• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resi 1 - Difficulty Question

JackRedfield

Hello guys,

as you may see, i am a new user here, and i am pretty new with the series aswell! I never actually played any Resident Evil up until Mid 2015, when i thought i'd begin with it. Then i bought the Resident Evil Directors Cut in the PlayStation Store.

Fast forward to now, i have finished it with Chris on the easiest difficulty, which would be the 'TRAINING' mode. Now, i want to play it a few times more, with each time being harder & harder. So i have a question for you guys. I know the 'ADVANCED' mode has more enemies thus, its harder than 'ORIGINAL', but what is actually easier?

'Green' ADVANCED mode with double the ammo, OR the 'ORIGINAL' mode? What should i play next? And another thing, i noticed Jill has more inventory space, is the game easier with her? I assume there are different paths, since some doors were still locked, but are there any more differences? Like, Jill having less health than Chris?

Thanks in advance,

- JackRedfield

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Chris has a higher tolerance for enemy attacks it seems and Jill gets some extra help from Barry, unless you know the alternate paths with her to get different cutscenes. Be wary though; if you activate certain cutscenes with Jill, Barry will not help you.

Chris has less inventory slots and of course only starts the game with a knife, Jill starts with her STARS issue Beretta. Jill acquires the bazooka over the course of the game, Chris is limited to the shotgun.

As for the doors, if I remember correctly: all areas of the mansion can be reached by both Chris and Jill - though Chris must find 'small keys' for certain doors that Jill can use her lock pick on.

Last edited:

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
isn't it the other way around?

Yes Chris can take a lot more damage then Jill to make up for his less powerful weaponry and smaller inventory space.

I remember the Directors Cut version (Advanced) to be a lot harder then the normal version as there are much more enemies. However only in this mode can you unlock the Magnum with unlimited ammo.

Personally I would suggest to any new player who has not played the series before to skip RE Directors Cut and play the series in the correct chronological order instead:

Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil Remake (its the definitive version of RE 1 and surpasses the original and DC in every way)
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Revelations
Lost in Nightmares (RE 5 DLC)
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@mjk321 Yeah you're right; that was a typo. Posting on your phone isn't always a breeze.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend skipping the original and playing the Remake instead. The Remake is bigger and prettier but the original is the core of Resident Evil. (It's also going to make playing 2, 3 and CVX a bitch.) I personally recommend playing both DC and the Remake as they're both completely different games in my estimation; the only reason not to would be pure laziness. They each bring something different to the table.

By the way, there's no real way to play Lost In Nightmares before playing Resident Evil 5 as you have to finish the flashback chapter to unlock it even on the gold edition.

Last edited:

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
@mjk321 Yeah you're right; that was a typo. Posting on your phone isn't always a breeze.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend skipping the original and playing the Remake instead. The Remake is bigger and prettier but the original is the core of Resident Evil. (It's also going to make playing 2, 3 and CVX a bitch.) I personally recommend playing both DC and the Remake as they're both completely different games in my estimation; the only reason not to would be pure laziness. They each bring something different to the table.

By the way, there's no real way to play Lost In Nightmares before playing Resident Evil 5 as you have to finish the flashback chapter to unlock it even on the gold edition.

well I heavily disagree. the Remake delivers everything that made the original great but is bigger and better in every way. Its the greatest RE game of all time in my opinion (in fact its one of the five greatest games ever made in my book) and absolute perfection and embodiement of the classic style RE. I have never touched the original again since playing the Remake. Well I tried once but it was so underwhelming. Mikami delivered not only the perfect recreation but also the perfect RE with the Remake. This is the game he had really wanted to make when he came up with RE. And I never felt that the original and the Remake were two different games that each had their own strengths. To me Remake absolutely replaced the originals place in the RE series in every possible way. But well thats just my opinion and it has nothing to do with being lazy.

You´re right about Lost in Nightmares though. I forgot that you can´t play the DLCs until a certain point in the main game. My bad.

mjk321

the oREginal has some great voice acting that you should not miss at all. one of the best voice acting in a game ever. that alone can make it equal to REmake imo. ( I'm not even trolling)

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
And that is your opinion... Which you already stated; just like I stated mine. This is purely your opinion but I'm sure the original poster was looking for varying opinions when he posted.

I'm also a bit perplexed that no one wanted to even respond to his inquiries until there were unpopular opinions and a typo posted here. My the activity on this forum has changed.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
And that is your opinion... Which you already stated; just like I stated mine. This is purely your opinion but I'm sure the original poster was looking for varying opinions when he posted.

I'm also a bit perplexed that no one wanted to even respond to his inquiries until there were unpopular opinions and a typo posted here. My the activity on this forum has changed.

Yes you´re right, of course this is my opinion, which it was from the beginning when I said "Personally I would suggest...." of course what Jack Redfield will do with it is his choice.

Wether or not the activity on this forum has changed is something I cannot judge as I have not been here for two years. But I have noticed that people here rather seem to post in off topic or little forum game threads then engage in actual RE discussions and for a forum with so many users there seems to be very little activity here each day (at least in RE threads)

JackRedfield

Chris has a higher tolerance for enemy attacks it seems and Jill gets some extra help from Barry, unless you know the alternate paths with her to get different cutscenes. Be wary though; if you activate certain cutscenes with Jill, Barry will not help you.

Chris has less inventory slots and of course only starts the game with a knife, Jill starts with her STARS issue Beretta. Jill acquires the bazooka over the course of the game, Chris is limited to the shotgun.

As for the doors, if I remember correctly: all areas of the mansion can be reached by both Chris and Jill - though Chris must find 'small keys' for certain doors that Jill can use her lock pick on.

I always thought, playing with Jill is easier, thanks to the bigger inventory, but if she indeed takes more damage... it should be about even. Interesting! I already played with Chris, now i am on my way with Jill. I have no idea about those paths, i met Barry just once after the beginning, when he gave me the bazooka, and now i am in the garden area.

No idea, but i am playing the Directors Cut, and when i started playing with Chris, i found Jill's Beretta in the first area of the mansion... also found a powerful revolver later in the game. Not sure, but i believe some doors, or atleast one was definitely staying locked. One had a numpad, and i didn't think i've missed anything though, according to the ending screen.

Personally I would suggest to any new player who has not played the series before to skip RE Directors Cut and play the series in the correct chronological order instead:

Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil Remake (its the definitive version of RE 1 and surpasses the original and DC in every way)
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Revelations
Lost in Nightmares (RE 5 DLC)
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6

I thought, i'd just start with the real order, as i had no idea about the chronic, and DC being the same as the first RESI, just with extra stuff... already hanging in there, but will definitely play the remakes/remasters (GameCube & PS3) aswell.

@mjk321 I wouldn't necessarily recommend skipping the original and playing the Remake instead. The Remake is bigger and prettier but the original is the core of Resident Evil. (It's also going to make playing 2, 3 and CVX a bitch.) I personally recommend playing both DC and the Remake as they're both completely different games in my estimation; the only reason not to would be pure laziness. They each bring something different to the table.

I want to experience all of them, so they'll follow for sure.

One question remains though, is Green Advanced easier or harder than Original mode?

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I always thought, playing with Jill is easier, thanks to the bigger inventory, but if she indeed takes more damage... it should be about even. Interesting! I already played with Chris, now i am on my way with Jill. I have no idea about those paths, i met Barry just once after the beginning, when he gave me the bazooka, and now i am in the garden area.

No idea, but i am playing the Directors Cut, and when i started playing with Chris, i found Jill's Beretta in the first area of the mansion... also found a powerful revolver later in the game. Not sure, but i believe some doors, or atleast one was definitely staying locked. One had a numpad, and i didn't think i've missed anything though, according to the ending screen.

I thought, i'd just start with the real order, as i had no idea about the chronic, and DC being the same as the first RESI, just with extra stuff... already hanging in there, but will definitely play the remakes/remasters (GameCube & PS3) aswell.

One question remains though, is Green Advanced easier or harder than Original mode?

All RE games of the main series are available on PS3 so you don´t need to play the Gamecube versions. You can just download them all from the PS Store (plus the PS3 versions of the RE 1 Remake and RE Zero have some additional features and alternate - and in my opinion far better - controls). I would still recommend playing the games in chronological order after you have completed RE 1.

As for the door with the numpad - once you defeated Yawn the second time and climb down the hole, do NOT advance further (otherwise Barry will die later) but wait until Barry gets a rope and then climb back up and you will get a passcode, which you can use on the numpad door. If you do this and later don´t let Barry go ahead in the caves, Barry will survive.

Btw you can unlock the Rocket Launcher with infinite ammo if you complete either scenario in less then 3 hours. You unlock the Colt Python with infinite ammo in the Advanced version by simply beating it.

and yes as I said before Advanced is - in my opinion - a lot harder then original.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
the alternate controls just makes the games easier and not scary. TANK CONTROLS FTW

I never believed in that nonsense. A game should not need crappy controls to be scary. I prefer fluid, intuitive controls. Above all gaming needs to be FUN for me.

Besides if you wanna make it harder and scarier on you, you can just play it on hard, Real survival or Invisible enemies mode. This excuse that modern fluid controls make it "too easy" or not scary is just utter BS in my eyes. That´s what hard/Survival/professional/No Hope modes are for.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy

I definitely suggest playing Original before Advanced. Advanced is more for when you really know the original game and want more of a challenge even on the easier mode, because it mixes things up.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
If you did indeed receive your bazooka from Barry instead of killing Forest and picking it up then you will have to retrieve the broken shotgun and unlock the door in the East wing of the first floor yourself; Barry will not help you.

It's just little instances like that that change the gameplay slightly.

And I'm not sure what you mean by Green advanced. My dc game has original, advanced and arrange as the difficulties.

mjk321

I never believed in that nonsense. A game should not need crappy controls to be scary. I prefer fluid, intuitive controls. Above all gaming needs to be FUN for me.

Besides if you wanna make it harder and scarier on you, you can just play it on hard, Real survival or Invisible enemies mode. This excuse that modern fluid controls make it "too easy" or not scary is just utter BS in my eyes. That´s what hard/Survival/professional/No Hope modes are for.
for me I think it adds to the scariness, not need it. to not be able to escape easily from monsters who are already tough and don't die easily from your bullets, it gives that added challenge that is gone from the "fluid" controls.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
for me I think it adds to the scariness, not need it. to not be able to escape easily from monsters who are already tough and don't die easily from your bullets, it gives that added challenge that is gone from the "fluid" controls.

Heard those arguments a million times and still think its nonense. The fluid controls make it more fun for me and far more enjoyable to play. Plus the controls are closer to the more modern RE games and I don´t need to adapt to different controls each game. But to each their own.

And I'm not sure what you mean by Green advanced. My dc game has original, advanced and arrange as the difficulties.

huh? Isn´t it training, original and arrange? What´s the difference between advanced and arranged? I am pretty sure he means how in the DC version you can push the right direction button for a few seconds until the font of the mode turns green (and then you´ll receive everything double in the game that you pick up)

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't know about the double pick ups but advanced is advanced difficulty and arrange is a different version of the game with slightly different costumes. Key items are in different locations and such; it's a slightly more difficult version for people who have the original down pat.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I don't know about the double pick ups but advanced is advanced difficulty and arrange is a different version of the game with slightly different costumes. Key items are in different locations and such; it's a slightly more difficult version for people who have the original down pat.

Yeah thats the Directors Cut version of the game. and when you select it (without confirming the selection) and hold the directional button right for a few seconds the font turns green. If then you select the mode , you´ll get every pick up in the game (except weapons) double. Only works on the arranged mode though as far as I know. and even with it I still consider that mode a lot harder then the original mode.

Top Bottom