• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RE Wasted Opportunities

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Were their moments in the entire RE games you thought were wasted opportunities? Things that you wished that should've happened, but didn't? Post them here what you thought were wasted.

Ikawaru

RE4 should have retained REmake style gameplay, because REmake has aged well but RE4 has not. After RE0 did not reach sales expectations they made a business decision to go more action, because action-shooters had really high sales at the time.

Seriously, both REmake and RE0 HD Remasters seem like works of art even today, whilst RE4 and RE5 seem like works of braindead shooter-trash. Any academic will tell you that the best historical figures and things are those which look good in hindsight.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
As a REmake fan, I'd argue that RE0 was the biggest wasted opportunity in terms of plot and characters. Both REmake and RE0 were developed simultaneously and released just 8 months apart. While REmake is the golden standard of what should be considered the perfect RE game, RE0 falls short of its potential to be a plausible prequel that connects the two games in a good way. As it is, RE0 feels totally disconnected from the first one and introduces so many uneccessary plot elements.

The focus of RE0 should've always been Bravo Team, and as much as people like Rebecca it was a mistake to make her protagonist of the game and add the character of Billy Coen. I've gone into detail why I think so countless of times, and why Enrico deserved to be the star (no pun intended) of RE0.

Ikawaru

I dunno maybe it's my American-ness but I always liked Billy, US army officer actually standing up to the MiC (military industrial complex) and getting shafted for it has a certain charm to it especially in todays climate (remember my comment about hindsight, the game was released in 2002, at a time when trash talking anything American was verboten) so I think he was a sound decision, he has a certain "Vietnam" style about him that I always had a respect for. Sure, 18 year old Rebecca going through all that before spraying chris with mace in the Western 1st floor save room is a bit silly and I like to pretend that never happened when I play REmake or RE1, but overall the game holds up well and can forgive them for this infraction

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I dunno maybe it's my American-ness but I always liked Billy, US army officer actually standing up to the MiC (military industrial complex) and getting shafted for it has a certain charm to it especially in todays climate (remember my comment about hindsight, the game was released in 2002, at a time when trash talking anything American was verboten) so I think he was a sound decision, he has a certain "Vietnam" style about him that I always had a respect for. Sure, 18 year old Rebecca going through all that before spraying chris with mace in the Western 1st floor save room is a bit silly and I like to pretend that never happened when I play REmake or RE1, but overall the game holds up well and can forgive them for this minor infraction
My complaint is actually not so much about the story itself or the characters, but rather the fact that this is supposed to be a prequel that takes place right before RE1 - and yet it has very little to do with RE1’s story. I think RE0 would have worked better if it was its own standalone game set between RE1 and RE2. It’s just all too coincidental to have that train crash right next to Spencer Mansion the EXACT same night that Bravo Team is sent out to investigate it. It doesn’t help that they randomly throw Umbrella into the mix to somewhat ”justify” the train crash when in reality it’s the work of Dr. James Marcus who’s acting as a lone wolf.

So, nothing against Billy or Rebecca really. They’re fine characters, they just shouldn’t be doing what they do in this time frame.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I agree with your points on RE0 @Jonipoon. In my own headcanon, I've basically excluded the game's story from the timeline of RE. It just doesn't fit in as a prequel.

There’s quite a few missed opportunities within this series but I'd say the game with the most glaring ones is RE6.
For me, it is a composite of intriguing and endearing ideas (along with some sh*te ones) that were horribly executed.

From the poorly constructed character mashups to the underwhelming villains used. Their decisions were just plain bad and it lead to Capcom drastically uprooting the series without any thought on the loose ends they left for previous characters.

Another missed opportunity was a proper follow up to REvelations 2’s story. I know I’ve harped on about this one too but it’s story and villain would have been perfect to incorporate into the main games’ storyline.

Last edited:

Caffeine Addict

Yeah. I also wanted to find out what happened to Billy after he left Rebecca in the forest. It's likely never going to be revealed, as RE0 came out nearly two decades ago. So if Capcom don't care about him, they're not going to bring him back. Although they probably should.

I mean, the man was a fugitive. Where could he have gone? Not long thereafter, Raccoon City became totally infected.

If he went there, he would have likely perished. But like I said, we will probably never know.

Top Bottom