• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village This is not a Resident Evil game

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I’ll try to keep this as short and simple as possible since I want to raise an interesting debate and not go on an endless rant. So I finally gave in and bought VIllage two days ago on sale, and finished it a couple of hours ago.

My final verdict couldn’t be more clear - this is not a Resident Evil game. This is a supernatural action adventure disguised as a RE title, with the most dumbed-down and linear gameplay I’ve ever seen in the series. While it’s basically a mixture of RE7’s interface with RE4’s setting, it fails to deliver on what made those titles work on their own. Even though I’m not a fan of neither RE7 or RE4, at least those games didn’t completely disregard what came before them, whereas VIllage finds itself in a deep identity crisis.

If you look at RE4, even though it upped the action and favored supernatural horror in favor of biological, AT LEAST it featured a limited inventory system that made you reconsider picking up any item you came across, which is a staple in both the RE series and the survival horror genre. You had to actually plan ahead before jumping into action. In VIllage however, the inventory is never an issue, you never run out of space and crafting items don’t even take up space but has its own unlimited inventory - what the hell? Never once during my entire playthrough did I come across a situation where I couldn’t pick up an item, whereas in RE4 this happened to me all the time. RE4’s action is also constantly adrenaline-pumping because it knows what it is, while VIllage is stuck in some weird limbo where it’s trying to give an illusion of survival horror but providing all the necessary elements of constant adrenaline pumping action. How could this be?

Well, this is because VIllage is also trying to be a continuation of RE7. Now, RE7 was a mixed bag in many ways but at least it TRIED to be survival horror. It had a very limited inventory which required you to plan ahead and often head back into save rooms to leave stuff or get it back. RE7 also featured genuine backtracking and didn’t hold your hand the entire time, whereas VIllage is so laughably linear and straight-forward that you might as well be playing a game for children. Key items and puzzle solutions are in 95 % of all cases located in a room next door, on a linear way back from a dead end, or right next to the god damm puzzle. There’s actually one area in the game (Heisenberg’s Factory) that features genuine backtracking and gives you less clues on what to do, and this was probably the only part where I actually felt like I was playing a Resident Evil game. This section is unfortunately not representative of the game as a whole. The castle is a huge letdown because of its extremely linear structure, which in turn cannot fully utilize the stalking mechanics of Lady Dimitrescu. Now, imagine Lady Dimitrescu stalking you in Heisenberg’s factory, that would have been something.

The story of VIllage is the most convoluted and non-sensical that Capcom has ever put out. Without getting into too much detail, let’s just say that it leaves you shaking your head and wondering - what was the point of all this? The worst part is how VIllage lazily tries to explain that this whole supernatural world of lycans, vampires, ghosts, telekinesis, teleportation, etc etc, is actually.... just the result of scientific lab experiments. NO. NO. NO. You can’t just throw in the bioweapon stuff as a side-thing and expect to get away with it. You have created a gothic fantasy world that exceeds all possible scientific common sense... You either go with it, or don’t.
What annoys me the most though is the game’s terrible attempts at connecting to previous Resident Evil games, even going as far as including Oswall E. Spencer himself and retro-actively changing the origins of Umbrella to this stupid fantasy world. It’s disrespectful to the original RE1.

I also don’t understand why Chris Redfield is even in this game, not to mention why he’s the frontman on the poster teased as a lycan. None of which happens in the actual game.

So now after completing VIllage I am actually a bit shocked. I didn’t expect to enjoy it, but I certainly didn’t expect to despise it as much as I am. Hear me out when I say this, because I despise it as a Resident Evil game. If this game was its own separate IP and franchise I wouldn’t care since it’s definitely not a bad game. Sadly, VIllage is a success. People love it and I cannot for the love of god fathom why. I’ve seen ”fans” praise it as being one of the best RE games ever made. If this is the future of the series I might not want to be a part of it any longer.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Great post. Eloquently written and am having a hard time disagreeing with any of it even for the purpose of debate. The fact that 'Village' seems to be praised across the gaming landscape just reinforces the notion that most players are still to quick to judge a food by its taste rather than its digestion. Damn shame.

There’s actually one area in the game (Heisenberg’s Factory) that features genuine backtracking and gives you less clues on what to do, and this was probably the only part where I actually felt like I was playing a Resident Evil game. This section is unfortunately not representative of the game as a whole. The castle is a huge letdown because of its extremely linear structure, which in turn cannot fully utilize the stalking mechanics of Lady Dimitrescu. Now, imagine Lady Dimitrescu stalking you in Heisenberg’s factory, that would have been something.

"Not A Hero" side game from RE7, in my view, had a similar layout to the Heisenberg Factory, and also in my view, SHOULD have been the real RE7.

Imagine an entire game that takes place in a maze like mining tunnels where Chris Redfield, working for the mysterious 'Blue Umbrella', embarks on a quest to stop someone from selling dangerous viruses into the Black Market in an underground laboratory deep in the bowels of the earth.

Solving puzzles, unlocking new tactical equipment for his suit, fighting mysterious monsters in the caverns trying not to get lost, and gathering scientific intel on the various creature to help him fight them. Perhaps, even a "Mr. X", or a "Lady Dimitrescu" type being stalking him for good measure.

Why oh why didn't they do that instead? Or at least save it for the real Resident Evil 8 rather than the mumbo jumbo we actually got.

Last edited:

Hardware

Amen - I agree 100%. Well, 95% - although Heisenberg's factory had a bit more backtracking, it didn't feel like RE to me. It looked like Doom. And the secret areas you access to get power-ups by blowing up the walls with pipe bombs reminded me of Duke Nukem 3D.

What annoys me the most though is the game’s terrible attempts at connecting to previous Resident Evil games, even going as far as including Oswall E. Spencer himself and retro-actively changing the origins of Umbrella to this stupid fantasy world. It’s disrespectful to the original RE1.
That was the final insult. And it didn't make one lick of sense (not that the rest did): "Hello Miranda, I want to become immortal myself, but through viruses and not a fungus - so I'll spend the rest of my life trying to do what you already accomplished but in a different way. Because of reasons".

Murderer Enshrined

I agree with Jonipoon's post as well. But this is the bottom line and the harsh reality of it:

I'm an old guy. A very old guy. The new stuff is being made by the new game makers and it's designed for and marketed towards the new gamers. They're not thinking about old-guy-me. I also feel that I have to bear in mind that when I first played Resident Evil Director's Cut on the PSX (the Sony Playstation 32 bit grey console), any type of online gaming - if it even existed in any form back then - is nothing like it is now. So they have to gear up their games to be adequate to the online play that they know the consumers/fans are expecting. So that could ultimately have an impact on what the finished product is going to be like and play like.

The gaming industry is simply not going the way it used to anymore. It's not really supposed to. No industry ever really does that. CCTV camera angels, etc., etc. There are some cars from the 50s and 60s that look beautiful when fully restored. But they're not going to build them that way anymore. So when you go to a car dealership, yeah, you're not going to see that. You're going to see the new stuff.

Oh woe is old-me, I guess.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

I agree with Jonipoon's post as well. But this is the bottom line and the harsh reality of it:

I'm an old guy. A very old guy. The new stuff is being made by the new game makers and it's designed for and marketed towards the new gamers. They're not thinking about old-guy-me. I also feel that I have to bear in mind that when I first played Resident Evil Director's Cut on the PSX (the Sony Playstation 32 bit grey console), any type of online gaming - if it even existed in any form back then - is nothing like it is now. So they have to gear up their games to be adequate to the online play that they know the consumers/fans are expecting. So that could ultimately have an impact on what the finished product is going to be like and play like.

The gaming industry is simply not going the way it used to anymore. It's not really supposed to. Not industry ever really does that. CCTV camera angels, etc., etc. There are some cars from the 50s and 60s that look beautiful when fully restored. But they're not going to build them that way anymore. So when you go to a car dealership, yeah, you're not going to see that. You're going to see the new stuff.

Oh woe is old-me, I guess.

I believe RE2R sales figures demonstrated that it's possible to make a classic Resident Evil game with updated graphics and features and still stay faithful to the origins. Capcom simply refuses to stay faithful and goes with the idiotic options when better design options are clearly available. See my above post about Not a Hero, it's certainly not 100% classic RE but it's certainly more RE than RE7, provided they implemented some good puzzles, and has a hint of Metroidavia, which would not offend me.

However, yes, RE7 and Village appears to have outsold RE2R and RE3R so they are definitely the more market friendly games in the franchise. Profit maximization was the motive behind the design decisions there.

Murderer Enshrined

In RE7, you really didn't have zombies slowly walking around trying to kill and eat you. In RE5, you had droves of enemies coming at you, running, full fury, and then they would stop, when they were about ten feet away from you, and start walking slowly sideways. In RE8, you often had times when you had droves of enemies doing what the enemies in RE5 did. So, idk. At least RE8 had lots of enemies roaming around, rather than a handful of hillbillies in a cabin in the woods. Could've passed for an Evil Dead game. Not knocking Evil Dead or Evil Dead games. There was at least one good Evil Dead game that I remember having on the Dreamcast. Just saying.

Hardware

I believe RE2R sales figures demonstrated that it's possible to make a classic Resident Evil game with updated graphics and features and still stay faithful to the origins. Capcom simply refuses to stay faithful and goes with the idiotic options when better design options are clearly available. See my above post about Not a Hero, it's certainly not 100% classic RE but it's certainly more RE than RE7, provided they implemented some good puzzles, and has a hint of Metroidavia, which would not offend me.

However, yes, RE7 and Village appears to have outsold RE2R and RE3R so they are definitely the more market friendly games in the franchise. Profit maximization was the motive behind the design decisions there.
You're right - save for the fact Village hasn't outsold RE2make. The latter currently stands as the third best-selling Capcom game ever, right behind RE7 which is at second place and it was released two years before (so more time to build up a user-base). Village is at number 12. As far as I know, it is not selling well in Japan. There's a chance RE2make might out-sell or at least get even with 7 in the long run. The much-maligned RE3make sits at number 14, only 600.000 copies away from Village.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
For the sake of shaking things up around here:

I thought there were plenty of moments that felt like Resident Evil within Village. To me it’s arguably no less RE than RE4/5/6/7 were and I know that I got way more RE vibes while playing Village than I did while playing RE7.

The entire boss fight against Moreau felt exactly like a classic RE boss fight should. Heisenberg’s factory with the puzzles and backtracking. The castle setting… It even had poor usage of characters and missed the mark with story development - just like the rest of the series! … ;p

But back to my main point, Village is definitely different and at times unrecognizable with some of their heavy handed decisions of amping up the supernatural while lazily explaining it away as bioweapons. It was clearly something that Capcom should have toned down during certain sections of the game.
The vampire-witch theme worked for me but the werewolves/lycans were just too much to add to the plate. They should have kept the general village enemies more fungal/molded based- but obviously with more variety than what RE7 presented. Maybe something in line with the creature from The Thing and how twisted and distorted in appearance it gets. Adjustments like that probably would have made a world of difference in terms of feeling less supernatural and more biological.

Adjustments to Village’s story- that’s a whole other discussion. They dropped the ball with Lady D and Heisenberg as there was a lot more potential for both characters (not to mention Lady D’s daughters were ridiculously easy to kill- they should have been more menacing and indeed less linear gameplay could have helped fix this).
Making Chris act like a douche for no other reason than to throw people off that he was- surprise- actually good was also just dumb writing.

But Ethan’s development did make me appreciate his character a bit more and made me ok with playing him as the main character again. I didn’t mind his general story but I definitely think Capcom could have incorporated past characters and storylines (like Ada and the mysterious company she works for or anything from Revelations 2) into the mix and gone a little deeper with the downfall and corruption of the BSAA.

But now that Ethan’s story is over, can we just overlook Rose and get a new major title with REmake2’s gameplay that follows up on Revelations 2’s story now? They keep reusing similar story concepts from Revelations 2 without friggin addressing the actual game itself that it’s infuriating.

Last edited:

RipvanX

I have voiced this before here but Village feels the most like a modern Far Cry game, it’s only missing the open world aspect. The way materials are gathered, the amount of weapons, hunting, etc. This game is too busy for its own good.

@Jonipoon RE7 had the stem packs system which restricted the player into choosing to combine to make health OR ammo. Village just throws this concept out the window and shoves scrap down the players throats.

In terms of lore it’s so bloated they didn’t have time to properly implement it. Instead it was all squeezed into a tiny Alien Covenant lab room at the very end. Carlos-Chris was about as bad as his RE7 counterpart, at least in the latter he wasn’t endangering innocent people because “waaah Miranda.”

This was the first mainline RE I haven’t bothered to platinum which is sad to say the least. I’m scared that we will be getting RE9 with Killer Clowns from Outer Space. RE has always had horror trope references in all its games but it is getting close to the point of just BEING those tropes and having no identity of its own anymore.

Also by making Village less scary because RE7 was “too scary” makes the whole point of soft rebooting the franchise AGAIN completely pointless. There was also no VR support which was the whole point of making RE7 the way it was to begin with.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

You're right - save for the fact Village hasn't outsold RE2make. The latter currently stands as the third best-selling Capcom game ever, right behind RE7 which is at second place and it was released two years before (so more time to build up a user-base). Village is at number 12. As far as I know, it is not selling well in Japan. There's a chance RE2make might out-sell or at least get even with 7 in the long run. The much-maligned RE3make sits at number 14, only 600.000 copies away from Village.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html
Ah yes silly me forgetting that there's a world outside of social media (Twitter, Youtube, etc) where Village is placed on a mile high pedestal and hardly criticized and Lady D is meme'd constantly. I'm guessing, don't quote me, that the Japanese and perhaps American audience were the most alienated from it, due to taking place in Romania, a country in which many Americans probably never heard of or know where it is.

I don't really have any other theory because I am quite shocked that it's number 12 (even though it is still fairly new), considering even Steam reviews are glowing all over it. Shocked as well that RE7 is numero uno. I mean, what is so special about it? xD

Normally I wouldn't pay so much attention to sales but sales is what affects the companies design decisions and therefore the content we receive so Village being so low and RE2R being so high could be good news. RE7 though.... :cautious:

~Excella~

Premium
The last few games haven't been Resident Evil imo, however, I have enjoyed them and appreciate the fact that they are willing to try new things to freshen it up. They need to go back to their roots now, get rid of Ethan and go back to third person. Go old school RE.

RedfieldFanboi

A bit of a tangent but is anyone else sick of how everyone keeps saying "back to its roots"? It's like an overplayed song. The more people say it, the less meaning it has for me.

RE has almost exclusively been an action-horror series (technothriller more precisely), even 1 which really only had the horror emphasized with REmake. The idea that 7 is somehow more connected to its "roots" is such a salesman pitch when it only seems to reflect at most half of the RE1's core theme.

Where is the *science*? That's what I want them to return to.

Hardware

The last few games haven't been Resident Evil imo, however, I have enjoyed them and appreciate the fact that they are willing to try new things to freshen it up.
The point is that you don't make a sequel to fresh things up: you can make improvements to the formula, even make it evolve, but you always have to preserve the franchise's identity. If you want to make something fresh, you come up with a new product - you don't turn the old product into something else. I honestly never saw a franchise getting abused and twisted as much as RE.

A bit of a tangent but is anyone else sick of how everyone keeps saying "back to its roots"? It's like an overplayed song. The more people say it, the less meaning it has for me.

RE has almost exclusively been an action-horror series (technothriller more precisely), even 1 which really only had the horror emphasized with REmake. The idea that 7 is somehow more connected to its "roots" is such a salesman pitch when it only seems to reflect at most half of the RE1's core theme.

I agree. Save for the action-horror part: DEAD SPACE is action horror. RE used to be horror. I don't really understand why everyone says that the old games used to be "action" only because you could fire guns. Guns are a staple of zombies movies and creature features (even in the original ALIEN movie they have flamethrowers) - the fact you can try and fight back doesn't mean it's "action", especially when you have a character that moves slowly even when running, who is going to limp when injured and whose control scheme is deliberately clunky to make him\her the opposite of agile. That's all stuff that, along with ammo scarcity, is supposed to make you carefully consider whether or not to engage in combat.

However, I agree: the "back to its roots" is just a marketing schtick. The only game that truly showed RE going back to its roots is RE2make - because it's the remake of an old game. New entries don't take the series back to basics. RE7 is not a real Resident Evil game - it's a survival horror game somehow reminiscent of RE, but it's something different that simply got the RE brand slapped on it. The fact it is in 1st person alone disqualifies it from being considered a RESIDENT EVIL game - aside from the different relationship you have with a character you play from the outside, in 1st person mode you cannot limp and your movements tend to be more fluid. Also, as you pointed out, the sci-fi element is more or less gone: RE7 and RE8 take inspiration from gothic and supernatural material (RE7 is very much a Southern Gothic story). The "biohazard" theme is only slapped on at the very last minute to awkwardly justify stuff that simply belongs to different subgenres.

Hardware

I'm guessing, don't quote me, that the Japanese and perhaps American audience were the most alienated from it, due to taking place in Romania, a country in which many Americans probably never heard of or know where it is.
I don't remember Japanese or American players being troubled by previous entries being set in Spain, Africa, China, and some fictional Eastern-European country. Also, I have a really hard time believing Americans never heard of Romania: I mean, most of them watched at least one "Dracula" movie in their life, right? I can accept most Yankees wouldn't be able to find it on the map, but it being so alien to them is a bit too much. As for the Japanese, I don't think the Romanian setting caused them any problem per se, as Europe as a whole is such a remote location for them. Also, they have a knack for gothic fiction and Romania is one of the quintessential gothic locations.
Shocked as well that RE7 is numero uno. I mean, what is so special about it? xD
Beats me too. I have honestly no idea why. I remember reading that its sales increased again at the beginning of the year because Village, which is its direct sequel, was coming and it definitely did sell well ever since it launched in 2017...but there's really nothing special about it. I was honestly expecting RE2make to surpass it without breaking a sweat since it sports everything everyone, including the RE4 crowd, loves about RE (OTS, lots of guns, Leon). Hell, nobody even took the trouble of heavily modding 7, while people keep messing up with the PC version of RE2make on an almost daily basis.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I agree. Save for the action-horror part: DEAD SPACE is action horror. RE used to be horror. I don't really understand why everyone says that the old games used to be "action" only because you could fire guns. Guns are a staple of zombies movies and creature features (even in the original ALIEN movie they have flamethrowers) - the fact you can try and fight back doesn't mean it's "action", especially when you have a character that moves slowly even when running, who is going to limp when injured and whose control scheme is deliberately clunky to make him\her the opposite of agile. That's all stuff that, along with ammo scarcity, is supposed to make you carefully consider whether or not to engage in combat.

However, I agree: the "back to its roots" is just a marketing schtick. The only game that truly showed RE going back to its roots is RE2make - because it's the remake of an old game. New entries don't take the series back to basics. RE7 is not a real Resident Evil game - it's a survival horror game somehow reminiscent of RE, but it's something different that simply got the RE brand slapped on it. The fact it is in 1st person alone disqualifies it from being considered a RESIDENT EVIL game - aside from the different relationship you have with a character you play from the outside, in 1st person mode you cannot limp and your movements tend to be more fluid. Also, as you pointed out, the sci-fi element is more or less gone: RE7 and RE8 take inspiration from gothic and supernatural material (RE7 is very much a Southern Gothic story). The "biohazard" theme is only slapped on at the very last minute to awkwardly justify stuff that simply belongs to different subgenres.

I don’t know how fans don’t see all the elements of action featured in the first 3 games which so many like to say is the core of the series. If anything, RE’s survival horror is more in line with ALIENS rather than ALIEN, which puts it right up there with DEAD SPACE’s action-horror style.

Chris is literally your stereotypical action hero in the first game (and onward) and though you do start off with limited ammo at the beginning of each game, by the end you’re basically going commando with grenade launchers and rocket launchers. I don’t even think I need to mention the excessive amount of ammunition and action featured in RE3.

This is all not to say that RE4, 5, and 6 didn’t overdo it with the action but I do think CAPCOM has finally figured out a good balance of action and horror with some of their more recent installments. Revelations 2 and the REmakes of 2 & 3 hit it out the park. I even think VILLAGE was pretty successful in blending the two.
RE7, to me, only started feeling like an RE game basically after the big chainsaw battle with Jack.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Agree with this. Considering the ridiculous amounts of ammo you receive in RE 1 2 and 3, I've always considered RE "Action over horror" rather than vice versa (In layman's terms, I mean the horror is the backdrop and the action is the driving force behind the gameplay, along with puzzle solving and inventory management) . The hunters were a different story though, 95% of the time it's more worth it to dodge them than fight them, at least in RE1 1996, REmake tried to balance that out a bit by making them a bit easier to fight but harder to dodge especially with their "stun swipes" that stopped you from moving and leaving yourself wide open when they hit you.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the B Star! :p

(Though I think RE7, as a game in itself, started getting weaker after the chainsaw Jack fight, that was the high point of the game for me, like the soft climax)

Last edited:

Hardware

I don’t know how fans don’t see all the elements of action featured in the first 3 games which so many like to say is the core of the series. If anything, RE’s survival horror is more in line with ALIENS rather than ALIEN, which puts it right up there with DEAD SPACE’s action-horror style..
The difference is that you do get rewarded by tearing necromorphs apart in DEAD SPACE and there are many sections where you must kill them all before you can move forward (pretty much every time Isaac fixes something, the area is sealed, creatures swarm in and you cannot exit until they are all grinded beef). In classic RE games, you don't gain anything by killing enemies and, save for boss fights, there's never a moment where you have to waste everything in sight. And, although "Aliens" had more action into it, it is a fine example of a sequel that didn't betray its prototype (not entirely, at least: the most nightmarish aspects have been overly-rationalized, but, still, you can see how solidly the two movies are connected).

Mr.R

The difference is that you do get rewarded by tearing necromorphs apart in DEAD SPACE and there are many sections where you must kill them all before you can move forward (pretty much every time Isaac fixes something, the area is sealed, creatures swarm in and you cannot exit until they are all grinded beef). In classic RE games, you don't gain anything by killing enemies and, save for boss fights, there's never a moment where you have to waste everything in sight.

You "gain" in the fact that you don't need to dodge them in tight corridors. RE always gave you more than enough ammo to kill pretty much everything, with the exception of harder modes like the RE1DC, for example. There's no RE where there's actual shortage of ammo, or that you need to rationalize if it's worth fighting or fleeing. Especially because there's actually more ammo than health in most RE games, so it's always more useful to kill your enemies and secure a clean route in games with more backtracking. If there's an aspect of RE that was exaggerated to infinity lately is this. RE always had a lot of ammo. It was always a good idea to fight, instead of running. I can understand that feeling the first time you play (even so any player can quickly realize how much ammo there's around in 2 and 3 for example), but anything beyond that is nostalgia for something that never existed. I can relate to that in games like Silent Hill, where there is a good amount of ammo, but you need to go out of your way to search for it, or games like Fatal Frame, where the good films are really rare.

Also, RE's gameplay was always more than enough to fight your enemies without problems. Coming from someone who played Alone in the Dark IV: A New Nightmare, Silent Hill, Fear Effect 1 and 2, Countdown Vampires, Chase the Express (not horror, but it has auto aim and fixed camera angles) and some other games from the time with similar combat, Resident Evil is by far the better one in terms of combat. Easily.

Hardware

You "gain" in the fact that you don't need to dodge them in tight corridors. RE always gave you more than enough ammo to kill pretty much everything, with the exception of harder modes like the RE1DC, for example. There's no RE where there's actual shortage of ammo, or that you need to rationalize if it's worth fighting or fleeing. Especially because there's actually more ammo than health in most RE games, so it's always more useful to kill your enemies and secure a clean route in games with more backtracking. If there's an aspect of RE that was exaggerated to infinity lately is this. RE always had a lot of ammo. It was always a good idea to fight, instead of running. I can understand that feeling the first time you play (even so any player can quickly realize how much ammo there's around in 2 and 3 for example), but anything beyond that is nostalgia for something that never existed. I can relate to that in games like Silent Hill, where there is a good amount of ammo, but you need to go out of your way to search for it, or games like Fatal Frame, where the good films are really rare.
Again, the game doesn't encourage that and you don't know whether or not the ammo is going to last. I am always talking from the POV of someone who is approaching the games for the first time: talking about them from the perspective of someone who has finished them over and over doesn't make any sense. For a lot of people, CODE: Veronica is a very difficult game, even though it's probably the only one where even a guy like me can take down almost everything with the knife...once you've been through it enough time to try it out, that is. It's not nostalgia for something that was never there: you're talking like someone who has seen a certain horror movie over and over and so is unaffected by it. BTW, ammo sometimes is actually not enough: on my first playthrough with OG RE2 (the first game in the series I ever played), 100 years ago, or something like that, I shot every zombie from the burning truck to the police station. As a result, I seriously struggled for a good portion of the game because I didn't have enough ammo. And in RE1 you can run out of ammo with Chris, as he doesn't have the extra 2 magazines to retrieve from the magic box like Jill does - those two clips make a lot of difference in the early stages of the game. Also, he doesn't have the grenade launcher, which is another serious hindrance.

Ikawaru

And in RE1 you can run out of ammo with Chris, as he doesn't have the extra 2 magazines to retrieve from the magic box like Jill does - those two clips make a lot of difference in the early stages of the game.

Wrong.

The biggest issue new players had with Chris was running out of ammo very early on (at lot of players did in fact give up over that fact) because they don't know that there's 2 magazines on Kenneth's body (Or the one on Forrest's body for that matter) also they're getting wrecked by the very first zombie using the knife.

Once you get the hang of the game though and discover these things, you are literally in the clear the rest of the game, even w/o the bazooka. Once you start acquiring shotgun shells especially with the small keys and the 2 boxes in the guardhouse basement you are very well stocked up for the rest of the game, even on your first playthrough. I know on my first playthrough I felt very secure even before I left the mansion for the 1st time (though to be fair I did beat it with Jill 1st, as I think most people did).

Last edited:
Top Bottom