• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised Umbrella Chronicles - The Death of Canon

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Since we are in the spooky season, I started up Umbrella Chronicles for the first time. I played Darkside Chronicles when it first came out and I loved it and I have to say - WHILE Umbrella Chronicles is fun to play, the canon is just beaten to a pulp on this one.

Obviously, everyone knows about the Ivan and Talos being nonsensical additions since they supposedly appear around the events of the first game... so they are Tyrants made perfectly BEFORE the first Tyrant who was supposedly the ultimate life form and their first successful experiment. No thought was put in to THAT.

But then also, when you get to play RE3, Jills first section is just non-events from the game. Dont you remember when Jill and Carlos hiked the highway around Raccoon City? Or when they fought the Gravedigger in the middle of the the street before they meet Nemesis. I see they wanted to include areas from Outbreak, but they should have included actual locations from the RE3 game.

It is a lot of fun though and I look forward to finishing it!

Mr.R

But then also, when you get to play RE3, Jills first section is just non-events from the game. Dont you remember when Jill and Carlos hiked the highway around Raccoon City? Or when they fought the Gravedigger in the middle of the the street before they meet Nemesis. I see they wanted to include areas from Outbreak, but they should have included actual locations from the RE3 game.

For them to include anything from the og RE3 they would need to make it from scratch. Considering UC is pretty much made of reused assets, with only the Russia level and a few of the bosses being actually new, it doesn't surprise me that their RE3 scenario is basic a trip on Outbreak Locations. I do agree with you though, RE3 is the weakest part of UC (and the intro movie for the scenario is pretty ridiculous).

DC did a much better job, in a sense that recreated the scenarios from RE2 and CV from scratch. That was cool.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It is still fun and entertaining, but the original RE3 is the game I have not played in the longest, so it shocked me when it was quite different.

It is still strange they did not include ANY Nemesis in the first Jill/Carlos path but instead made the Gravedigger the level boss.

Ridley Lockhart

Since we are in the spooky season, I started up Umbrella Chronicles for the first time. I played Darkside Chronicles when it first came out and I loved it and I have to say - WHILE Umbrella Chronicles is fun to play, the canon is just beaten to a pulp on this one.

Obviously, everyone knows about the Ivan and Talos being nonsensical additions since they supposedly appear around the events of the first game... so they are Tyrants made perfectly BEFORE the first Tyrant who was supposedly the ultimate life form and their first successful experiment. No thought was put in to THAT.

It is a lot of fun though and I look forward to finishing it!
Lol i never thought about that...the Ivan's roaming around with Sergei, sure it's sort of out of sight for the main events going on during the Mansion Incident. But it does kind of contradict the T-002 Tyrant and Wesker presenting it as "The Ultimate Lifeform". The Ivan's were clearly superior. Makes no business sense. And there WAS the Prototyrant in RE0 but while deadly was just that, a prototype.

I have mixed thoughts on the Raccoon Incident section. Positively, it was super cool seeing Jill and Carlos in Outbreak stages, the first level, the underground substation from the "Underbelly" scenario and the RPD from "Desperate Times" scenario. Plus that IMO was kind of the best version of Carlos this far and Julia Voth as Jill. Nuff said.

Keeping in mind they're also kind of shackled by having to fit the story of RE3 within three scenarios, also Nemesis sounded like a robot.

At least they blew up the city with a nuke instead of launching several rockets or something like in the Outbreak games.

The scenario with Ada was kind of cool, seeing how she survived, going to the Apple Inn, and ends up going thru that "End Of The Road" scenario from File#2. I swear that was Spencer with the oxygen tank in the chopper with Sergei.

But i still found the game fun. And it's one of the only three games to include the V-Act "Crimson Heads". The other two being REmake and the atrocious Operation Raccoon City. I always liked them cause they remind me of the infected from 28 Days Later. Not the slow moving, shambling, moaning zombies who might catch you because of camera angles.

Also dunno if this thread is just about the Chronicles games, but i liked Survivor and Dead Aim. If they it a trilogy, UC, Darkside then a "Survivor Chronicles, that would be BOSS. Or BANK! Either way.

I just did care for Gaiden or Operation Raccoon City or the RE3R.

Last edited:

Ridley Lockhart

For them to include anything from the og RE3 they would need to make it from scratch. Considering UC is pretty much made of reused assets, with only the Russia level and a few of the bosses being actually new, it doesn't surprise me that their RE3 scenario is basic a trip on Outbreak Locations. I do agree with you though, RE3 is the weakest part of UC (and the intro movie for the scenario is pretty ridiculous).

DC did a much better job, in a sense that recreated the scenarios from RE2 and CV from scratch. That was cool.
I wasn't going to say anything....but the Raccoon intro from UC..i know exactly what you're referring to. Surely they knew exactly doing with that. Poor Jill lol

Also that Russian mission was cool. TALOS was ridiculous, but they did include the laser scene/sequence from the first RE movie which was cool even if they had Chris and Jill doing unreasonable gymnastics to avoid the lasers. It looked cool with green lasers instead of blue like the movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom