• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 Remake - Official DEMO thread

How did the one-shot thing work out for you?

• Excellent, just enough to tease my excitement even further

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • So so, should've been longer like 1 hour

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Worthless, the demo should've ended at a certain scripted point instead

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I don't want to play the demo, I'm waiting for the full game

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Turo602

The King of Kings
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but Mr. X did follow you in the original B scenarios. Sure he might have more freedom to go in places he didn't before but I don't think that's indicative of any bosses in Resident Evil VII, more a result of new technology and the advancements made in gaming and programming in general.

As Mr. R already said, Mr. X only appears in scripted moments and while he does follow you, he's not actively roaming the the R.P.D Station while you're trying to solve puzzles and explore. But given how much this game does borrow from 7 in general, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up feeling similar.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Okay, so, I've spent a lot of time playing this demo (I have a bunch of different PSN profiles, mostly for replaying games from 'new'), and I think that, gameplay wise, it's one of the stronger RE efforts - and not just modern-syle RE. It took a little bit of fiddling to get the camera, aiming speed, etc. adjusted perfectly, but once I did (and even a little bit before), I found way more to like than to dislike.

Unless Capcom royally screws the pooch on the rest of the game somehow, I think we're in for something pretty special, new and old fans alike (especially is the unlockable fixed-camera mode is more than just a rumor).

Just a few days to go...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Honestly, I'm not too worried about the game's difficulty. Had I actually tried in the demo, I could have easily completed the demo, but of the zombies I did kill, they weren't really tough. I feel like this game is gonna be really generous with ammo and other pick ups.

As for Mr. X. Although he looks a whole lot more intimidating than Jack Baker, the fact that I'm even making that comparison worries me because it's obvious Jack Baker was the ground work for the way Mr. X works here. Mr. X didn't originally roam the station, but because Jack did in RE7, they're going with that for this game. Which worries me because Jack Baker wasn't really tough and was very easy to get away from and lure away from places you wanted to go. I get the feeling it's gonna be the same here and like Mr. X is gonna be easy to drop or simply run from.

Well, I have to admit that after taking on a few zombies that just wouldn't go down no matter how much lead I pumped into their heads, I kind of gave up on attacking and stuck with avoiding them instead, unless they were standing in the way or coming right at me. So I'm not sure how tough these zombies really are in general, maybe I was just unlucky with the ones I unsuccessfully tried to kill, and it might be a good idea after all to use up my ten remaining demo minutes to explore this further. As for ammo, I did pick up quite a few boxes, but they only contained four or five bullets each, barely enough to seriously hurt one zombie.

I don't know about Jack because I haven't played RE7, but based on the gameplay videos I've seen of REmake 2, I doubt that Mister X will be easy to defeat if he can just shrug off Claire's flame rounds and keep walking - and he walks quite fast as well! But being the casual gamer that I am, I'm totally planning on playing this game on Easy with checkpoints, aim assistance and all the other help I can possibly get, relying on my RE experience and memories of the original RE2 to do the rest, so I might live to tell the tale.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
As Mr. R already said, Mr. X only appears in scripted moments and while he does follow you, he's not actively roaming the the R.P.D Station while you're trying to solve puzzles and explore. But given how much this game does borrow from 7 in general, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up feeling similar.
Like I said before, he's got more freedom now but I don't think that has anything to do with RE7 and more to do with how different gaming is 21 years later. The concept behind him hasn't changed to fit a new Resident Evil installment, it is the same as it always was.

weskerondope

So I finally played the demo last night while the fiance watched and I liked it. I didn't try to finish it by any means, I wasn't going to run around like a chicken with my head cut off just because of time restrictions so I did get cut off before the end, which was extremely annoying. I would have much rather the demo be a one shot without the time limit so that I could explore all of what I was able to on my one playthrough but it is what it is.

The atmosphere was amazing and there were definitely startling moments that got both of us. I liked the changes to Leon and I loved the changes to the script. Definitely more realistic and I actually didn't want to even make fun of it.

The changes to the RPD were pretty awesome too. I like that the way we're used to going isn't necessarily the path to take in this version. Makes it feel different and new.

Leon did feel very slow, though, and like everyone else, I didn't really dig pushing the analog stick to run. (I even found myself holding the 'x' button, even though it doesn't do anything.) Wasn't too fond of the aiming either. It really messed me up in terms of shooting but I hope I get used to it with time.

did you know you can change the buttons on the playstation settings? most people dont realize that
when i played re7 i hated that i had to use the analog stick to run, so i simply swapped L1 with L3, so i would run with L1 and block with the analog stick instead,
that leads me to ask if anyone would mind writing down the controlls for ps4 version so i can figure out how to customize the controlls when i get the game, or just link me to any webpage that lets me know, im most curious what the L and R buttons do, aswell as X, square, triangle and O

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
So I gave the demo another crack via an alt account. Since I knew what to do ahead of time, I took some time to experiment.

I heard tales of "Adaptive Difficult" and I think I had an experience of it. My two playthroughs of the demo despite doing the exact same course of actions, felt different.

My first attempt I had fought significantly more amount of times than I did before, There is a scripted moment where you have to fight a zombie the moment you obtain an item from the Weapons Locker. The first time, that zombie had taken roughly 5-6 shots to even drop once.

Where as during my second playthrough (I had killed a total of 3 zombies by that point, unlike the 6 from my first playthrough.) The zombie had dropped in 3 hits.

In my second playthrough I also got more crits in general, and the zombies went down both faster, and with fewer bullets. I took to avoiding most of them. In that attempt.

I did not notice any difference in item placements though which I assumed would be a thing to make the game more difficult, but it seems to just be sponginess of zombies (Not exactly a good thing imo.)

So it does leave me a bit wary about what could happen during the standard RE hiccup area of every RE game. And If memory serves me right, it was the sewers that was RE2's hiccup.

So that might be super problematic if it ends up as I think it will.

Extras: I also noticed two neat details.

Depending on if your area has zombies, Leon will actually look either neutral or scared.

If you knife the wall, the wall will have knife marks. (Unsure if it fades after a few seconds though.)

Last edited:

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
Have to say, I really enjoyed the demo. Wasn't sure if I was gonna like the over-the-shoulder camera but it wasn't bad at all.

Thought that the controls and all were fairly smooth and I liked the interaction between the characters, felt more realistic than other resi games.

I didn't find the zombies too hard to kill, 3 - 4 headshots did the job. Even took one of them down with 1 headshot.

Looking forward to the full game. Not long to go now.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I didn't really agree with any of the choices so I just chose the one that was most accurate to my experience.

I don't think the demo should've been timed at all, rather it should've ended at a certain point in the game. I believe this because with a time limit you have less time to really take in what is being offered to you. I would've like to explore the station more, to experience the enemies and the tension more, to observe the graphics more.

And the strangely ironic part is that after I was done it wasn't one of those cliffhanger moments where I felt like I absolutely had to have more which is how I tend to think demos should function. Rather I felt indifferent to the demo because I wasn't given an opportunity to properly experience it.

I am still excited about the game but those feelings have absolutely no relation to the demo and my having played it.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
A bit late to post this, but 2 months ago this one-shot demo was re-released as the "R.P.D. Demo". It's basically the same demo but without the time limit.

Anyone tried it? Apparently you can hear Nemesis say "Staarssss" if you go towards the graveyard, something that's excluded from the actual game.

D

Deleted member 21244

A bit late to post this, but 2 months ago this one-shot demo was re-released as the "R.P.D. Demo". It's basically the same demo but without the time limit.

Anyone tried it? Apparently you can hear Nemesis say "Staarssss" if you go towards the graveyard, something that's excluded from the actual game.

Yeah i tryed it, it's the exact same demo and yes you can hear nemesis roar if you go to the graveyard

Also it happear it was downloaded by 500 thousand people

Good record since the game was already available

Top Bottom