• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Megalodon vs Giant Squid

wesker_awesome

After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
moz-screenshot-3.png
imgres
Place your bets.
Megalodon: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=meg+...tbnw=106&start=97&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:97

Giant Squid: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Gian...&w=480&h=270&ei=6OytTpaQLoTBtgfwhKD-Dg&zoom=1

wesker_awesome

But this is not Megalodon vs Giant Squid? :confused:
It is shark vs man, and giant squid vs man.

After thinking about this a couple moments, my bet is Sam Fisher.
I used those specifically for size comparisons. But who do you really think would win? Megalodon or Giant Squid?

ProtoTypeRaavyn

The Pro Zombie Killer
Giant Squid. A shark let alone a megalodon only has one form of Attack, it's mouth, where as the Qiant Squid would only have to latch on, and hold on. It could chew through any portion of the sharks body that it's beak is closest too. No matter what area the squid actually bites, as long as it keeps bitting it will kill the megalodon. Plus the sucion cups on a giant squid can rip through just about anything, including thin metal.

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
Giant Squid. A shark let alone a megalodon only has one form of Attack, it's mouth, where as the Qiant Squid would only have to latch on, and hold on. It could chew through any portion of the sharks body that it's beak is closest too. No matter what area the squid actually bites, as long as it keeps bitting it will kill the megalodon. Plus the sucion cups on a giant squid can rip through just about anything, including thin metal.
Too right,

The shark is like a heavy weight boxer, it has one swing and one swing only, failure to connect , would see the squid ( more of a wrestler ) take the shark down and strangle the life out of it.

wesker_awesome

Yes but your forgetting a Megalodon, is 60 ft. (on average)- 80ft. While a Giant Squid can only get 50 ft.
Not to mention, the dementions of an average Meg's jaws are 12 ft. high, by 8 ft. wide (large enough to wrap its mouth around the circumference of an African Elephant's body) with 7-9 inch teeth, some teeth even reaching a length of 12 inches. A Giant Squid has a beak nearly the exact same size and shape of a parrot's beak. Not to mention a Meg's bite force is designed to crush whale bones, whale fossils ravaged by Megs have their flukes bitten clean off. A Meg can sense one drop of blood from up to 10 miles away. It can sense the slightest vibrations from up to 2 miles away. In other words the Meg would plan its sneak attack long before the Giant Squid new it was there. Not to mention some scientists theorized that a Giant Squid (living at the same time as Megs up until now) could be a staple of the Meg's diet. And Giant Squid lived back then and today, who is to say Megs don't thrive in the oceans today?

wesker_awesome

Not exactly, if a Squid managed to get its tentacles around the Meg, it wouldn't be able to maintain a grip.
You see, a shark's skin is made up of tiny teeth called "denticles" a shark the size of a Meg would possess denticles the size of a grain of rice, that would sheer skin from muscle and muscle from bone if it were to rub against you. Giant Squids do not possess teeth on their suction cups like the Colossal Squid, therefore there would be no protection against the harsh denticles. If a Squid groped a Meg, its suction cups would be mangled beyond recognition, rendering them useless and unable to suction-grip anything.
Plus with the beak the size of a parrot, taking a chunk a 70 ft. shark would be like a pin-prick to the shark.

Rain611

You can't kill me.

I just had to point out a fatal flaw. You, Sir, are biased, as you've spent the entire time trying to change peoples minds as opposed to considering their opinions and moving on. (Not to mention your obvious obsession [for lack of a better word] for this prehistoric shark.)

That being said, I'm for the Giant Squid, for reasons already mentioned.

wesker_awesome

I just had to point out a fatal flaw. You, Sir, are biased, as you've spent the entire time trying to change peoples minds as opposed to considering their opinions and moving on. (Not to mention your obvious obsession [for lack of a better word] for this prehistoric shark.)

That being said, I'm for the Giant Squid, for reasons already mentioned.
Im just putting up a legit debate.
And as for my obsession, I'm trying to become somewhat of an expert on these magnificent animals.

VP-70

Not exactly, if a Squid managed to get its tentacles around the Meg, it wouldn't be able to maintain a grip.
You see, a shark's skin is made up of tiny teeth called "denticles" a shark the size of a Meg would possess denticles the size of a grain of rice, that would sheer skin from muscle and muscle from bone if it were to rub against you. Giant Squids do not possess teeth on their suction cups like the Colossal Squid, therefore there would be no protection against the harsh denticles. If a Squid groped a Meg, its suction cups would be mangled beyond recognition, rendering them useless and unable to suction-grip anything.

Nice, well seeing the Giant squid still actually exists, i'm sticking with it. Sharks are.....one dimentional. They are far too instinctual.

Your Killer Whale is where it's at. Anyways, whatever, i'm getting off track.

Giant Squid for the win, viva la tenticles

wesker_awesome

Nice, well seeing the Giant squid still actually exists, i'm sticking with it. Sharks are.....one dimentional. They are far too instinctual.

Your Killer Whale is where it's at. Anyways, whatever, i'm getting off track.

Giant Squid for the win, viva la tenticles
Megalodons quite possible still do exist. There are a few sightings. Strangely all the witnesses (sightings over a course of different years) all agree that the 70 ft. shark they just saw was a ghostly whitish color. Makes you think.
And yes sharks do act almost completely on instincts, all animals do including Giant Squid. But the larger the shark the more complex the brain and therefore the smarter the shark is, Whale Sharks are the largest sharks nowadays (except the Megalodon which I am convinced is still alive) and they are capable of distant memories.
Now a Megalodon with a seven foot long brain would be capable of memories, strategy, and even trial and error.
Plus here is where you absolutely cannot deny the Meg's superiority and being the top dog in this fight.
Sperm Whales eat Giant Squid. Megalodons eat Whales including the Leviathan Melville. This whale was far more fearsome than its modern day cousin the Sperm Whale, it possessed teeth on its upper and lowers jaws while Sperm Whales only possess teeth on the lower jaw. And Meg ate these.
Not to mention how can anybody deny the Megs existence in this time period with these cold hard facts.
1. Megs and Giant Squid lived at around the same time.If Giant Squid live today then Megs probably do too.
2. Cealocanth was even more ancient than Meg and it prospers today.
3. There is a graveyard of Spanish Galleons around the the Mariana Trench, which itself contains a graveyard of Meg teeth that range from black to white and brown, that means those white and brown teeth would be about as old as said Spanish Galleons. Spanish Galleons creaked which would mimic vibrations of a dying whale, in other words the shark though the ship was dinner and sunk it.
4. We have only explored 10% of the ocean.
6. Globsters (unrecognizable dead beached animals) wash up on the shore with chunks the size of Garage doors taken out of them. Many scientists (including my old high school science teacher) theorize these were made by Megs.

This thread has turned more serious than I expected.
I think its a pretty sophisticated debate thread. So are you all for team Megalodon?

Double posts merged. Avoid double-posting when possible. It's covered by the rules.
-Moderator fascist.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I think its a pretty sophisticated debate thread. So are you all for team Megalodon?
Yes that's right, and I am for team Megalodon because the name is so cool. No, after checking the picture again it's just a shark-like animal, not a dinosaur. I'm for the giant squid. Have you asked some scientists about their consensus? I hope they also say squid.

VP-70

Megalodons quite possible still do exist. There are a few sightings. Strangely all the witnesses (sightings over a course of different years) all agree that the 70 ft. shark they just saw was a ghostly whitish color. Makes you think.
And yes sharks do act almost completely on instincts, all animals do including Giant Squid. But the larger the shark the more complex the brain and therefore the smarter the shark is, Whale Sharks are the largest sharks nowadays (except the Megalodon which I am convinced is still alive) and they are capable of distant memories.
Now a Megalodon with a seven foot long brain would be capable of memories, strategy, and even trial and error.
Plus here is where you absolutely cannot deny the Meg's superiority and being the top dog in this fight.
Sperm Whales eat Giant Squid. Megalodons eat Whales including the Leviathan Melville. This whale was far more fearsome than its modern day cousin the Sperm Whale, it possessed teeth on its upper and lowers jaws while Sperm Whales only possess teeth on the lower jaw. And Meg ate these.
Not to mention how can anybody deny the Megs existence in this time period with these cold hard facts.
1. Megs and Giant Squid lived at around the same time.If Giant Squid live today then Megs probably do too.
2. Cealocanth was even more ancient than Meg and it prospers today.
3. There is a graveyard of Spanish Galleons around the the Mariana Trench, which itself contains a graveyard of Meg teeth that range from black to white and brown, that means those white and brown teeth would be about as old as said Spanish Galleons. Spanish Galleons creaked which would mimic vibrations of a dying whale, in other words the shark though the ship was dinner and sunk it.
4. We have only explored 10% of the ocean.
6. Globsters (unrecognizable dead beached animals) wash up on the shore with chunks the size of Garage doors taken out of them. Many scientists (including my old high school science teacher) theorize these were made by Megs.

Double posts merged. Avoid double-posting when possible. It's covered by the rules.
-Moderator fascist.

1,Using words like FACT, then following them with words like Probably, doesn't work.

2, I'm pretty sure i don't have to point out the glaring differences between the Cealocanth and megalodon, so all i'll say is that the re-discovery of one creature does not add weight to the view of a species that is widely accepted as being extinct to be flourishing. I think we'd notice something the size of a Megalodon if it' species was flourishing, like the caels.

3,What were the result on the tests done on these teeth if any ?

4, Again, simply because it doesn't show up in the 10% that has been explored, doesn't automatically mean it exists in the other 90%....

5, i can't see your 5th cold hard fact so i can't comment.

6, These '' globsters '' will be easy pickings for many of the oceans fishes and mammals so i don't see why a carcuss that turns up with a large portion of it missing is down to a megalodon...in the game of survival, a carcuss is a winning lottery ticket. Especially when you're trying to carve a life for yourself in an environment that man seems to think is his dumping ground....

The ocean that the megalodon enjoyed is not the same one we currently have...much has changed, and the megalodon is now a museum attraction.

wesker_awesome

Yes that's right, and I am for team Megalodon because the name is so cool. No, after checking the picture again it's just a shark-like animal, not a dinosaur. I'm for the giant squid. Have you asked some scientists about their consensus? I hope they also say squid.
Some museum people, they said Megalodon.

1,Using words like FACT, then following them with words like Probably, doesn't work.

2, I'm pretty sure i don't have to point out the glaring differences between the Cealocanth and megalodon, so all i'll say is that the re-discovery of one creature does not add weight to the view of a species that is widely accepted as being extinct to be flourishing. I think we'd notice something the size of a Megalodon if it' species was flourishing, like the caels.

3,What were the result on the tests done on these teeth if any ?

4, Again, simply because it doesn't show up in the 10% that has been explored, doesn't automatically mean it exists in the other 90%....

5, i can't see your 5th cold hard fact so i can't comment.

6, These '' globsters '' will be easy pickings for many of the oceans fishes and mammals so i don't see why a carcuss that turns up with a large portion of it missing is down to a megalodon...in the game of survival, a carcuss is a winning lottery ticket. Especially when you're trying to carve a life for yourself in an environment that man seems to think is his dumping ground....

The ocean that the megalodon enjoyed is not the same one we currently have...much has changed, and the megalodon is now a museum attraction.
1. Its my statement, I can put whatever I want.
2. Not necessarily, Giant Squids were Urban Legends but before 20 years ago.
3. Do you think scientists really conduct test to find out age? Notice for a T-Rex some scientists will say 10 million years ago, other will say 50 million years ago, is that trustworthy. Take a look for yourself, http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Mega...nw=102&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0does, that look very old?
4. Again, most species including Cealocanth and Giant Squid haven't been found until quite recently.
5. Did it ever occur to you I might have typed a typo, smart guy?
6. Explain why said chunks of missing carcass are so symmetrical?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Wesker awesome, I have merged several of your double posts and I'm getting tired of doing it. So your latest post was not merged, it was deleted. It can be un-deleted, if you promise to stop unnecessary double posting.
Do you have a problem with multi-quoting? I'm not only enforcing rules, I'm here to help you as well, if you have a problem. All you need is ask.

B.Martin

I'm going for the shark, simply because being that big would have been caused by evolution possible due to the gian squid thing being its main diet... I'm also going to put my neck out into this debate and say that they don't exist today, frankly becuase if they did we would have found one by now and it would be a big deal! We have military and scientists scanning the oceean daily something that was 70ft long would not go un-noticed. Finally, there would have to be more than one around as well or they could not survive extiction, which back to my previous point somethings (plural) roaming the ocean over 70ft long would DEFINATELY been spotted by now. It would be nice to think that this megalodon still existed we all like to dream, but there comes a point where reality just has to be accepted.

Top Bottom