• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's everybody playing?

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
AVP Extinction was one of his earlier reviews, and he does give credit where it's due. But there's also a lot wrong like repetitive environments, sound mixing, the Predator campaign's difficulty spikes (and that one music track he calls a Captain Beefheart experiment which always makes me chuckle). But that's his wheelhouse, is ambitious and eccentric but flawed games.
To think my mom had to listen to this game in the background… LOL

I do like this guy’s reviews so thank you for sharing!

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
To think my mom had to listen to this game in the background… LOL

I do like this guy’s reviews so thank you for sharing!

Happy I could help, I've been watching since his Limbo of the Lost video got sucked up into the YT algorithm and wouldn't stop being recommended to me, lmao

Ikawaru

Silent Hill 4: The Room

What an interesting game, I'm at the part where you have to unlock all of the apartment doors and get to Eileen's apartment. This game is not for the mentally feeble/cluttered, you have to have a sense of mental clarity and soundness and pay attention to all the notes and all the dialogue to progress in the game. Drug addicts/alcoholics need not apply here. While I am progressing in the game fairly steadily, something tells me I may have to replay the game to see the pattern of this whole "Orphan Walter, son of Rachael and Mike killed a bunch of people" riddle, the pattern of the games plot is certainly unraveling itself but I may need one more playthrough to piece it together completely. Something tells me that I should not take all of this at face value and their may be some kind of bit of a "twist" later on.

Controls and combat are frankly, terrible, and I've managed to hopskip through the game with minimal fighting because it's more of sound strategy to just dodge everything, go back through the "hole", heal up, and then venture forth again. I mean it can be fun to shoot and ****stomp enemies occaisionally, but most of the time it's not even worth it. All-in-all the controls and combat leave something to be desired, even though I've pretty much gotten used to them by now.

Wasn't this game poorly received by "the community" when it was launched? I remember reading something to the effect that the feedback of this game was so abysmal and sales were quite poor that Konami pulled the plug on Team Silent and handed the series to a different studio. At this point that seems kind of strange because while the game is certainly not alpha tier holy grail of gaming, it is certainly not a bad game and has a lot of interesting features and themes. It seems to have aged well because I am enjoying and it seems to be slowly finding an audience with time. It's just unorthodox and requires a certain mindset and perhaps was just a little too ahead of its time.

Will continue playing and see where these trails of bodies lead me and find out what the deal is between Walter and Henry, Silent Hill, the orphanage and this weird religious cult. "011/21" out!

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Silent Hill 4: The Room (cont.)

Ok, game is definitely getting creepier and more challenging as you progress. Your room is no longer a perfect "safe space" where you auto heal, it's getting darker, creepier and the auto heal function is disabled so you have to be more careful and calculating when engaging enemies because...you can't auto heal! The plot is still unraveling itself and interesting but still nothing really "shocking" has happened yet.

I just got past the subway station (again), this time with Eileen. There was tons of backtracking in this segment and I can imagine a lot of players giving up at this point with no room healing, backtracking through subways, and having to babysit Eileen. It personally didn't bother me too much, slightly annoying perhaps but I can imagine impatient people getting frustrated here and perhaps throwing in the towel. Dogged determination got me through it though. Am now at the part where you're back in the forest putting body parts together and getting closer to The Truth.

As far as scares go, I don't find this game game particularly unsettling. Maybe because it's a 20 year old game and things become desensitized over time, but thus far the only things that truly creeped me out was some of the ghosts, the room losing its "safe space" appeal, and Eileen's giant head gawking at me in the hospital (by far the scariest part of the game so far). The interesting plot, dialogue, writing, pacing, and how it all ties into progression are the strongest aspects of the game, and I can only imagine that 20 years ago it was probably an even scarier experience. It's definitely gotten creepier though than it was in the 1st half of the game.

Alright, back to the game, I just found a chain that Eileen can equip, may make her more useful in combat hopefully. She does a great job agro-ing monsters so I can outflank them with my axe so if she can have more attack power, that would be great. Still itching to see what this "Truth" is that Joseph keeps writing about in the red diaries.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Silent Hill 4: The Room (cont.)

Ok, game is definitely getting creepier and more challenging as you progress. Your room is no longer a perfect "safe space" where you auto heal, it's getting darker, creepier and the auto heal function is disabled so you have to be more careful and calculating when engaging enemies because...you can't auto heal! The plot is still unraveling itself and interesting but still nothing really "shocking" has happened yet.

I just got past the subway station (again), this time with Eileen. There was tons of backtracking in this segment and I can imagine a lot of players giving up at this point with no room healing, backtracking through subways, and having to babysit Eileen. It personally didn't bother me too much, slightly annoying perhaps but I can imagine impatient people getting frustrated here and perhaps throwing in the towel. Dogged determination got me through it though. Am now at the part where you're back in the forest putting body parts together and getting closer to The Truth.

As far as scares go, I don't find this game game particularly unsettling. Maybe because it's a 20 year old game and things become desensitized over time, but thus far the only things that truly creeped me out was some of the ghosts, the room losing its "safe space" appeal, and Eileen's giant head gawking at me in the hospital (by far the scariest part of the game so far). The interesting plot, dialogue, writing, pacing, and how it all ties into progression are the strongest aspects of the game, and I can only imagine that 20 years ago it was probably an even scarier experience. It's definitely gotten creepier though than it was in the 1st half of the game.

Alright, back to the game, I just found a chain that Eileen can equip, may make her more useful in combat hopefully. She does a great job agro-ing monsters so I can outflank them with my axe so if she can have more attack power, that would be great. Still itching to see what this "Truth" is that Joseph keeps writing about in the red diaries.
I’m curious to hear what you think after you complete your play through. I personally love SH4 and think that it’s such an underrated SH game. While the game does have its flaws, I think it has one of the more interesting and unsettling stories of the series.

Ikawaru

I’m curious to hear what you think after you complete your play through. I personally love SH4 and think that it’s such an underrated SH game. While the game does have its flaws, I think it has one of the more interesting and unsettling stories of the series.

I beat it, it was quite good! I think I got the bad ending though because I just wanted to get through it xD. Story didn't pan out as interesting as I hoped but it was still solid and "horror movie" grade if you wanna call it. A little too much emphasis on the Christianity/Satanism duality for my liking but all-in-all I enjoyed solving the riddle and reading all the notes. I may try again later and gun for the good ending. I'm glad I finished it though in any case, I only had to cheat and look up what to do next a couple times so that's something!

From what I can gather, it applies the Japanese national problem of young people living in isolation and being afraid to leave their rooms with Western themes of Christian horror, so it's an interesting mixed bag of storytelling (Christianity IS on the decline in the West but nonetheless that was the design philosophy they went for).

I just looked it up. I got the **** ending because I didn't take proper care of Eileen and because I didn't clear all the "hauntings" in room 302. I may just restart and try harder and go for the good ending.

Can't wait to try SH2R!

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I tried giving Ghost of Tsushima a chance a few weeks ago, but I lost interest very quickly because of how ridiculously linear the game is. After hearing so many good things about this game I was surprised by its childish tendency to "hold your hand" in almost every situation and give little room for self-exploration or divergent paths. I might as well be watching a movie, and that's not what you want from a video game.

It remains to be seen if I decide to pick it up again. So far I've managed to reach the open world part and I've done a few missions, and while the story isn't that bad to be honest, the linear directives and overall generic structure of the game hurts the story - unfortunately.

Top Bottom