• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil - Code: Veronica Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake Ideas Part One.

Nick Springthorpe.

So this is hardly news at this time but it sounds like Capcom is going to overlook remaking Code Veronica in favor of RE4. I think is a mistake as the timing couldn't be better.
You have new voice actors for Leon and Claire, and we can both agree Nick and Stephanie did an excellent job in RE2 Remake. So to overlook Code Veronica would be a waste of Stephanie Panisello's talents.

Anyway, this post isn't to rant about Capcom overlooking Code Veronica. It's just a list of ideas for Story Elements for a potential remake.

1. The Opening should be in first-person with Claire's vision obscured by the black bag over her head. It is suddenly pulled off and she sees Rockfort Island out the window. "Beautiful isn't it?" The guard says. "Better enjoy the view now because that's the last time you'll see it from up here." A sharp blow from the rifle stock knocks her to the ground and we follow her infiltration of Umbrella's Paris Lab. It's a very surreal experience with shadows of guards chasing her, and bullets destroying the area around her. It's still action-oriented but more grounded in reality, Claire isn't doing Matrix-style slow-motion moves or anything. It ends with Claire being cornered by several dozen guards. but rather than the slow-motion gun drop and catch from the original, she lays the gun slowly on the ground. Then she kneels down with her hands behind her head, waiting for the right moment. When it comes, she grabs the gun, throws herself onto her back, and shoots the tank behind them. The shadows of the guards dissolve in the light as Claire covers her head. She looks up the stairs, only to find Hunk pointing an MP5 with a laser sight at her head.

2. The design of Rockfort Island should be inspired by the original game, but reimagined in different ways.

a: The Prison features a processing building for new arrivals. This is where Claire finds herself in the holding cell. After being set free by Rodrigo, She needs to access the contraband storage to get her things back.

b. the little back area where the guillotine is is now a full-fledged execution yard complete with a large platform with multiple gallows, a guillotine, stocks, and gibbets. For those of you that don't know, a gibbet is a suspended cage where the body of the condemned is placed to decay in public view. it's usually done after the victim is dead, but people have been gibbeted alive in the past.

c.The hidden torture chamber under the doctor's office is now a full-fledged ballroom complete with classical music playing through PA speakers as the prisoners are tortured and executed.

d. Like the Darkside Chronicles retelling, Alfred uses the outbreak as an opportunity to put Claire and Steve through a series of twisted games.

e.The military facility now includes an obstacle course complete with a climbing wall, tires, monkey bars, and barbed wire. This is one of Alfred's games. Claire and Steve have to navigate the course like trainees. At several points, B.O.Ws are released on them, including Cerberus, Zombie Prisoners with restraining collars, Bandersnatches, and for the finale, the Gulp Worm. This is also where Steve meets his zombified father.

f.A new area added would be Alfred's game preserve. This is where he hunts prisoners for sport. Claire and Steve find themselves trapped in a most dangerous game.

g. The Palace that serves as the main administration building would be much larger, with additional north, east, and west wings that connect together. Additional rooms would include office space, archives, conference rooms, a cafeteria, and a security office.

h. Alfred's dollhouse on the hill would be a twisted mish mash of architectural styles reflecting his broken mental state. A gothic castle exterior mixed with a versailles style interior combined with the design of the winchester mystery house. The main hall would be a single chamber with five levels of stairs and balconies rising higher and higher. Each level would have doors with locks for keys inspired by doll parts. Ex: Eye, arm, leg, head. Each door leads to different part of the house. This makes the main hall one big spiral rising higher and higher. The suspended doll would have cameras in her eyes and be able to follow the player by moving her neck. A speaker in the mouth would allow Alfred to speak to them as 'Alexia'.

For added creep factor Alfred would leave out doll clothes for Claire and Steve to wear. This would be required for the game to continue. These outfits would include a pinofore dress for Claire and a sailor suit for Steve.

New rooms would include a trophy room complete with the mounted heads of the prisoners Alfred hunts. The outside ramparts of the roof. The attic areas of the spires.

That's all I got for now. Maybe I'll have more later.

RipvanX

I am just hoping they don’t outsource it like RE:3, otherwise all these ideas you mentioned not only won’t be there; we will be lucky to even see these areas from the original. With that said, I do agree this game can be greatly expanded upon, but I doubt Capcom is going to put in that much time to make it a massive mainline entry. It’s sales don’t even come close to mainline numbered ones according to the official SKU, so Capcom has no faith in it.

If anything, they will treat it like a Revelations game and divide it episodically to make more money off of it.

When you start talking about Part 2, I have some neat ideas I would like to mention though. ;)

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Well said @RipvanX and I read somewhere that most gamers view CVX as having "irrational locations" (whatever that means!) and only hardcore fans seem to dig it (I love it so I guess that makes me a "hardcore fan"? LOL) so it's unlikely Capcom will take what was given and add to it and doubtful at all that they will make an official release. However there is a fan project in the works based off of RE2R gameplay but it looks kind of bland based off of what I've seen. We will see!

Turo602

The King of Kings
An idea I had when I first played through Code Veronica a couple of years ago was that if they did end up remaking it, I would definitely love to see the final battle between Chris and Wesker be playable. And I don't mean in a traditional boss fight sense like RE5 did either, but something more in line with Metal Gear Solid 4's final showdown between Snake and Liquid Ocelot or even Red Dead Redemption II's fist fight with Arthur and Micah.

They could even play up their history in the Arklay Mansion and either flash the STARS members that died on screen during the fight or have certain quotes be spoken from various STARS members that shows their trauma while Chris and Wesker are exchanging words and you're just fighting a losing battle with sh*t blowing up around you.

It just seems like such a great finale and surprise for fans to be able to play out the epic rivalry of Chris and Wesker in such a cinematic and visceral way. Not only would it be quite a sight and interesting shift for a Resident Evil game to just have 2 guys fighting after you've been shooting monsters all game long, but there's so much potential for it to feel like a special moment in the series that would make it the proper send off of this rivalry to the fans even though canonically, it ended in RE5. But this would technically be the last time we'll see these 2 characters at it again, so it should definitely feel special.

But it's Capcom, so nevermind.

Wesker90

So this is hardly news at this time but it sounds like Capcom is going to overlook remaking Code Veronica in favor of RE4. I think is a mistake as the timing couldn't be better.
You have new voice actors for Leon and Claire, and we can both agree Nick and Stephanie did an excellent job in RE2 Remake. So to overlook Code Veronica would be a waste of Stephanie Panisello's talents.

Anyway, this post isn't to rant about Capcom overlooking Code Veronica. It's just a list of ideas for Story Elements for a potential remake.

1. The Opening should be in first-person with Claire's vision obscured by the black bag over her head. It is suddenly pulled off and she sees Rockfort Island out the window. "Beautiful isn't it?" The guard says. "Better enjoy the view now because that's the last time you'll see it from up here." A sharp blow from the rifle stock knocks her to the ground and we follow her infiltration of Umbrella's Paris Lab. It's a very surreal experience with shadows of guards chasing her, and bullets destroying the area around her. It's still action-oriented but more grounded in reality, Claire isn't doing Matrix-style slow-motion moves or anything. It ends with Claire being cornered by several dozen guards. but rather than the slow-motion gun drop and catch from the original, she lays the gun slowly on the ground. Then she kneels down with her hands behind her head, waiting for the right moment. When it comes, she grabs the gun, throws herself onto her back, and shoots the tank behind them. The shadows of the guards dissolve in the light as Claire covers her head. She looks up the stairs, only to find Hunk pointing an MP5 with a laser sight at her head.

2. The design of Rockfort Island should be inspired by the original game, but reimagined in different ways.

a: The Prison features a processing building for new arrivals. This is where Claire finds herself in the holding cell. After being set free by Rodrigo, She needs to access the contraband storage to get her things back.

b. the little back area where the guillotine is is now a full-fledged execution yard complete with a large platform with multiple gallows, a guillotine, stocks, and gibbets. For those of you that don't know, a gibbet is a suspended cage where the body of the condemned is placed to decay in public view. it's usually done after the victim is dead, but people have been gibbeted alive in the past.

c.The hidden torture chamber under the doctor's office is now a full-fledged ballroom complete with classical music playing through PA speakers as the prisoners are tortured and executed.

d. Like the Darkside Chronicles retelling, Alfred uses the outbreak as an opportunity to put Claire and Steve through a series of twisted games.

e.The military facility now includes an obstacle course complete with a climbing wall, tires, monkey bars, and barbed wire. This is one of Alfred's games. Claire and Steve have to navigate the course like trainees. At several points, B.O.Ws are released on them, including Cerberus, Zombie Prisoners with restraining collars, Bandersnatches, and for the finale, the Gulp Worm. This is also where Steve meets his zombified father.

f.A new area added would be Alfred's game preserve. This is where he hunts prisoners for sport. Claire and Steve find themselves trapped in a most dangerous game.

g. The Palace that serves as the main administration building would be much larger, with additional north, east, and west wings that connect together. Additional rooms would include office space, archives, conference rooms, a cafeteria, and a security office.

h. Alfred's dollhouse on the hill would be a twisted mish mash of architectural styles reflecting his broken mental state. A gothic castle exterior mixed with a versailles style interior combined with the design of the winchester mystery house. The main hall would be a single chamber with five levels of stairs and balconies rising higher and higher. Each level would have doors with locks for keys inspired by doll parts. Ex: Eye, arm, leg, head. Each door leads to different part of the house. This makes the main hall one big spiral rising higher and higher. The suspended doll would have cameras in her eyes and be able to follow the player by moving her neck. A speaker in the mouth would allow Alfred to speak to them as 'Alexia'.

For added creep factor Alfred would leave out doll clothes for Claire and Steve to wear. This would be required for the game to continue. These outfits would include a pinofore dress for Claire and a sailor suit for Steve.

New rooms would include a trophy room complete with the mounted heads of the prisoners Alfred hunts. The outside ramparts of the roof. The attic areas of the spires.

That's all I got for now. Maybe I'll have more later.
I like the set up already now that covers Claire's scenario how about the Antarctic base and Chris/Wesker?

Unknown

A full overhaul of Rockfort Island would be needed I think, it would benefit from a few (a lot) more routes to and from the various locations on the island.

It’s hard to imagine what they could do to evolve the gameplay, the zombies or dogs in CV are not really different to 2 or 3 (which perfected zombie gameplay imo), how do you take this gameplay further? I personally would happily take the same gameplay again, but I think reviewers would take issue with it. It’s not like Capcom’s writing these days can compensate here. It’s possible they skipped over it because of this even, and went straight to 4 because it has all new enemies and thus combat will differ.

If it did happen though, i’d make Alexia’s transformations a bit less anime-esque and a bit more visceral. The T-Veronica virus is very out there in terms of what it can do (force fields for example). Her final boss fight needs work.

It’d be cool to see some sort of zapping system return, like all the zombies Claire kills come back as Crimson Heads for Chris or something.

As for the final battle with Wesker i’d be all for it being playable, there’s all sorts of potential there.

At the end of the game i’d definitely remake that cutscene from Darkside Chronicles where Chris and Wesker both glare at each other as the jet is taking off.

RipvanX

It’s nice to have hopes and dreams but CVX never sold that well. Look how RE:3 was treated and that was a top 10 selling RE game. CVX is not even in the top 10, so it will most likely be outsourced again with an even smaller budget. Knowing Capcom, they will definitely consider this and I bet that is exactly what’s happening as we speak.

Ikawaru

Yes as I stated in another thread, CVX only has a cult following in Western countries, almost all of the Asian continent doesn't really think too much of it and I can't really say I hold it against them because besides having arguably the best safe room music in the series

... and a good doze of Claire, there is really nothing extraordinary about it. I mean it had great graphics for the time, it was the first post-PSX RE, but the reality is that was the turning point for the series that led to RE4 as it is quite action heavy and the story was kinda cringe with super Wesker and Alexia being a rip off of Parasite Eve (I am quite convinced Capcom are closet PE fanatics, because lots of things all the way up to RE7 and Village borrow elements from that game). Both Steve and Alfred were cringe characters.

I mean I do enjoy a playthrough of it every 5 years or so because of it's diverse jungle-esque gameworld that doesn't make sense but feels fresh and new every time I play it, but I am not disillusioned to its shortcomings.
It’s nice to have hopes and dreams but CVX never sold that well. Look how RE:3 was treated and that was a top 10 selling RE game. CVX is not even in the top 10, so it will most likely be outsourced again with an even smaller budget. Knowing Capcom, they will definitely consider this and I bet that is exactly what’s happening as we speak.

A fan project is already in the works

Using RE engine. Not sure if Capcom will even have a role in this but knowing them they'll either demand a cut and/or consider this sufficient for a remake and let it go. Capcom are nothing if not business savvy, I will certainly give them that!

Caffeine Addict

It's an immensely sad reality to any fan, to see that Capcom blatantly skipped this classic for their biggest cash cow in RE4.

Typical Capcom, eh?

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
It's an immensely sad reality to any fan, to see that Capcom blatantly skipped this classic for their biggest cash cow in RE4.

Typical Capcom, eh?
We don't know yet if a Code Veronica remake is next down the line after RE4 or not. Chronologically, it wouldn't be that strange to have a CV-remake released after RE4 since their stories aren't entangled.

Personally, I feel it's much more problematic that we don't have a remake of the first game in the style of RE2 & 3. Even though the 2002 remake of Resident Evil is my favorite game in the series and one of my favorite games overall, I think it would be neat to have the original trilogy completed as a modern over-the-shoulder trilogy.

RipvanX

Personally, I feel it's much more problematic that we don't have a remake of the first game in the style of RE2 & 3. Even though the 2002 remake of Resident Evil is my favorite game in the series and one of my favorite games overall, I think it would be neat to have the original trilogy completed as a modern over-the-shoulder trilogy.
Hopefully this won’t get a cease and desist.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Fairly confident we will have to rely on fan mods for CV and RE1 OTS. Capcom simply does not care.

Unfortunately these projects have a very high fail rate due to time and manpower constraints. Most of these are designed by 1 person on their free time and the time and effort it takes to do it simply isn't worth it (understandable when you factor in work and family life).

Ridley Lockhart

I really hope they don't remake Code Veronica. Darkside's "Game Of Oblivion" a.k.a. the CVX chapter properly demonstrated that Capcom will mess it up...figure in how they did RE3R also. Although RE1 is my favorite so is CVX.

Top Bottom