• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) How should I play the stories?

GMX2000

So I just started playing the game and I chose Leon A because I've played RE4 and I like Leon, whereas I've never heard of Claire. I worked through that scenario and now it seems to have unlocked Claire B. I had assumed it would unlock Leon B. Looking around I read in a couple places that Claire A/Leon B is supposed to be "canon." Should I now go to Claire A then Leon B, or just play through Claire B and be satisfied?

Basically I want to experience the game's full story (as it fits into the overall RE timeline) with as little repetition as possible. Is Claire A basically just Leon A with Claire? Or does she mostly get to do her own thing? I saw her with that little girl when I got on the train at the end of the game, so I assume there's a fair amount different on her story, but I just wanted to be sure...

Also, please no spoilers! :) I know some things about the overall RE2 story but not details.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Assuming you're playing the PS1 version, RE2 has two discs: Disc 1 is Leon and Disc 2 is Claire. If I understand correctly, popping in a disc and starting a new game begins A Scenario. When you insert the next disc and load the save game from the 1st disc, it begins the B Scenario.

Next, people say that Claire A Leon B is the correct and canon scenario because Ada Wong, a major character in Resident Evil 4 (and as much as I hate to say it, 6) survives the whole way through Claire A Leon B but pretty definitively dies in Leon A Claire B.

Ada's fate being ambiguous is not a gigantic spoiler anymore, by the way.

GMX2000

you should play code veronica X and RE4 and 5.6 to fully understand the game story
Yeah I've played 4 and I've seen 5, I don't know anything about Code Veronica or 6. I just wanted to know how I should play 2

Assuming you're playing the PS1 version, RE2 has two discs: Disc 1 is Leon and Disc 2 is Claire. If I understand correctly, popping in a disc and starting a new game begins A Scenario. When you insert the next disc and load the save game from the 1st disc, it begins the B Scenario.

Next, people say that Claire A Leon B is the correct and canon scenario because Ada Wong, a major character in Resident Evil 4 (and as much as I hate to say it, 6) survives the whole way through Claire A Leon B but pretty definitively dies in Leon A Claire B.

Ada's fate being ambiguous is not a gigantic spoiler anymore, by the way.
Ok so would you recommend me to switch to Claire A then? I'm playing the Gamecube version btw. I just want to know whether Claire A or Leon B will overlap too much (in other words, things like going through the same areas, doing the same puzzles, fighting the same enemies, etc.) with Leon A.

Also yeah I knew about Ada from playing 4

KevinStriker

Ok so would you recommend me to switch to Claire A then? I'm playing the Gamecube version btw. I just want to know whether Claire A or Leon B will overlap too much (in other words, things like going through the same areas, doing the same puzzles, fighting the same enemies, etc.) with Leon A.

If you want to experience the story as it fits into the canon, then yes.
And I think the two scenarios are different enough. In each scenario, Leon and Claire literally go in opposite directions after the police cruiser crash in the intro.

GMX2000

If you want to experience the story as it fits into the canon, then yes.
And I think the two scenarios are different enough. In each scenario, Leon and Claire literally go in opposite directions after the police cruiser crash in the intro.
Alright, thanks. :)

KevinStriker

I must warn you, B Scenario is harder than A. Two words: Mister X.
By what margin, that's for you to decide, but a Tyrant in a longcoat popping out on occasion makes it harder, for sure.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
I must warn you, B Scenario is harder than A. Two words: Mister X.
By what margin, that's for you to decide, but a Tyrant in a longcoat popping out on occasion makes it harder, for sure.
Tyrant dame that guy dosent fall easly bro hes on my top list strongest bioweapon all time looool

AdaWait

Your right hand comes off?
I am still rather confused about the canon of A and B. Ada apparently dies in Leon A, but not in Leon B. It has been a while since I've played the game, but in Scenario A for Leon, does she not drop off a platform? I always thought that she didn't die from that. In Leon B, I think she gets hit by Mr.X and supposedly dies.

In neither scenario do you actually confirm her death I don't think and it was probably deliberately made that way.

KevinStriker

I am still rather confused about the canon of A and B. Ada apparently dies in Leon A, but not in Leon B. It has been a while since I've played the game, but in Scenario A for Leon, does she not drop off a platform? I always thought that she didn't die from that. In Leon B, I think she gets hit by Mr.X and supposedly dies.

In neither scenario do you actually confirm her death I don't think and it was probably deliberately made that way.

A punch is just easier to walk off than a fall from a high place, I guess.

AdaWait

Your right hand comes off?
I guess I always thought she lived because I mostly played the A scenario as to avoid Mr.X. She's a special agent so I figured she wouldn't die so easily. Although there is a pretty audible *thump* when she falls.

Top Bottom