• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) Opinions on a Resident Evil 2 REmake

Would you buy a Resident Evil 2 REmake?

• Total voters

Altalic77

Ah, January 21st 1998... The video game "Resident Evil 2" was released for the PlayStation. At the time, it had cutting-edge graphics, a great storyline, wonderful voice-acting (as opposed to its predecessor), and had a re-playability unmatched by most. I remember playing this game younger, and I recall the nostalgic moments I had as I evaded Mr. X, and navigated the tedious halls of the Raccoon City Police Department. That game is (still to this day) one of the scariest/greatest video games I have ever played!

I recently picked up this game over the PlayStation Network for ten bucks. It had been quite a while since the last time I had played, so I was naturally a bit rusty. It was just as great as the last time around. I felt like I was visiting my youth when I was terrified by a Licker crashing through a window. Or perhaps a bit paranoid since I knew what was coming, but I didn't want to get scared. I'm proud to say that nostalgia didn't cloud my judgement on this one.

It really makes me desire a REmake. Being an avid fan of the Resident Evil franchise, I've enjoyed every game. Although, the more recent ones have really deviated from their original games. Such core game-play, and atmospheric attributes of the previous games have been almost completely scrapped. I really detest this change. I don't mind change, as change can bring about great things; but, it can also lead to horrible things. Not to say Resident Evil 4 & 5 are "horrible" games per-se, they're simply attempting to appeal to another audience. Now, to the players who've been around since Resident Evil 1 (such as myself), it kinda felt like a jab at us.

Anyway, let's return to the topic at hand. Would you pay sixty dollars for a Resident Evil 2 REmake? Usually people tend to feel as though great games shouldn't be remade, but I disagree. Capcom seemed to handle Resident Evil 1's REmake very well adding additional areas, new creatures, extra background information on the story, and even going as far as altering some puzzle solutions to throw us veteran players off. Also, what added to Resident Evil 2's re-playability was the option to play as both Claire and Leon.

***I won't talk about Hunk or Tofu. Tofu was basically a silly parody, and Hunk was just one thing. Claire/Leon were the bulk of the video game, so I'll give that the most attention.

As I'm sure most of you know, when you played through one character's storyline, you had the option of switching over to the opposing character's these different experiences were referred to as the "scenarios". Now, which one you played was determined on the previous game's scenario. The default scenario is Scenario A. Once you complete scenario A, you have the option of playing as the other protagonist. The twist is that everything you did in your previous play-through has an effect on their struggles to survive. It literally encouraged you to replay the game, and you wouldn't be disappointed. There were monster differences, dialogue differences, different areas were opened to exploration, and etc. On top of that, if you met certain requirements upon game completion you unlocked two more additional scenarios, infinite ammo, or brand-new weapons.

Now, imagine all that coupled onto two disks, and given the "REmake" treatment. How do you suppose it would go? Would you be willing to pay sixty dollars for it? I know I would!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
$60? Maybe not. It would be a game I'd beaten over and over again after all. I might be willing to go as high as $40.

But, price bargaining aside, I would love to see an RE2 remake, especially graphics wise. I think the RE games were just a little ahead of their time and, as scary as they were, would be much scarier with todays graphics capabilities. If they did so, I would want them to stay with the original control scheme and not alter the story too much. This could also be said about other REs- I probably would pay for a RECVX remake with updated graphics and whatnot. What I WOULD pay big money for would be a fully remade set of 0-CVX, kinda like a box set. All of the originals revamped the way the first RE was, in a pretty little package with Umbrella logos all over it or something lol. It'd be cool if they even added RE4HD and RECVXHD. But now I'm getting a little ahead of myself I think.

Oh, and semi-random thought. Now that (PS3) games are being made on blu-ray discs, I wouldn't really want to bother with a two disc release. I think it would probably be better if it was like the current version of RE2 available on PSN, on which you press the PS button and it brings up a menu that lets you 'change disc's. Tha way you don't have to turn the system on/off or even really get out of RE mode simply to play the next senerio.

I would probably be beside myself with excitement if this was available. I'd probably play it for several hours the first day/night I had it-at least long enough to beat Leon's senerio and maybe Claire's after. While I'd played the PS RE1, RE2 was the first RE that I actually played all the way through with my mom. I would walk in on her playing, and she'd be near the end, talking about, Wtf, I have no ammo! ....Aaaah, good times. XD A little visit to my early RE days couldn't hurt at all.

Cyberote

I would absolutely buy an RE2 REmake. I'd have to say that RE2 is my second favorite game in the franchise and the most wanted for a REmake treatment. I wonder if Capcom will ever break and decide to finally remake it. If they did, it would be simply amazing. The RE1 REmake looked stunning with the new graphics of the Gamecube, but imagine RE2 with 360/PS3 graphics!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I would absolutely buy an RE2 REmake. I'd have to say that RE2 is my second favorite game in the franchise and the most wanted for a REmake treatment. I wonder if Capcom will ever break and decide to finally remake it. If they did, it would be simply amazing. The RE1 REmake looked stunning with the new graphics of the Gamecube, but imagine RE2 with 360/PS3 graphics!
F--k. Yes...

Darkstar Darin

Wesker's secret project. D-Virus.
as if ppl didn't notice (which most of ya prolly didn't) I'm EXTREMELY biased (nr but i'll vote PS3 for most things great) the REmake would have to be on PSN (unlike 1's REmake for GC)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Why would it have to be a PSN thing...why not a whole new game....
as if ppl didn't notice (which most of ya prolly didn't) I'm EXTREMELY biased (nr but i'll vote PS3 for most things great) the REmake would have to be on PSN (unlike 1's REmake for GC)

G-Viruse Infectee

The Ashford Twins. We really are twins.
i think he was meaing just PSN, insted of putting out on all major consols or maybe xbox 360 and ps3, he would want it to just be a PSN download thing. I think if they did do a download thing it would be available for xbla as well as psn.

the silent hill hd collection was just going to be out for ps3 only but i think too many people complained about it, so like a couple of days ago i found out it coming out for xbox too.

so is it realy wise for a game company specialy a big game company to favor one console? no they lose out on possably new fans and old fans and also they might lose a possable profit.

Darkstar Darin

Why would it have to be a PSN thing...why not a whole new game....
Cuz if they re-release the game I think *thinks of possible extras* hmmm...

i think he was meaing just PSN, insted of putting out on all major consols or maybe xbox 360 and ps3, he would want it to just be a PSN download thing. I think if they did do a download thing it would be available for xbla as well as psn.

That's actually what I meant but I only say PSN because with SEGA gone I'm Pro-PlayStation (though recently I've decided to let my grudge against Nintendo go...)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Cuz if they re-release the game I think *thinks of possible extras* hmmm...

That's actually what I meant but I only say PSN because with SEGA gone I'm Pro-PlayStation (though recently I've decided to let my grudge against Nintendo go...)
But what of those who don't have PSN..plus, if youre a die hard fan of RE, like most of the people buying a REmake2 would be, its THAT much nicer to have a cool packaging and a disc and the whole shabang...I mean, i HATE burned CD's...in my opinion its like a fake...sure the album info may come up on iTunes, but at the end of the day you don't have the booklet, or cool CD artwork...that's how i feel about download only games...Well, certain download only games...a game that would be as big as REmake2 would DEFINETLEY need to be a material thing, if not for anymore than collecting for diehards...

Darkstar Darin

But what of those who don't have PSN..plus, if youre a die hard fan of RE, like most of the people buying a REmake2 would be, its THAT much nicer to have a cool packaging and a disc and the whole shabang...I mean, i HATE burned CD's...in my opinion its like a fake...sure the album info may come up on iTunes, but at the end of the day you don't have the booklet, or cool CD artwork...that's how i feel about download only games...Well, certain download only games...a game that would be as big as REmake2 would DEFINETLEY need to be a material thing, if not for anymore than collecting for diehards...
nuthin against everybody else but a die-hard fan would've had a PlayStation seein as it first appeared there (at least in my opinion) n true it would be cool but then Capcom would have to be smart n fair (oh gawd i said that -.-) and re-release 1 n 3 the same way also...maybe CVX n ALL of the other games...but considering the way of Mega Man I'm less than hopeful, I'm just happy they haven't ruined Street Fighter again...

G-Viruse Infectee

The Ashford Twins. We really are twins.
oh yeah...because capcom only cares to make money from one console, regardless what you you think if you had a game company you would want maximise your profits then you will want make games for all console to get the most out of your games.

So please stop with the consoles hate i hate this crapy console war crap all consoles have there streanths and flaws and i had them all so i can compare.

Altalic77

and re-release 1 n 3 the same way also...maybe CVX n ALL of the other games...

They did re-release Resident Evil 1, that was REmake (or REbirth as some people refer to it as). I'm not as ecstatic about Resident Evil 3. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did RE2. Possibly because it was far to expansive. It wasn't as linear as RE2, and because of it I got pretty confused at a few areas during the game. It wasn't really a "bad" addition, per se, but it wasn't a very good one either. CVX is getting the "HD" treatment, that and another title. I'm not entirely sure which one (RE4 I believe?).

Although it isn't a "proper REmake" it's better than nothing I suppose. I think I'll stay with the original. Why, you may ask? Mainly because the "HD" gives it a brighter, and much more vibrant feel. Which seems contradictory to the whole atmosphere Resident Evil itself attempts to create.

Cyberote

Like I said in the RE3 remake section, I think if they DO make a REmake of 2, they should make it so you can play in either static cameras or over-the-shoulder cameras. That way the newer generation can experience classic Resident Evil goodness with the new camera style. That way all RE fans are happy. Though I bet if Capcom announced they were working on REmake 2, there would be a handfull of fans going "Wtf is this? I don't want another stupid remake! Why is Capcom rebooting everything!? I want Resident Evil 7! I HATE Capcom!"

Altalic77

I think if they DO make a REmake of 2, they should make it so you can play in either static cameras or over-the-shoulder cameras

I cannot agree with you. The static camera angles, and odd controls added to, not only the challenge, but the freakish atmosphere. It only reinforced the feeling of sheer terror from our experience. Making an "over-the-shoulder camera" would ruin the overall atmosphere. Although having it as a toggle does bring an overall compromise, I'm sure they'd make it primarily for an "over the shoulder" view-point. From that assumption, I have a feeling they'd mess up the static camera angles SOME WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Or if they perfected the static camera angles, they'd screw up the "over-the-shoulder" view.

Besides the way the old Resident Evils were made, you couldn't have an "over-the-shoulder" view anyway. All of the environments were pre-rendered backgrounds.

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm working to create an RE2 REmake anyway. Simply a new name. I'll call it a clone, rename everything, write a new story, make a few differences, and add a few rooms/puzzles. I'm tired of waiting for a REmake. I'm sure they aren't going to make it anyway. It would take some time, but I could do it. I'd say production, with a team of four/five, could only take about a year and a half (and that's being very generous). Then I'll sell the product for 20$.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
nuthin against everybody else but a die-hard fan would've had a PlayStation seein as it first appeared there (at least in my opinion) n true it would be cool but then Capcom would have to be smart n fair (oh gawd i said that -.-) and re-release 1 n 3 the same way also...maybe CVX n ALL of the other games...but considering the way of Mega Man I'm less than hopeful, I'm just happy they haven't ruined Street Fighter again...
Yes a die-hard would've had a Play Station, but also a PS3 since all the new RE titles are for PS3...So if they already have the console why not get a disc for that console to put with all their other RE games...i'm one of these die-hards...having nearly every game released on nearly every platfom...though i'm missing a few hear and there like Directors Cut (Wich i'm just a couple bucks short of) I even have the PS3 downladed version of RE2...and its just not the same...it wasn't the same playing RE2 as a downloaded version as it was putting the REmake Disc in my Wii...There is just something about that tangible item that makes the collector in my so very proud...Same with music like i said earler...i'd rather be the proud owner of the ENTIRE new CD by a kickass artist rather than just downloading it on iTunes...The world is just not a prideful now that you can download everything...

Darkstar Darin

Yes a die-hard would've had a Play Station, but also a PS3 since all the new RE titles are for PS3...So if they already have the console why not get a disc for that console to put with all their other RE games...i'm one of these die-hards...having nearly every game released on nearly every platfom...though i'm missing a few hear and there like Directors Cut (Wich i'm just a couple bucks short of) I even have the PS3 downladed version of RE2...and its just not the same...it wasn't the same playing RE2 as a downloaded version as it was putting the REmake Disc in my Wii...There is just something about that tangible item that makes the collector in my so very proud...Same with music like i said earler...i'd rather be the proud owner of the ENTIRE new CD by a kickass artist rather than just downloading it on iTunes...The world is just not a prideful now that you can download everything...
i guess Sony just wanted gamers to save time switchin games (only a thought) n i have Director's Cut (haven't beat it though), got it for mah 12th bday n was 2 big a chickens*** to play it -.-*
on the iTunes bit i disagree, cuz i'm broke n can't even get an $8 Anarchy CD from the site (that n i have no credit card) so if i can download a song i will XD

Cyberote

I cannot agree with you. The static camera angles, and odd controls added to, not only the challenge, but the freakish atmosphere. It only reinforced the feeling of sheer terror from our experience. Making an "over-the-shoulder camera" would ruin the overall atmosphere. Although having it as a toggle does bring an overall compromise, I'm sure they'd make it primarily for an "over the shoulder" view-point. From that assumption, I have a feeling they'd mess up the static camera angles SOME WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Or if they perfected the static camera angles, they'd screw up the "over-the-shoulder" view.

I was just trying to think of some way to compromise. I always hear RE fans saying they hate the over-the-shoulder cameras and then the new fans that RE4 and 5 spawned saying they hate the static cams. I'm a fan of both, so I was just trying to think of a way where every RE fan would be happy. With the over-the-shoulder cam, things would be a lot easier what with the whole laser pointer aiming system. So perhaps put in a lot more enemies? My friends said they wanted RE1 with over-the-shoulder cameras and I told them it'd be way too easy with the tight confined hallways of the mansion. But in Raccoon City, there's quite a bit of room. Look at ORC... nevermind. Bad example lol.

EDIT: Good luck on the RE2 remake by the way! I can't wait to see some progress!

Altalic77

Good luck on the RE2 remake by the way! I can't wait to see some progress!

Thank-you, I appreciate the support. It'll be static camera angles, and I'll do my absolute best to make it possible. I was actually thinking about bringing some areas from RE-1.5 back as well. I've seen some of the rooms, and they seemed to have gotten some very interesting concepts. Most of which, I'd like to implement into the game. IF I get any progress anytime soon, I'll edit this post and add a picture of a pre-rendered scene. Until then, you'll just have to be patient ;)

Anyway, I apologize if my rebuttal came out a little harsh, I was just testing the waters. You never know who'll explode on you on the internet. What makes it better is that you have proper grammar. SO, I immediately like you :D

Altalic77

Good luck on the RE2 remake by the way! I can't wait to see some progress!

Thank-you, I appreciate the support. It'll be static camera angles, and I'll do my absolute best to make it possible. I was actually thinking about bringing some areas from RE-1.5 back as well. I've seen some of the rooms, and they seemed to have gotten some very interesting concepts. Most of which, I'd like to implement into the game. IF I get any progress anytime soon, I'll edit this post and add a picture of a pre-rendered scene. Until then, you'll just have to be patient ;)

Anyway, I apologize if my rebuttal came out a little harsh, I was just testing the waters. You never know who'll explode on you on the internet. What makes it better is that you have proper grammar. SO, I immediately like you :D

Top Bottom