• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revelations 2 Your opinion on Revelations 2

How do you like Revelations 2?

• One of the best RE games ever!

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • I’m in love!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Nice, good game.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Okay, but nothing special.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Meh, disappointing...

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • One of the worst RE games ever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Here you can post your reviews and overall impressions of Revelations 2. I’ll start, and to put it bluntly, I absolutely love the game! It’s not perfect, but competes well with the classics in terms of gameplay and scariness, while also adding some of the better elements from the new games such as the controls and unlockable skills. Unfortunately I can’t say the same about the PC port. This review will summarise my impressions of the campaign only, because I think Raid Mode is like a different game within the game and should be treated as such. But people who have been active here lately should already know how much I enjoy it.

Story & Characters

I can’t talk too much about this, obviously, because some people here haven’t played the game yet and don’t want to be spoiled, so I’ll keep it short: Claire and Barry return, the Overseer is an intriguing villain with a goal that is different from anything we’ve seen in this series so far, and for the first time in the history of RE games you can play as almost all recurring main characters in Raid Mode. As for the story, it is divided into four main and two bonus episodes, each ending on a cliffhanger, and while some of the twists and revelations are rather predictable, and the game doesn’t really answer all the questions it brings up, it’s still one of the better stories. I should also mention that certain things you do in Claire’s part will affect Barry’s. Overall I enjoyed the former more than the latter, because Barry comes across many places that Claire has already explored, and it gets a little boring especially in the second episode. His fourth episode also seems to drag on forever and has a very annoying section involving poisonous gas. But I still find it a lot more enjoyable than anything Revelations 1 had to offer. I was only really disappointed with the bonus episodes, especially Natalia’s which is about sneaking past enemies, and even being spotted by them causes an instant game over. That was no fun at all, I was glad when it was over and I could collect the BP, but at least it added a little to the story.

Puzzles & Co-op

First things first: The puzzles return. Yay! While none of them will fry your brain, some definitely require you to stop and think and backtrack a little instead of just running through the locations like you’re used to after RE5 and 6. Especially noteworthy is the third episode, where in Claire’s part the puzzles are combined with deadly traps, and in Barry’s part you have to switch back and forth between him and Natalia all the time because they’re separated for a while. That being said, I can assure you that Moira and Natalia are not just living Genesis scanners. Pointing out hidden objects is actually the least important thing they do, as their special abilities are often needed to solve the aforementioned puzzles and provide assistance in combat. Unlike Ashley and young Sherry, they’re not completely defenceless either; Moira can temporarily blind enemies with her flashlight and pummel them with her crowbar, whereas Natalia can throw bricks that are not the most powerful weapon, but enough to kill weaker enemies and expose the weak spots of Revenants. Both characters will also use their abilities autonomously, with Natalia’s ability to sense the presence of monsters being crucial to your success in fights against the invisible Glasps. The only downside of this system is that the AI can be really stupid sometimes, and what annoys me most is their tendency not to keep up. Imagine you run ahead as Moira to search a new area for hidden items and an enemy that is too strong for her crowbar shows up, so you switch to Claire just to discover she’s still three rooms behind. But other than that it’s an interesting team play that differs from the usual co-op experience in RE, where either both characters are the same or one is completely helpless. Not this time!

Inventory & Healing system

The health and healing system works similar to that Revelations 1. Whereas Raid Mode gives you a health bar, in the campaign you have to rely on the bloodiness of the screen to determine how much your character is currently suffering. Use green herbs to heal, with one being enough to restore your health completely. Similar to RE6, combining a green and a red herb gives you three green herbs, and your two characters can easily heal each other by using one while the partner is nearby. Moira and Natalia have regenerating health, though, and can be revived if they die, so don’t bother wasting herbs on them. Getting hurt can put you in a bleeding state, which means that bloodstains will obscure your vision for a while, and some enemies can cover you in slime that makes you practically blind. I understand that this is supposed to make the game more realistic and enemy encounters more terrifying, but in the end it’s just incredibly annoying. The fact that the game adds new health-related items to deal with those impairments, such as tourniquets to stop the bleeding and disinfectants to wipe slime from your face, doesn’t really help it because with how the inventory is set up, it will probably take you just as long to get to and use those items as it takes for the bleeding and slime effects to wear off naturally. And the inventory happens in real-time!

Speaking of tourniquets and disinfectants, you will rarely happen upon those items in the game. That’s because one of my favourite features from RE3 has returned, the ability to create your own items, not just by combining herbs in the inventory, but other things as well. Instead of finding exploding or firebomb bottles ready for use in the game, you collect several ingredients such as empty bottles, pieces of cloth and alcohol, and different combinations of those ingredients will result in different weapons and healing items. Combine wisely, as different weapons have different effects on monsters; for example, Revenants can be easily defeated with a firebomb bottle that burns them long enough to expose their weak spot and destroy it, whereas the smoke from a smokescreen bottle, besides being useful for stealth attacks, counteracts the effects of Glasp gas and makes them visible. Have fun figuring out what works best for you!

Scariness

Something that old-school fans keep brining up is that RE isn’t scary anymore. Well, I don’t think it was ever really scary in the first place. Games like Silent Hill are scary, whereas RE relies more on gore and jump scares, but I’d say that if you thought the classics were scary, you will say the same about Revelations 2. The campaign doesn’t have any mindless action. There is one intense scene where you have to fight off a rather large group of Afflicted, eventually culminating in a boss fight, but these sequences are few and far between, and always make sense in context. Raid Mode is all about action, but the campaign won’t disappoint you with its tense atmosphere.

Unlockables

Skills, secret files, difficulty settings, outfits, concept art, figurines, screen filters – it’s all there. The best thing is probably that you don’t have to pay for most of it, at least not with real money; except for the bonus episodes and a few Raid Mode skins, additional content is usually unlocked by meeting certain conditions in the game itself and can be bought with BP, which is earned by playing through the campaign and collecting treasures. Since many of those things are rather expensive, they give you an incentive to replay the game a few times. Doing so also unlocks content (mostly characters) in Raid Mode.

PC port

I have to be blunt again: The PC port is trash. Terrible lag and stutter whenever there are effects going on (especially fire and fog), Raid Mode crashes, infinite loading times and out of sync cutscenes are among the biggest issues. Capcom have released a few patches to take care of little things like the mouse cursor on the screen during cutscenes, and I realise that bigger issues probably take more time to fix, but it’s been a whole month, and all of this could have been avoided if the game had been properly tested on a PC before they released it. If I were to judge the game solely based on its performance, I would give it a 1/10. But I just learned that a new patch has been released to day, I’ll check it out soon.

Closing words

Despite the bad port and a few nit-picky negatives I have pointed out, I absolutely love the game. You know me, I’m not a Capcom fangoddess, but this time I really have to praise them for listening to their fans, taking their requests seriously and basically giving them everything they’ve been asking for for years: The return of Claire and Barry, the inclusion of puzzles and scariness, many references to past games, a Raid Mode that is even better than the last one and lets you play as many recurring main characters. So I have no qualms about saying that I consider Revelations 2 one of the best RE games to date.

Last edited:

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Great review!

I still need to get around to buying the Complete Season, but the things I've been hearing about the PC/Steam port have made me want to bide my time a little more whilst Capcom get some optimization fixes out. Shame, too, because it looks amazing in co-op mode!

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I can't wait to play it for myself and share my own review :)
This is a great review and im glad to see honest opinions about the nostalgic aspects.
I read a review the other day that- get this!- slated the puzzles in the game.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I basically agree with everything you just said but there are a few things that I can add due to playing on PS4 and co-op all the way through.

So, in addition to the screen bloodiness the ps4 has a light bar on the controller that turns from green to orange to red depending on what health you are on. I found this to be incredibly useful as I always looked at my controller before deciding if I wanted to waste a herb or not. This helped me as I couldn't ever tell the scale of bloodiness before dying would happen.

Co-op in this game is awesome. I played as Claire and Barry while my sister played as Moira and Natalia. What I loved was even though I had all of the ammo, we always tried to save it e.g by her shining her torch, me meleeing and then her stabbing with the crowbar. I love how the melee system works in this game. My sister originally thought it would be weird plaing a Resi game without a gun but soon became accustomed to the different techniques used by the characters.

The only thing that I thought was weird in co-op is that your partner's health still regenerates automatically, which takes a bit of fun out of what I thought would be rationing herbs.

Anyway, I think I loved this game as much as you did and I think it has one of the best stories along with RE1, 2 and CV. It's definittely one of my favourite RE games and I will decide where it goes once I finish multiple replays of the game.

Claire WOOOO!!!

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I read a review the other day that- get this!- slated the puzzles in the game.
Heresy! :p

I have heard a few negatives about the puzzles in Episode 4, but to my uninformed knowledge the puzzles are meant to be pretty spot-on for the earlier episodes.

e_etu

Soram ~
Still waiting to get my game.. D: i wanna play this game so badly.
I hope it arrives tomorrow so i have something to do on weekend.

sbr999

Just wrapped up EP 4 invisible and countdown mode. So I'm pretty much finished with the game for now. Waiting for the new patch so I can get the last 2 achievements on Steam.

Story

The story is pretty good, and unlike Revelations 1 it actually leads somewhere. With a terrible pun, you could say there's a revelation actually. The idea of retracing the events of the past was kind of unique, and the plot twists at the end of each episode manage to keep up interest to the very end. The new character cast is interesting and enjoyable. Even Moira despite her terribly written lines. However the highlight of the story for me was the interaction between Barry and Natalia.

Gameplay and atmosphere
Since we are talking about a survival horror game the first thing I should start with is the atmosphere. The game isn't scary at all and there aren't many jump scares either. But is that a bad thing? Well if you want a game that scares the living hell out of you then probably this isn’t the one you should get, however despite that, it's a very atmospheric game, with plenty of details. Each chapter during Claire's segment of the episode you walk through a set location, while playing Barry’s portion of the episode you revisit them. It might sounds kind of lame, that Capcom just recycle the same locations, but it actually works pretty well. All locations go through major changes due to the 6 months difference between the story of Claire and Barry: some routes are blocked away, some paths are opened up. They are the same locations yet they feel and play quite different. The enemy line-up is also different, however there's one small detail I really liked: in Claire's campaign the enemies are lively, mutated humans but in Barry's campaign those same enemies are rotting corpses since several months have passed. It is indeed a small detail but it was a nice addition for the atmosphere.
The research notes and survivor letters scattered throughout the game also shed some light on the events of the story.
The focus of the game is survival (unlike recent RE entries) as the supplies are limited and your characters are quite vulnerable. The game doesn’t have many enemies, however they are very well placed, and hit pretty hard. There’s a heavy emphasis on utilizing every character’s abilities in order to progress: Claire and Barry are the weapons experts, while Moira and Natalia play as support, helping you open up otherwise unreachable paths, locating hidden items and stun enemies. It is basicly asymmetric team gameplay done right. The AI is certainly not the best, however the support characters have regenerating health, so you don’t really need to worry about them. They can mess up terribly sometimes, by not following orders, but it doesn’t happen often!
Puzzle elements return, but they are mostly rather simple ones and there’s plenty of fetch-styled puzzles as well. They are not too bad, but some of them were just awkward and out of place.

Overall the gameplay offers solid gunplay and smart team management mechanics allowing you to switch between characters. The controls from the previous Revelations are improved and the revamped evade mechanics works perfect!

Production value (graphics, sounds, animations etc)
Despite he game is supposedly a budget release, I would say it is quite decent. The graphics are certainly not the best, but the game looks nice enough (minus the film grain effect, which can be rather annoying in dark indoor areas) and the lighting effects are particularly well done.

Where the smaller budget shows however is how the animations were done, there are plenty of clipping, and some of the animations look sloppily executed. (Enemies spawning in front of you and the questionable hitboxes just to name a few of the problems)
Music was good, though aside from two tracks (escape theme and EP3 boss fight), I wouldn't say the soundtrack was memorable.

As for the voice acting, it was good. Many expressed their disappointment that Alyson Court didn’t return as Claire, but I must say the new actress was doing good, aside some oddly delivered lines. Barry’s and Natalia’s voice actors were great and the interaction between them felt natural. The weakest voice was probably Moira’s but I blame it on her horribly written lines. Every time she spoke it just felt….wrong.

Length and replay value
The length of the game is fairly short, so with an average pace you can finish the story on your first playthrough in about 8 hours. Despite the main campaign being short there's plenty of replay value thanks to Countdown and Invisible modes. Both are challenging in their own way. There are plenty of unlockables ranging from Secret files which add more depth to story, secret weapons (such as the Chicago Typewritter, a katana and even silly ones like the Bubble gun, just to name a few) and the usual figurines and concept art. Also good news for those who were missing Claire's biker suit and Barry's STARS outfit that they can be unlocked as well for finishing the story under certain conditions!

PC port
The initial release was a horrible mess, but as of March 19. Capcom adressed most of the performance issues, such as framerate drops, stutterings and crashes for the story mode. I don't play Raid mode so I cannot confirm there's any improvement there.
There are still some issues left such as buggy Steam achievement and keyboard funtionality problem during the last boss fight, but hopefully they will be patched up soon.

PROS
- Interesting story
- Excellent atmosphere focusing on building tension rather than mindless action
- Gameplay finally resembles old school Survival horror
- Solid team-management mechanics, which also add a new layer to environment puzzles
- Creature designs are decent
- High replay value thanks to several extra modes for the main campaign and Raid mode.
- Cheesy one-liners and references to Resident Evil 1's Barry moments

CONS
- Animations could have used more polishing.
- Lots of pixel clipping.
- The annoying mouse shaking QTE is back!
- Short campaign

Last edited:

Denzil22

Premium
I really enjoyed the game to I will do a more complete review later but for now it turned out a great game and much more like capcoms earlier residet evil even if there not there yet mayby this is a sign that are going in the right direction

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Okay i have played the game and ready to write a review :)
I will talk about various aspects as a whole and the story in the episodes as separate.

1. GAME LENGTH
as a whole the game is fairly decent in terms of length. The 3rd and 4th episodes being the longest (barrys EP4 at least)
According to re.net my total play time is 19:50
Not sure if this includes raid (which I have spent 2 hours max on so far) and this hasn't Included my playthrough of the struggle yet.
That's pretty good for length.

2. CONTROLS
The controls are fairly easy, and simple to get the hang of.
Its a mix between the simple revelations controls and the re6 spaghetti controls.
It works really well. The dodge mechanic works well which is a nice surprise since I thought it was very well done in the first one. The inventory is fairly simple and easy to control. The menus are quick to navigate although are a bit confusing.
You need to unlock costumes or guns for the campaign in an extras menu but you need to equip them in the campaign option under a separate options menu.
In raid mode the character selection menu is slow as it tries to load a character model everytime you scroll over a character.

3. GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
Puzzles have made an appearance in this game again :D
Each chapter has some sort of puzzle element (chapter 3 having the most)
Some puzzles are optional and can be missed out. Some are easy and require finding an item to use once but some actually require a bit of brain work too.
Theres a mixture between moving puzzles, button press puzzles and combination puzzles.
I've already explained the dodge mechanic but it's easy to perform but you can still be hit so it does take some skill to use still.
You can craft items (7 to be exact)
This idea is good in planning but the game throws alot of useless items that clog your inventory space.
Alot of the items you craft are sub weapon combustible bottles, but there is a limited amount of empty bottles you find in comparison to the items you put into them.
So you end up walking around with craftable items with no way to use any of them.
The bleed mechanic and blind mechanic only really happen when specific enemies hit you, depending on how well you dodge enemies determine how often you will find a need for these items to counter them.
When either do happen you will be forced to open the inventory yourself to cure the affliction but since the game is in real time, the effects will probably wear off before you find a safe area to do this.
A way around this which is very good to use is give all the healing items (apart from herbs) to the Ai and they will use them almost instantly on you.
The weapons management Is like revelations 1, except the workbenches are alot rarer to find. This isn't really a problem until you accumulate a few parts boxes and have to carry them everywhere with you unless you backtrack (sometimes quite a way to find a bench to store them)
When you discard an item instead of it disappearing into space like most games do,this game does what a zero does and the items gets placed on the floor ready to be picked up again. This is useful and helps with i century management, although the odds are you will probably drop craftable items which you will never use anyway (cloth) but for item hoarders like myself, this is useful and does not feel wasteful at all.

4. AI
The Ai for the most part are okay, I didn't really have any issues with them throughout the game until chapter 4.
Theres two commands you can give them (wait and go)
If you have the partner on "go" they will try and be close to you at all times.
The partner (if moira) will usually try and shine the torch at enemy's eye sights automatically but i had moments where she wouldn't do anything except just stand around waiting for a bus. There was two moments where this got her killed (downed)
This didn't really bother me that much though.
When the Ai is separated from yourself though they automatically go on the "wait" command style and will not move at all so you have to control both characters. This is purely for gameplay bug is a bit silly. If the Ai go down when separated it's game over.
The biggest issue I had with the Ai is on barrys chapter 4, there's a section involving navigating poisonous gas and the whole section it seems the Ai move to specific points only, and complete ignore wait/go commands.
This was pretty annoying as you move one character somewhere and the other one just starts running off (in some cases somewhere completely random)
This was the only section where I had disobedient Ai problems.
Theres also parts where Natalia must direct your aim at invisible enemies but sometimes she gives instructions incorrectly and i had to move behind her to see clearer

5. CHARACTERS AND ENEMIES
Claire has changed alot, we all miss her voice actress and i wasnt sold on her at first. But at the end of episode 3 she pulled off an amazing few scenes which made her sound really believable and i really liked her character and voice actress afterwards.
Moria I actually found unlikeable for alot of it until the scenes where she stopped the swearing and actually formulated a perfect sentence. However as with Claire there's a scene towards the end of the game where I ignored these facts as they fit her character perfectly
barrys good ending section

Barry, who the hell doesn't like barry, he's cool, nostalgic and rocks a beard. His character has alot of depth compared to re1 and he pulls it off well.

Natalia actually wasn't an annoying kid in the game (minus the constant MONSTWEEEERRR) speech. Her character has a bit of mystery surrounding her and does keep you interested to find out what it's all about.

The Overseer
Not sure how much detail I can go into the Overseer, she is an evil person with cruel intentions but her character isn't really deeply analysed. Only by reading files you get some depth if at all.

Evgeny
This guy is part of the struggle dlc, he is an angry disoriented old man who is strangely likeable in a dislikable way, or the opposite.

Afflicted:
Beings mutated through a virus and torture methods, these are like the majini or ganado enemies from re4/re5 but alot faster. Theres different variants and some seem more agressive than others

Rotten
Traditional type zombie enemies, easy to deal with but it's nice to see them back, even as a comparison to show people why zombie enemies are less interesting and why they need to change in later games.

Revenant:
These enemies are awesome, they are creepy and the method of creation add more details to the uroborus virus in re5.
They are really deadly, the only method of killing them is by finding the core which is hidden unless revealed or by Natalias help.
Although can be killed stealthily, which make them less of a threat since doing so this way ignores where the core is in the body completely.

Uroborus creatures:
Good to see more variants but it would have been nice to see some.of the re5 creatures since they were supposed to be the most common mutations.

Glasps:
Alot of praise for these creatures, they blur your screen when they are close and are completely invisible. The more my screen blurred the more panic I had.

6. SPLIT SCREEN
I played episodes one and two with split screen with a friend. He isn't much of a fan of rezzy games but he even said he enjoyed it. However I purposely let him play as barry on barrys section because I knew being Natalia would be a turn off for him, and honestly pointing at items and having no method of attack apart from Ill places bricks wasn't very thrilling. I let him play as moria because I know he could attack at least a bit.
The first episode was okay but the second episode was more co op oriented. I feel like the last two chapters and the struggle would be alpt of fun to play on co op though.

7: story: I will write this up after I finish the last dic.

TJay

Premium
I will do a more complete review, once I've done a second play through. But my initial impression now that I've played through each story chapter & done a few Raid Mode missions is that this game is absolutely fantastic.

For me, it's right up there with the classic RE games. Obviously, it's quite a bit different because times have changed but I feel like if RE2/RE3 were made today, this is probably what they'd have been like. So comparing it in that respect, I feel like this is just as good.

The game has tons of replay value & a huge part of this is the very well made Raid Mode. I don't really bother with the extra modes on games often, usually a few runs & I'm satisfied. But I'm looking forward to actually spending some time on Rev 2's Raid Mode. This could have been a game all on it's own & hugely adds to the monetary value.

I enjoyed the episodes being released weekly & I played in little parts each day to make it last longer. This suited how I like to play RE games (for replays anyway) & it actually made me think about the story & characters a bit more than if I'd just rushed my way through the game in one sitting. It was the first game I've had that was released this way & I really enjoyed it.

I only have a couple of niggles with the game. The first is the graphics, I'm not the type of gamer who only likes super stunning graphics - I feel like story & game play are way more important. But I do feel like they could have been better in this game. The other is the way Natalia's weapons are handled. I really enjoy attacking with & throwing the bricks. But she seems to lose them often going from one area to the next & can't seem to store any. Would have been nice if she could throw something else too... (aside from sub-weapons).

Overall a strong 8.5/10 on my "first impression".

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I have the PC version and while it isn't properly optimized it's still pretty good

But my opinion on the game says it all for me

Good. but nothing special.

I'll give Raid props. It's better than the campaign for me.

e_etu

Soram ~
yesterday i finally got Revelations 2 :D I love it so much but there´s a lot bugs and glitches but idc its still good game so i will give it to 8/10.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
So I've played the campaign fully now, and I'm ready to finally give my review. I'm going to be speaking in quite general terms so I don't spoil too much.

It was great to see the return of Claire and Barry, and I think that Moira and Natalia were great additions too. I'm glad that we had two more vulnerable characters in Moira and Natalia, and yet they had their unique uses. The Overseer was quite a creepy woman too, especially when she was talking to Natalia. I do think that they didn't fully realise the potential of the Overseer, though.

The story was compelling, I was very intrigued to find out what happened at the end as there were still a few mysteries to solve. And the final cutscene - wow!

The DLC campaigns were good in terms of story. I did quite enjoy playing The Struggle, but Little Miss did get a little boring.

The controls weren't awkward at all. Little things like the inventory menu making it so that you didn't accidentally use an item straight away made it so smooth.

The enemies in this game were interesting too. I particularly enjoyed the addition of the Revenants. I did find a lot of the bosses quite easy though, particularly the final boss (I was playing Normal difficulty).

I think the game was of decent length, especially if you explore properly. I wanted it to be longer, but that's probably because I was enjoying the game so much.

There is also plenty of additional content to make this game more than worth the money. There's the aforementioned DLC campaigns, Raid Mode of course, and there's also two additional modes (Countdown and Invisible) to complete as well. Great value for money.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with this game. It's like it's taken some pointers from The Evil Within and The Last of Us, and used them to enhance the experience of the game, but it doesn't feel like a copy of these games at all. Personally, it's one of, if not my outright favourite Resident Evil game, and I'll be busy with it for a long time to come.

Overall Ranking: 9.5/10

Last edited:

agentcell

Here you can post your reviews and overall impressions of Revelations 2. I’ll start, and to put it bluntly, I absolutely love the game! It’s not perfect, but competes well with the classics in terms of gameplay and scariness, while also adding some of the better elements from the new games such as the controls and unlockable skills. Unfortunately I can’t say the same about the PC port. This review will summarise my impressions of the campaign only, because I think Raid Mode is like a different game within the game and should be treated as such. But people who have been active here lately should already know how much I enjoy it.

Story & Characters

I can’t talk too much about this, obviously, because some people here haven’t played the game yet and don’t want to be spoiled, so I’ll keep it short: Claire and Barry return, the Overseer is an intriguing villain with a goal that is different from anything we’ve seen in this series so far, and for the first time in the history of RE games you can play as almost all recurring main characters in Raid Mode. As for the story, it is divided into four main and two bonus episodes, each ending on a cliffhanger, and while some of the twists and revelations are rather predictable, and the game doesn’t really answer all the questions it brings up, it’s still one of the better stories. I should also mention that certain things you do in Claire’s part will affect Barry’s. Overall I enjoyed the former more than the latter, because Barry comes across many places that Claire has already explored, and it gets a little boring especially in the second episode. His fourth episode also seems to drag on forever and has a very annoying section involving poisonous gas. But I still find it a lot more enjoyable than anything Revelations 1 had to offer. I was only really disappointed with the bonus episodes, especially Natalia’s which is about sneaking past enemies, and even being spotted by them causes an instant game over. That was no fun at all, I was glad when it was over and I could collect the BP, but at least it added a little to the story.

Puzzles & Co-op

First things first: The puzzles return. Yay! While none of them will fry your brain, some definitely require you to stop and think and backtrack a little instead of just running through the locations like you’re used to after RE5 and 6. Especially noteworthy is the third episode, where in Claire’s part the puzzles are combined with deadly traps, and in Barry’s part you have to switch back and forth between him and Natalia all the time because they’re separated for a while. That being said, I can assure you that Moira and Natalia are not just living Genesis scanners. Pointing out hidden objects is actually the least important thing they do, as their special abilities are often needed to solve the aforementioned puzzles and provide assistance in combat. Unlike Ashley and young Sherry, they’re not completely defenceless either; Moira can temporarily blind enemies with her flashlight and pummel them with her crowbar, whereas Natalia can throw bricks that are not the most powerful weapon, but enough to kill weaker enemies and expose the weak spots of Revenants. Both characters will also use their abilities autonomously, with Natalia’s ability to sense the presence of monsters being crucial to your success in fights against the invisible Glasps. The only downside of this system is that the AI can be really stupid sometimes, and what annoys me most is their tendency not to keep up. Imagine you run ahead as Moira to search a new area for hidden items and an enemy that is too strong for her crowbar shows up, so you switch to Claire just to discover she’s still three rooms behind. But other than that it’s an interesting team play that differs from the usual co-op experience in RE, where either both characters are the same or one is completely helpless. Not this time!

Inventory & Healing system

The health and healing system works similar to that Revelations 1. Whereas Raid Mode gives you a health bar, in the campaign you have to rely on the bloodiness of the screen to determine how much your character is currently suffering. Use green herbs to heal, with one being enough to restore your health completely. Similar to RE6, combining a green and a red herb gives you three green herbs, and your two characters can easily heal each other by using one while the partner is nearby. Moira and Natalia have regenerating health, though, and can be revived if they die, so don’t bother wasting herbs on them. Getting hurt can put you in a bleeding state, which means that bloodstains will obscure your vision for a while, and some enemies can cover you in slime that makes you practically blind. I understand that this is supposed to make the game more realistic and enemy encounters more terrifying, but in the end it’s just incredibly annoying. The fact that the game adds new health-related items to deal with those impairments, such as tourniquets to stop the bleeding and disinfectants to wipe slime from your face, doesn’t really help it because with how the inventory is set up, it will probably take you just as long to get to and use those items as it takes for the bleeding and slime effects to wear off naturally. And the inventory happens in real-time!

Speaking of tourniquets and disinfectants, you will rarely happen upon those items in the game. That’s because one of my favourite features from RE3 has returned, the ability to create your own items, not just by combining herbs in the inventory, but other things as well. Instead of finding exploding or firebomb bottles ready for use in the game, you collect several ingredients such as empty bottles, pieces of cloth and alcohol, and different combinations of those ingredients will result in different weapons and healing items. Combine wisely, as different weapons have different effects on monsters; for example, Revenants can be easily defeated with a firebomb bottle that burns them long enough to expose their weak spot and destroy it, whereas the smoke from a smokescreen bottle, besides being useful for stealth attacks, counteracts the effects of Glasp gas and makes them visible. Have fun figuring out what works best for you!

Scariness

Something that old-school fans keep brining up is that RE isn’t scary anymore. Well, I don’t think it was ever really scary in the first place. Games like Silent Hill are scary, whereas RE relies more on gore and jump scares, but I’d say that if you thought the classics were scary, you will say the same about Revelations 2. The campaign doesn’t have any mindless action. There is one intense scene where you have to fight off a rather large group of Afflicted, eventually culminating in a boss fight, but these sequences are few and far between, and always make sense in context. Raid Mode is all about action, but the campaign won’t disappoint you with its tense atmosphere.

Unlockables

Skills, secret files, difficulty settings, outfits, concept art, figurines, screen filters – it’s all there. The best thing is probably that you don’t have to pay for most of it, at least not with real money; except for the bonus episodes and a few Raid Mode skins, additional content is usually unlocked by meeting certain conditions in the game itself and can be bought with BP, which is earned by playing through the campaign and collecting treasures. Since many of those things are rather expensive, they give you an incentive to replay the game a few times. Doing so also unlocks content (mostly characters) in Raid Mode.

PC port

I have to be blunt again: The PC port is trash. Terrible lag and stutter whenever there are effects going on (especially fire and fog), Raid Mode crashes, infinite loading times and out of sync cutscenes are among the biggest issues. Capcom have released a few patches to take care of little things like the mouse cursor on the screen during cutscenes, and I realise that bigger issues probably take more time to fix, but it’s been a whole month, and all of this could have been avoided if the game had been properly tested on a PC before they released it. If I were to judge the game solely based on its performance, I would give it a 1/10. But I just learned that a new patch has been released to day, I’ll check it out soon.

Closing words

Despite the bad port and a few nit-picky negatives I have pointed out, I absolutely love the game. You know me, I’m not a Capcom fangoddess, but this time I really have to praise them for listening to their fans, taking their requests seriously and basically giving them everything they’ve been asking for for years: The return of Claire and Barry, the inclusion of puzzles and scariness, many references to past games, a Raid Mode that is even better than the last one and lets you play as many recurring main characters. So I have no qualms about saying that I consider Revelations 2 one of the best RE games to date.

You pretty much summed up why I like it.

Top Bottom