• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Is anyone else really, really excited for the 3rd person mode?

Excited?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I've had to skip the last two, mainline RE games due to the 1st person perspective. I'm prone to vestibular migraines, and I've gotten one every single time I've played a 1st person game, so I just don't touch them. I really thought new, non-REmake games were going to be lost to me forever, so seeing this announcement has given me a lot of hope!

So, I'm curious; Are you all looking forward to it? Do you even care about it at all?

Turo602

The King of Kings
I only played through Village twice so I am looking forward to playing it again in third-person to get the rest of the achievements. I have no gripe with first-person games, but that type of experience isn't why I play Resident Evil and so it's always put me off. But I am excited at the prospect of this becoming the norm moving forward. Now if only they could get their sh*t together creatively and make the stories feel like Resident Evil again.

Ikawaru

Yes, I am excited and it's definitely a start in the right direction. Turns out it wasn't 3rd person that made RE4-6 bad in retrospect but it's over the top action that now feels severely diluted because it appears the rest of the industry, in particular the action/shooter genre, has now surpassed them in terms of quality, leaving those RE titles looking ridiculous and extremely unfaithful to the series origins.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I voted No on this only because I think 1st person suited the game pretty well and realistically I probably will never play it in 3rd person. I totally get why others would prefer 3rd person but personally in this case, I will stick to 1st person.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
For some reason it feels ”weird” to see Ethan in third person, especially after all those broken third person mods for RE7 that made him look like a rubber man when moving. Still excited, though, and very excited about Capcom possibly moving away from first person entirely in RE9.

SpaceOwlHoot

I'm looking forward to it and will play it in third-person since they'll offer it but really, really excited? Nah, I would have been ok if they didn't offer it.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I most likely won't be going back to the main story so I can't say that it is particularly exciting to me in the sense that I won't directly receive the benefits, but I do like the implications. Giving the new DLC campaign and the base story 3rd person compatibility suggests they might be more interested in keeping a 3rd person approach going forward, which I would like. The switch to 1st person felt like RE was trying to latch onto trends of other successful horror games of the time rather than staying true to itself. Also, I will never understand the choice to very consciously make sure you can never see Ethan's face when the entire buildup of a two-game arc is his death and how much we're supposed to care about that. Why would they make Ethan's character the emotional core of the game while also not even letting us see what he looks like? It truly makes no sense to me.

More than anything though, I just hope they introduce 3rd person to the mercenaries mode as well. They didn't mention anything about it in the announcement or trailer so I'm almost certain they won't, but considering there will be 4 different characters to choose from, it would feel much more distinctive if you could actually see the character you're playing as.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I just realized something related to the 3rd person; how are the new cutscenes going to play out during which NPC's talk and you can't move? Will they happen simultaneously in 3rd person or will they actually cut to close-ups of characters talking in order to make it more "cinematic"?

Turo602

The King of Kings
I just realized something related to the 3rd person; how are the new cutscenes going to play out during which NPC's talk and you can't move? Will they happen simultaneously in 3rd person or will they actually cut to close-ups of characters talking in order to make it more "cinematic"?
I thought about that too. Maybe it'll be like a reverse Halo: Infinite where the camera just seamlessly transitions into first-person for cutscenes and zooms back out to third-person for gameplay.

Dr. Cheesesteak

I know RE7 and RE8 aren't quite the same in design/horror sensibilities, but I liked RE8 sticking to the FP mode of its predecessor. It gave these new non-remake and Ethan games a unique identity in the series. Now...that uniqueness is somewhat gone.

Ikawaru

Hopefully 7 gets it as well

I don't think it would work for 7 as it is far more claustrophobic and was clearly designed with fps horror in mind. It would certainly look silly seeing Ethan "running" at tiptoe speed away from Jack.

I mean I suppose they could implement it but they would have to do some serious recoding and reworking of the games functionaries, with Village as well, but certainly less as much, as Village is far more open and action orientated.

Unknown

I don't think it would work for 7 as it is far more claustrophobic and was clearly designed with fps horror in mind. It would certainly look silly seeing Ethan "running" at tiptoe speed away from Jack.

I mean I suppose they could implement it but they would have to do some serious recoding and reworking of the games functionaries, with Village as well, but certainly less as much, as Village is far more open and action orientated.

I think it would, if they can do it for Village I don’t see how they couldn’t make it work in 7 too. Village was designed with first person in mind too and will have took lots of recoding also. And 7 has a tonne of action in its latter half.

SpaceOwlHoot

I'm thinking that at this point if they would add 3rd person to RE7, it would be more as a "fun" feature gamers can use to spend more time playing RE7 and not be concerned with keeping the vibe and atmosphere of first-person.

TonyKushfido

I prefer third person because of situational awareness but I think you should have the option to change. But I can see how first person could be scarier.

Caffeine Addict

I've seen an indie game that allows you to have all of these perspectives by pressing a button. Fixed, first, and third. It's an indie game, of course. So it has very limited appeal.

I do think it's a good idea to bring back third person for these non remakes, as none of the RE Engine sequel games have had third person outside of any additional modes. But I think people wanted to see Ethan's face. So giving us an option for third person, and still not showing Ethan's full body, feels stupid.

Top Bottom