• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revelations 1 What do you think of RE Revelations ?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have to say - for my first post - this was kind of awesome. I can't believe I didn't mentioned Raymond's bad model. But hey - can't be perfect!

Wesker90

Good game it's well balanced personally I'll take this over it's sequel for the most part except Raid Mode.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Seriously, what is this s**t.

I just started playing this yesterday after I found a Halloween bargain on the PS4 store, but I'm considering deleting it now because its effin terrible. The story is just so weak and doesn't captivate me at all, the character models and graphics look like something from a 2005 game and not 2012, environments are lifeless and boring, and overall it feels very cheap. The monsters are the ugliest looking I've seen in a RE game, and I mean that in a bad way. Not to mention that the gameplay is frustrating, I hate the scanner thing because it takes you out of the game and makes annoying sounds. The dialogue is terrible as well, it seems like the actors just don't care at all. "Jill, where are you?" "I don't know, in a room I think....".

Revelations 2 is one of my favorite games in the series, and its what made me return to the world of Resident Evil after almost 20 years. So of course I expected the first Revelations to be at least playable, but it's not. At least not to me. In all honesty I haven't proceeded further than the 3rd Episode yet, so can someone please tell me if it gets better or if its gonna be like this for the entire game?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Considering it was a 3DS game, I don't know what you expected. It's by no means a favorite of mine, but it was enjoyable. I don't understand how gameplay is frustrating either. It's literally just Resident Evil gameplay, but the characters feel more floaty due to previously being controlled by a slider and not an analog stick. The genesis scanner wasn't that bad either. No different than having Moira shine light at objects. The dialogue was also purposely cheesy as the whole purpose of the game was to be an homage to classic Resident Evil. The console version may be technically superior, but it was definitely a better 3DS experience.

Reactions: Jen

Jonipoon

Just found out that it was originally a 3DS game. Oh well, that explains a lot.

It still doesn't change my experience so far though. The reason why I compare the scanner unfavorably to Moira's flashlight is because the scanner switches into a uncomfortable first person perspective. Overall, I find the camera too close to the character's back which makes me feel a bit nauseatic.

What I'm trying to get at is.... Is it worth continuing for the story itself? Does it get more interesting?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Just found out that it was originally a 3DS game. Oh well, that explains a lot.

It still doesn't change my experience so far though. The reason why I compare the scanner unfavorably to Moira's flashlight is because the scanner switches into a uncomfortable first person perspective. Overall, I find the camera too close to the character's back which makes me feel a bit nauseatic.

What I'm trying to get at is.... Is it worth continuing for the story itself? Does it get more interesting?

I'd say so, but considering how much you've expressed dislike for it, it really depends on what you're willing to put up with. I think the game has some really great moments and innovative ideas. And as I'm sure you're familiar with from the 2nd game, the story definitely has its twists and turns. I see no reason not to stick with it for at least one playthrough.

Reactions: Jen

Jonipoon

I'd say so, but considering how much you've expressed dislike for it, it really depends on what you're willing to put up with. I think the game has some really great moments and innovative ideas. And as I'm sure you're familiar with from the 2nd game, the story definitely has its twists and turns. I see no reason not to stick with it for at least one playthrough.
I guess I'll try to complete it but that's only because of Jill.

D

Deleted member 21244

Revelations was a good game, far superior than Re 6 but inferior than re 5... I don't really think this kind of plot fit whit a resident evil game

Imo it was more enjoyable on 3ds than ps4 because you could use the 3d touch for the inventory and for enigma too, however they made good change into the ps4 port, like adding a new enemy, having the character moving the mouth while talking in game, changing the final boss more difficult making him more harder and adding more laser in the laboratory, but I think the real experience is on 3ds, I really dislike the fact that you cannot use the touch in the final chapter to open door underwater...

Mr.R

I have mixed feelings on Revelations. First, let's get out of the way the fact that it was originally conceived for a portable system, and being what it is, it's not so bad, but it makes it harder to compare to regular entries on the series (for example, on my opinion, it's inferior to RE5 and especially RE6, which I actually rate higher than 5.).

That being said, I'll start with the things I like it: The game is pretty. Even on the 3ds it was pretty, and when I got it for my PS3 I really enjoyed the graphics and the atmosphere of the Queen Zenobia (not so much on the other set pieces though). On a sense, it's graphically very similar to Revelations 2, which was conceived for regular consoles (damn...Revelations 2 really had a lame budget...). The game plays well. Similar to RE4, but you can walk and aim. The dodge system is...clumsy, but it kinda works and the partner A.I doesn't get in your way. It's okay. Raid mode is nice, actually better than Mercenaries in some instances.

Now, for the things I didn't liked it: Story is garbage. It's a convoluted mess of a plot, with badly written dialogue. It also have horrible, horrible characters. Jill has the characterization of a door, Parker is okay-ish, same as O'Brien. Chris is pretty much okay, he's same old Chris, and Roger Craig Smith does a better job than anyone in this game. Raymond is a crappy character with a crappy haircut, Jessica is annoying and Rachael is just a walking anime fan-service. Quint and Keith are equally annoying. The plot is totally irrelevant to the series as a whole and I doubt we'll see the G-Abyss back in the series (or even Revelations original characters, for that matter, except for Parker in a mangá so...not much). Enemy design is very uninspired too and most of them are "meh" to me. The hunters are also a disappointment, since they're an enemy you're supposed to fear, but it's kinda hard to fear them when you fight packs of three or four at the same time, dropping them easily with even a damn handgun. The Genesis is a gimmick that makes the game way too easier, because every damn room has two or three secret ammo pickups. I normally play without using the Genesis to scan for itens. Only enemies and story related bits, to make the game a little harder, because it forces me to cycle through my weapons and to have some strategy involved.

In the end, it plays okay, it's easy on the eyes, but it has some crappy plot with annoying characters.

D

Deleted member 21244

I have mixed feelings on Revelations. First, let's get out of the way the fact that it was originally conceived for a portable system, and being what it is, it's not so bad, but it makes it harder to compare to regular entries on the series (for example, on my opinion, it's inferior to RE5 and especially RE6, which I actually rate higher than 5.).

That being said, I'll start with the things I like it: The game is pretty. Even on the 3ds it was pretty, and when I got it for my PS3 I really enjoyed the graphics and the atmosphere of the Queen Zenobia (not so much on the other set pieces though). On a sense, it's graphically very similar to Revelations 2, which was conceived for regular consoles (damn...Revelations 2 really had a lame budget...). The game plays well. Similar to RE4, but you can walk and aim. The dodge system is...clumsy, but it kinda works and the partner A.I doesn't get in your way. It's okay. Raid mode is nice, actually better than Mercenaries in some instances.

Now, for the things I didn't liked it: Story is garbage. It's a convoluted mess of a plot, with badly written dialogue. It also have horrible, horrible characters. Jill has the characterization of a door, Parker is okay-ish, same as O'Brien. Chris is pretty much okay, he's same old Chris, and Roger Craig Smith does a better job than anyone in this game. Raymond is a crappy character with a crappy haircut, Jessica is annoying and Rachael is just a walking anime fan-service. Quint and Keith are equally annoying. The plot is totally irrelevant to the series as a whole and I doubt we'll see the G-Abyss back in the series (or even Revelations original characters, for that matter, except for Parker in a mangá so...not much). Enemy design is very uninspired too and most of them are "meh" to me. The hunters are also a disappointment, since they're an enemy you're supposed to fear, but it's kinda hard to fear them when you fight packs of three or four at the same time, dropping them easily with even a damn handgun. The Genesis is a gimmick that makes the game way too easier, because every damn room has two or three secret ammo pickups. I normally play without using the Genesis to scan for itens. Only enemies and story related bits, to make the game a little harder, because it forces me to cycle through my weapons and to have some strategy involved.

In the end, it plays okay, it's easy on the eyes, but it has some crappy plot with annoying characters.
You are saying that revelations had bad plot bad character and that the story plot is irrelevant to the series and resident evil 6 is better?

Imo re 6 had all the things you written there, bad plot, it's irrelevant to the series, bad gameplay, ****ty dialogue, ****ty character and easy difficulty level... I don't see how re 6 can be better than revelation or even better than 5

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Revelations 1 has a lot going for it, but also has a lot going against it.

The enemies and locations are all horrifying. The Queen Zenobia has a lot of character to it. The enemies are unique and varied enought o make each new challenge pretty challenging. The bosses are mostly memorable. The first boss fight in particular (no spoilers yet) - is quite a doozy.

However, the new character models are pretty bad. They all look bad. Parker, Raymond, and Jessica are all weirdly designed. Chris and Jill luckily look pretty good for a 3DS game. Then there are separate sections of the game that are not quite as good as exploring the Queen Zenobia. Anytime you have to use Quint and Keith or are exploring as just Chris in that one mountain level - these sections aren't fun and feel like padding to me. Is the game worth it? Absolutely. 100%.

I also like the weird scanning mechanic. Gave me something to do while exploring less busy sections.

Mr.R

You are saying that revelations had bad plot bad character and that the story plot is irrelevant to the series and resident evil 6 is better?

Imo re 6 had all the things you written there, bad plot, it's irrelevant to the series, bad gameplay, ****ty dialogue, ****ty character and easy difficulty level... I don't see how re 6 can be better than revelation or even better than 5

That's the beauty of opinions. I disagree 100% on what you said. I like RE6 and I posted the reasons on other topics, like the one we rank the games and the one we rank the story. At any rate, Revelations for me, it's a flawed game but it's fun. It's worth going until the end, at least.

D

Deleted member 21244

Y
That's the beauty of opinions. I disagree 100% on what you said. I like RE6 and I posted the reasons on other topics, like the one we rank the games and the one we rank the story. At any rate, Revelations for me, it's a flawed game but it's fun. It's worth going until the end, at least.
Yeah obviously everyone had its opinion, I was just wondering what makes resident evil 6 better than revelations 1 and resident evil 5, that's all

mert20004

It's decent. Not as great as the 2nd one but it's alright. Cool prequel to re5.

My criticisms would be;

1. No inventory and instead lame ammo bags.
2. Genesis has broken range.
3. Lazy healing system; ı wished combining herbs was possible. Didnt like revelations' method. Also no other healing method other than herbs.
4. Jill is very boring in this game and her design looks weird.
5. Rachel and jessica as characters and their design look absurd. Rachel as a monster is annoying.
6. Boring villains.
7. Partner AI.

Regardless of these; it's still way better than that overrated re7.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I wish I got a chance to play Revelations on the 3DS like originally intended. When you play it on a PS4, you can tell it was made for lesser hardware. Still fun. But man, all of the new characters are badly designed. HARD to look at.

Rachel was annoying, but I thought her sequences added a lot of fear to a fairly unscary game.

D

Deleted member 21244

I wish I got a chance to play Revelations on the 3DS like originally intended. When you play it on a PS4, you can tell it was made for lesser hardware. Still fun. But man, all of the new characters are badly designed. HARD to look at.

Rachel was annoying, but I thought her sequences added a lot of fear to a fairly unscary game.
I played it for the first time on 3ds and it was amazing, i also played the ps3 and ps4 version and the game is not made for console, you even miss some puzzle to do with the 3ds touch and thats a shame

Top Bottom