• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Shadows of Rose DLC

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer

So, we're finally getting that long-awaited DLC for Resident Evil: Village. Surprisingly, we're actually going to play as Ethan's grown-up daughter Rose in the DLC which I honestly didn't expect. I have mixed feelings about this choice because it's a character we barely saw in the base game. Also, this DLC technically takes place in the year 2036 which just feels.... weird for a Resident Evil game.

As much as I dislike the supernatural aspects of this story, this is clearly what RE is about nowadays so I might just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. The story might be interesting in it's own way, and I'm pleasantly surprised that the DLC will be in third-person. It will definitely make it easier to connect to Rose as a character and what's happening around her.

However, with the announcement that the base game itself will get a third-person option, I can't help but question why they didn't give us this option earlier. I absolutely hate first-person in Resident Evil games, and if I had the option to play Village in third-person the first time around, I might've enjoyed it more. Now, Capcom is locking the third-person option behind a paywall.... sigh.

Ikawaru

3rd person: Yay!
2036 Marvel Comics Rose Winters storyline: Nay!
Mercenaries: Whatevs!

I guess the best take from this is that Rose's story is being packed in as DLC, so we are now spared from an entire separate game of cringe. The question is where will they go next on the mainline franchise once Rose's story is wrapped up ?

Jonipoon

Well, when you present it like that, it does make it seem like Rose won't be as important to the future of the franchise as we once thought. I'm all for it since the ending of Village felt rushed and confusing. Time jumping like that into 2036 while teasing that Rose might be the main character for RE9 was strange to say the least. I'm glad that won't be the case if this DLC is supposed to wrap up her story.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I had a hunch the DLC would be about Rose and as dumb as it looks, I'm glad this seems to be them wrapping up her story like they did with Zoe in End of Zoe which was supposedly what RE8 was originally. So I can only imagine this too was their original idea for RE9 until they scrapped it and made up some popular demand for DLC.

This sudden push for third-person does have me feeling optimistic though. It almost seems reactionary like they've gotten a lot of backlash or disinterest from the first-person perspective from their surveys or something. They did originally say they couldn't do both first-person and third-person together so I'm glad they seem to have it down now and hopefully this can become the new standard going forward. As much as I don't care for VR or first-person, the genre definitely lends itself to it well and so I don't mind it being an option, as opposed to completely overtaking the series' identity like Resident Evil 7 did.

But with dumb Ethan and Rose out of the way, I hope we can look forward to something more traditional with RE9 and have it be a follow up to the whole evil BSAA thing from Village. Maybe Chris could even get assistance from Jill and maybe even Leon as a last hurrah kind of thing.

And while third-person doesn't absolve the sins of Resident Evil: Village, I did always say first-person felt kind of pointless in that game for its lack of VR and how much more open, cinematic, and action focused it was, so I'm glad I put off doing any more playthroughs for that game as it'll definitely be a much more enjoyable gameplay and visual experience.

RipvanX

I am hoping the added Mercenaries characters will make that mode more enjoyable to go for S ranks. Been putting it off because it simply looks dull and frustrating to go through. Unfortunately I literally just 100% the story modes on PS4/5 so will miss out on that experience until I do a marathon again. The Rose DLC is going to be weird like Gun Survivor 2 where it’s supposedly a dream realm in the mold. The series first jumped the shark with CVX by adding superpowers and such, seeing superpowers here again is not a good thing for the realistic approach to survival horror that Capcoms been touting for the past 5 years.

I do not understand RE8’s approach to this franchise and why people can get behind Marvel/DC superpowers, but to each their own. Maybe they were inspired by Brightburn and Invincible.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

But with dumb Ethan and Rose out of the way, I hope we can look forward to something more traditional with RE9 and have it be a follow up to the whole evil BSAA thing from Village. Maybe Chris could even get assistance from Jill and maybe even Leon as a last hurrah kind of thing.
Oh man, how great would it be for RE9 to be the true sequel to Revelations 2 and have it wrap up the whole Natalia/Alex Wesker story and bring back the whole gang of Chris, Jill, Claire and Leon for one final showdown. The circle would basically be complete.

The game could literally begin with Natalia killing Barry and Moira Burton which brings the old gang back together.

Ikawaru

Hopefully we'll get some more Blue Umbrella, and maybe have some kind of clever faction battles between them and Evil BSAA, who have teamed up with The Connections.

I'm thinking macro here, what specific characters they use (protagonists/antagonists) I really don't care, what is for damn sure though is 3rd person and the presence of classic characters are mandatory, as well as a focused hard science fiction story about bioweapons and gameplay that's more survival horror than that of Rambo RE4-6 tripe.

Last edited:

walder_11

So, we're finally getting that long-awaited DLC for Resident Evil: Village. Surprisingly, we're actually going to play as Ethan's grown-up daughter Rose in the DLC which I honestly didn't expect. I have mixed feelings about this choice because it's a character we barely saw in the base game. Also, this DLC technically takes place in the year 2036 which just feels.... weird for a Resident Evil game.

As much as I dislike the supernatural aspects of this story, this is clearly what RE is about nowadays so I might just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. The story might be interesting in it's own way, and I'm pleasantly surprised that the DLC will be in third-person. It will definitely make it easier to connect to Rose as a character and what's happening around her.

However, with the announcement that the base game itself will get a third-person option, I can't help but question why they didn't give us this option earlier. I absolutely hate first-person in Resident Evil games, and if I had the option to play Village in third-person the first time around, I might've enjoyed it more. Now, Capcom is locking the third-person option behind a paywall.... sigh.
Im personally looking forward to the third person mod and the mercenaries add ons but I feel like the shadows of rose could of been something else, I would of preferred a dlc with chris and the hound wolf squad or even a prequel dlc.

Ikawaru

Im personally looking forward to the third person mod and the mercenaries add ons but I feel like the shadows of rose could of been something else, I would of preferred a dlc with chris and the hound wolf squad or even a prequel dlc.

Whilst I don't have a problem with the Wolf Hound Squad 'In Theory', the problem I do have is that it is applied thus far as some kind of CoD Black Ops rip off.

The most Resident Evil thing to do with them would be to have them investigate some mysterious remote location and have all of them besides Chris killed off one by one in gruesome ways.

Ikawaru

Notice Thor's Hammer at 0:37, definitely doubling down on Fantasy elements. Get ready for RE9: Diablo.

(3rd person is definitely an improvement though).

Last edited:

RipvanX

The spooky atmosphere looks nice in the new footage but I hope they at least let us explore new areas like in End of Zoe. Running through the same Dimitrescu halls again will get boring fast. It’s really hard to care about this from a story perspective, as it’s existance means that legacy characters will most likely be retired off screen. The Megamycete is perhaps the most exaggerated thing ever since Enhanced C.

We really needed more backstory to be fleshed out and not this magic moldy adventure stuff.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
This DLC makes me cringe so badly. Rose looks so f*cking stupid with that oversized jacket and hat and she can freeze enemies? The fact that this is Resident Evil now honestly overshadows the third-person gameplay for me. This is just awful. Trying so hard to make Ethan feel special with this whole "Winters expansion" nonsense and having his daughter wear his raggedy ass coat like it's supposed to feel iconic or something.

Jonipoon

In RE9, I'm pretty confident that Ada Wong will be revealed to have been an alien the whole time, and all of the viruses in the RE universe are the result of alien seeds having been planted by ancient astronauts in the past. She works for an inter-galactic organization dealing with biothreats around the Milky Way. Chris Redfield will go to space and punch a BOW into the sun. The deceased Ethan will be revealed as the same species as Ada Wong for some reason.

Ikawaru

^Sounds better than what we currently have tbh, at least there's room for science. At this rate we have RE9 as this:

:censored:

Caffeine Addict

7 and 8 are so-so games. They don't feel like RE games. Although as general horror games, they are very good. But I also feel as if Chris was inserted just for the hell of it, really. Otherwise I guess other than the notes you can read, it barely even connects to the older games. Yes, I know there's other things they have to link everything together. I still say much of it has been 'made up' for continuity purposes.

Plus, Chris was so beefy in 6. But in 7, it really looked absolutely nothing like Chris. Maybe the original RE1 version of him. Yeah. But not Chris in 5, 6 and some of the side story entries.

I'm hoping after 8, they stop with this fantasy hockum. You know? Ghoulish castles and whatnot. Uh...

Having followed the franchise for years, it's incredibly strange to see where things have ended up.

Jonipoon

The original trilogy is the only one that actually makes sense and has a coherent, grounded story that plays throughout the course of three games. It started about reports on cannibalistic murders in the outskirts of Raccoon City, and ended with the destruction of said city - and everything was connected to the same company, Umbrella.

What happens over the course of RE4, RE5 and RE6 is just a mishmash of different plots with new organizations and villains being introduced as we go. However, out of those three I have to say that RE5 did the best when trying to connect to previous games.

The same thing is happening right now with RE7, RE8 and the upcoming RE9. It doesn't feel like there's an actual plan laid out, and unfinished plots are abandoned in favor of new plots that doesn't help making things less confusing.

Caffeine Addict

I agree with you about RE5.

It's strange to me how a lot of fans don't like 5, yet they enjoy 4. There really ain't much of a difference in how the games play. The enemies from 4 are repeated in 5 anyway. So one should probably appreciate both games for being so alike.

Plus, Wesker had more screen time. Leon's mission felt like a side story. 5 had more ties to what was established with the hatred between Chris, Jill and Wesker.

RipvanX

I find it quite humorous that the conclusion to the Winter’s “saga” is going to be some obese fungus fat dude in a dream realm where you have Shiva powers. RE has had its fair share of ridiculousness in CVX with superpowers but cmon really?

Caffeine Addict

It's all part of the Duke's first class, customer service. ;)

I think he is a representation of gluttony. Thus, the reason for him being overly plump.

Ikawaru

Just tried the Demo' version of the game and I can say with certainly that 3rd person mode is definitely an improvement and makes the game more "fluid" (for lack of a better term). Random Steam reviewers are complaining about it and that usually that means it's good thing.

Whether you want to pay for something that should have already been in the base game, whelp, that's your decision. :)

Top Bottom