simmons may or may not have somehow gotten his hands on Alex's research to override Carla's original mind with Ada's, I don't think Alex had the C-virus-related cloning technology yet. That's not what she was researching anyway. And even if she did create a new identical copy of herself from the ground up using some other method, that copy would likely come with the same afflictions as the original body, which defeats the purpose.

(Sorry, I'll stop being a smartass now. I just really, really liked the story of this game, thought about it a lot, and kind of identified with Alex. She even cosplayed me at one point, how sweet is that!)

I would love for there to be another Revelations game that shows this. This is honestly the only thing I took away from Revelations 2... That and, you know, Barry's still awesome and WTF happened to Claire along the way. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game and I really, really enjoyed it, it just left me wanting something else; something that I feel could be even better.

I'll print out the bold part and hang it on my wall if you don't mind, because it perfectly summarises my thoughts and captures my feelings about Claire's representation in this game.

Besides, I've been thinking about opening a new thread about hopes, wishes, and theories concerning a possible Revelations 3. Would anyone be interested in that?

BioLence

I understand what you mean, but if that was a reason to hate something, then all modern games, books, and movies should be hated because all of them redo something that has been done before. (And how could they not, when everything pretty much has already been done before?) Revelations 2 does not only copy from The Evil Within, but Barry's campaign also feels like a homage to The Last Of Us, and that game in turn copied the zombie apocalypse plot, merely changing the root of all evil from a virus to a fungus. I don't really care about such things anymore, though, I'll take a good copy over a bad original any day.

To be honest, Bio96 has long been dethroned by the remake anyway, so... :razz:

It's a shame that Alex just turned into another insane monster who was defeated in the same game she first appeared in... or was she? I agree they shouldn't have put her on the same path as everyone else like that (unless that's not what you meant by "dropped the ball"... if so, please correct me), but what intrigues me about Alex is that she's the first villain to actually win, even in the good ending. Her "brother" might have survived more games, but never really got what he wanted in the end because of CHRIIIIIISSSS!!!!, whereas Alex did, and now she can keep wreaking havoc as Natalia, who, for a change, is not as obviously evil as all the other villains so far.

But who knows if anything will ever come out of that, or if it will be lost and forgotten like the "revelation" at the end of Revelations 1...

In all fairness, it didn´t just copy TEW in an ¨i´m just doing what everyone else is doing¨ way, and it wasn´t a coincidence either.

Original Trilogy are the most important games. REmake surpases 96 in many ways but lacks qualities that 96 has. Now if RE games could talk, REmake would say this: :lol:

Alex transcended into another ¨vessel¨ (Natalia) just like Ruvik did with Leslie and i think it´s possible that the supposed resident evil game in the works besides RE2make might have more Natalia/Alex.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Besides, I've been thinking about opening a new thread about hopes, wishes, and theories concerning a possible Revelations 3. Would anyone be interested in that?
Splendid idea! I haven't played Resident Evil 7 yet so I may be totally out of bounds by saying this, but I think the Revelations games are the best thing to happen to Resident Evil since Code Veronica and I honestly don't think either of them get enough credit for truly trying to bring Resident Evil back to its roots.

I'll print out the bold part and hang it on my wall if you don't mind, because it perfectly summarises my thoughts and captures my feelings about Claire's representation in this game.
Like honestly? They took one of the most likable, relatable characters in the series and turned her into an emotionally stunted... Leon.:rolleyes:

Did. Not. Appreciate.

And how are you going to take someone who has always been good with children, has been babysitting kids in her every appearance since her creation - cause Steve was the very definition of a child, way worse than Sherry - and then just all of a sudden make her insensitive and awkward around tiny people, just to make a new character, who is very much a child herself, seem more important? Not cool, Capcom.

Turo602

The King of Kings
The gist of what Alex writes about age and death is that physical aging cannot be stopped, the body will inevitably perish no matter what, and only the mind can transcend. It's the thought of her brilliant mind being lost that scares her, not her hair turning grey, if what she says to Natalia in the final cutscene of Barry's third chapter is to be believed. Regarding Natalia as the new vessel, there's a file saying that her age is a problem that time will take care of. So Alex doesn't actually want to be a little girl, it is even considered a "problem", but one that will eventually solve itself, and keep in mind that she considered older (even male) vessels as well. Christmas Girl wasn't chosen because she was the youngest, but because she had the strongest mind. But of course, the younger the vessel, the longer she can use it before she has to start looking for a new one, so youth does have its obvious advantages when your goal is to live forever.

As for the cloning thing, well, that's something RE6 introduced years later (chronologically; I do realise Rev2 came out after 6, but is set earlier), and while Simmons may or may not have somehow gotten his hands on Alex's research to override Carla's original mind with Ada's, I don't think Alex had the C-virus-related cloning technology yet. That's not what she was researching anyway. And even if she did create a new identical copy of herself from the ground up using some other method, that copy would likely come with the same afflictions as the original body, which defeats the purpose.

Well like I said, it's been a while so I'll definitely refamiliarize myself with the game again, hopefully sometime soon. But that cutscene makes me believe that those were indeed things she feared, otherwise why say it? Especially since Alex believes herself to have conquered her fears.

Though speaking of male vessels, she should have just taken Jake since he's so goddamn special for absolutely no reason considering Wesker himself was merely human when that punk was conceived. But anyway, why would Natalia having a strong mind be good for Alex if she wants to take over her mind? I thought her hatred of her stemmed from the fact that she was superior to her, thus, not letting her take over her mind.

But what afflictions would that be? Didn't she get sick with an incurable disease late in her life? She could still spend a solid 20 years or so in her body.

And yes, you should definitely make that thread.

In all fairness, it didn´t just copy TEW in an ¨i´m just doing what everyone else is doing¨ way, and it wasn´t a coincidence either.

Alex transcended into another ¨vessel¨ (Natalia) just like Ruvik did with Leslie and i think it´s possible that the supposed resident evil game in the works besides RE2make might have more Natalia/Alex.

The game came out months after The Evil Within, I doubt they had enough time to make any significant changes to the game's story or gameplay just to copy The Evil Within. Even then, that's hardly an original idea for The Evil Within to claim.

And how are you going to take someone who has always been good with children, has been babysitting kids in her every appearance since her creation - cause Steve was the very definition of a child, way worse than Sherry - and then just all of a sudden make her insensitive and awkward around tiny people, just to make a new character, who is very much a child herself, seem more important?

Not to mention also shoots little kids.

Last edited:

BioLence

The game came out months after The Evil Within, I doubt they had enough time to make any significant changes to the game's story or gameplay just to copy The Evil Within. Even then, that's hardly an original idea for The Evil Within to claim.

It wasn´t a last minute decission, more like planned since the beginning or during development. And i´m pretty sure these guys are more aware of what the competition is doing than we think.

I mean, this aint no coincidence, look at the enemy designs, being able to crouch and stealth kill (don´t give me the TLOU crap please) lol. The overall tone and gameplay of both games are very similar, not to mention the villain is basicaly the same thing but female. I loved this game but one thing is to try to do you´re own thing with influences and another is to intentionally copy chet in this manner.

latest

odpzwcfqswygl0o0umx4.jpg

latest

1afbc5061232aaefa382670d4e8f7b10.jpg

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Alex transcended into another ¨vessel¨ (Natalia) just like Ruvik did with Leslie.

Yeah, Revelations 2 came out one year after The Evil Within, but the Tomb Raider reboot came out even before that, also featuring a body-surfing villain (albeit one that uses some kind of obscure magic rather than science), so you could argue that they both copied it from Tomb Raider. But as Turo said, the idea wasn't exactly new back then either.

Like honestly? They took one of the most likable, relatable characters in the series and turned her into an emotionally stunted... Leon.:rolleyes:

Did. Not. Appreciate.

And how are you going to take someone who has always been good with children, has been babysitting kids in her every appearance since her creation - cause Steve was the very definition of a child, way worse than Sherry - and then just all of a sudden make her insensitive and awkward around tiny people, just to make a new character, who is very much a child herself, seem more important? Not cool, Capcom.

I'm sure there would have been other ways to make Moira important while still not retconning Claire's established personality, but well, that is one problem with the Revelations series in general: While it's pretty good at introducing interesting new characters, it just doesn't know how to handle already existing ones. Look at Jill and Chris in Revelations 1, they're just as bland and boring there as Claire is in 2, totally overshadowed by the other characters in the same game. Barry is a notable exception, but he hasn't really been around since RE1, so you could almost call him a new character too and get away with it.

But anyway, why would Natalia having a strong mind be good for Alex if she wants to take over her mind? I thought her hatred of her stemmed from the fact that she was superior to her, thus, not letting her take over her mind.

It says in one file that the vessel must have a strong mind to survive the transfer, Natalia just turned out to be too strong, as predicted by Stuart, and ruined Alex's plans... or something like that. Alex certainly didn't take her own survival into account when she shot herself after preparing Natalia for the procedure, but when she did survive, she turned insane out of fear that there is now another, superior, non-monster version of her running around. Or maybe she had fallen victim to the illusion that she herself would awaken in Natalia's body, rather than just a copy of her conscience... I'm not really sure, but I think finding themselves in a situation like Alex's would make anyone question where their soul is.

But what afflictions would that be? Didn't she get sick with an incurable disease late in her life? She could still spend a solid 20 years or so in her body.

Who knows, the game never goes into detail about Alex's disease. In fact, I don't even remember it outright telling us that she is sick in the first place, that's just something I and many others concluded from her incurable cough of doom, and the repeated mention of "time running out" in the files. But the question is, can you even just "catch" a terminal illness like a cold, if you don't already have a physical disposition to it? The only thing that comes to my mind is Aids, but I'm neither a doctor nor a scientist, so I don't know. Then again, Alex is a brilliant scientist, the brightest of the Wesker children according to Spencer, so she probably would have found a way to cure her disease if it was somehow curable (with viruses or otherwise), and if it wasn't curable even with her means, then it must have been something really serious that doesn't just befall you out of nowhere.

BioLence

Yeah, Revelations 2 came out one year after The Evil Within, but the Tomb Raider reboot came out even before that, also featuring a body-surfing villain (albeit one that uses some kind of obscure magic rather than science), so you could argue that they both copied it from Tomb Raider. But as Turo said, the idea wasn't exactly new back then either.

It came out 4 months and a half after TEW, not a year after. I just wanted to point out that copying stuff like that when they could have totally done they´re own thing was a lame move tbh.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It came out 4 months and a half after TEW, not a year after. I just wanted to point out that copying stuff like that when they could have totally done they´re own thing was a lame move tbh.

Those pictures you posted isn't really solid evidence that they copied anything though. If anything, those are just generic monster designs that anyone can come up with. Not to mention, the revenant itself is more of a rip-off of their very own regeneradors and oozes. Though it's quite funny that you'd shame Revelations 2 for copying but not The Evil Within, when that itself is a Resident Evil rip-off.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I'm sure there would have been other ways to make Moira important while still not retconning Claire's established personality, but well, that is one problem with the Revelations series in general: While it's pretty good at introducing interesting new characters, it just doesn't know how to handle already existing ones. Look at Jill and Chris in Revelations 1, they're just as bland and boring there as Claire is in 2, totally overshadowed by the other characters in the same game. Barry is a notable exception, but he hasn't really been around since RE1, so you could almost call him a new character too and get away with it.
Agreed on all points. I was super disappointed about Jill and Chris's zero character development. I mean, if we were being completely honest, no game back in the day had overly complex characters, except for MGS, so I don't blame the original three for omitting personality from the characters but Revelations? Come on. There's no excuse for not fleshing our original mains out a bit.

To be completely honest, I think Barry is the only one who benefitted from being in a Revelations game. I feel like they definitely showed us a lot more of who he is and what makes him tick while still sticking true to what little we knew about him from before, which basically boiled down to him being a family man. Not really a lot to go on but at least they didn't abandon it and run with something else.

Looking at you, Claire!:eek:

Reactions: Hel

BioLence

You're right, The Evil Within is very original stuff with unique ideas and designs not at all based on anything. Nails and barbed wire, very creative stuff.

Never said such thing. You´re putting words in my mouth lol Why?. Bro, i mean, you ignored all the evidence i provided and you´re not providing anything but stinky breath for god´s sake. I don´t know if you´re a chick or a dude or a permanent troll account, i don´t know how to talk to you anymore bud xD

What do you need, a letter from Capcom confirming it?.

If you saw this and realized i was banging your wife would you need to talk to her later in private to confirm it? xD

26731194_864425310403162_316638744074514299_n.png.jpg

Turo602

The King of Kings
Never said such thing. You´re putting words in my mouth lol Why?. Bro, i mean, you ignored all the evidence i provided and you´re not providing anything but stinky breath for god´s sake. I don´t know if you´re a chick or a dude or a permanent troll account, i don´t know how to talk to you anymore bud xD

What do you need, a letter from Capcom confirming it?.

If you saw this and realized i was banging your wife would you need to talk to her later in private to confirm it? xD
26731194_864425310403162_316638744074514299_n.png.jpg

You didn't refute it either, and instead ignored the opportunity to state whether or not you thought so in favor of a cute response. Seems like you're the one who's impossible to talk to. Especially since you seem to get offended whenever people disagree with you and feel the need to take dumb jabs.

You haven't provided anything but mere speculation and baseless assumptions like "they stole crouching and stealth from The Evil Within" while immediately dismissing The Last of Us as if it somehow reinforces your claim because you say so... Then you use the similarity between Alex and Ruvik transferring their consciousness as another reason despite the only way anyone could have known that was the plot of The Evil Within was to have actually played through the story considering that was a huge revelation in the game. So you mean to tell me that Capcom developed their entire plot in the four months between each game's release? Then you show me 4 pictures of which only 2 look alike. Such great evidence you have there.

Anyway, I don't care anymore. I'm done interacting with you on this forum. It's clear you're not mature enough to talk with others without getting all butthurt about something. I don't need another ResidentDevil spewing garbage at me whenever we disagree.

BioLence

You didn't refute it either, and instead ignored the opportunity to state whether or not you thought so in favor of a cute response. Seems like you're the one who's impossible to talk to. Especially since you seem to get offended whenever people disagree with you and feel the need to take dumb jabs.

You haven't provided anything but mere speculation and baseless assumptions like "they stole crouching and stealth from The Evil Within" while immediately dismissing The Last of Us as if it somehow reinforces your claim because you say so... Then you use the similarity between Alex and Ruvik transferring their consciousness as another reason despite the only way anyone could have known that was the plot of The Evil Within was to have actually played through the story considering that was a huge revelation in the game. So you mean to tell me that Capcom developed their entire plot in the four months between each game's release? Then you show me 4 pictures of which only 2 look alike. Such great evidence you have there.

Anyway, I don't care anymore. I'm done interacting with you on this forum. It's clear you're not mature enough to talk with others without getting all butthurt about something. I don't need another ResidentDevil spewing garbage at me whenever we disagree.

Oportunity to talk to a cancerous faceless pal like you is not something that excites me in the least. And you´re the one who talks to me every single time pretending you wanna talk about something huhuhu. You´re basically blaming me of everything you do and ARE. Dude, you´re only agenda regarding me is to ¨come back at me¨ in whatever miserable way you can just to be a B. You are meant to not be taken seriously, more like joke. I saw you going Carrie´s mom on people in youtube over the RE2make and now you pop up here pretending that you´re chill and all, GTFO bro. Saturday Night Live would work.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I enjoyed the game the same as Revelations 1 (which I enjoyed as well as RE5, quite a bit), but I'll play Revelations 2 when my save files stop wiping.
I swear to god, I leave it alone more than week and I have to start back from Square 1. Over a hundred hours in Raid Mode, gone.

Cure Zombrex

I've been playing it this week. I'm at the part where Moira has to get the dummy eyeball by walking on the hidden footprints on the floor. It is quite a tricky, yet very brief puzzle of sorts.

Top Bottom