• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

...Capcom supports S.O.P.A.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Title says it all. :/
Where is the source? I want to read what Capcom said.

How would they govern this, anyway? Will there be groups of people dedicated to trawling the net and highlighting sites that need shutting down or is it automated or what?
It was said on BBC World today that a copyright owner could demand a site blocked without trying the case at court. That is horrible, but rule without law is the most effective way...

EDIT:

So, I know what sopa is, but i've only just heard of pipa...

surely if sites are '.co.uk' then this bill has no say over those sites?
PIPA = PROTECT IP Act
Which in turn is an acronym for "Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act".

Quoting Wikipedia:

is a proposed law with the stated goal of giving the US government and copyright holders additional tools to curb access to "rogue websites dedicated to infringing or counterfeit goods", especially those registered outside the U.S.
(Yes you can access blacked-out Wikipedia. If you must, bypass the block by disabling JS)

Silverback

Moving Mountains
It was said on BBC World today that a copyright owner could demand a site blocked without trying the case at court. That is horrible, but rule without law is the most effective way...

Rule without law...

That reminds me. I believe Obama signed a bill that allows him to throw anyone he pleases into prison indefinatley without a charge or trial: http://redantliberationarmy.wordpre...llows-for-indefinite-detention-without-trial/

Just in case you hadn't heard about it. My apologies for going off-topic.

APV

Wait, Who stole me Haggis?
This may sound stupid but this Bill WILL cripple the internet as has been specified by the opposition. The other problem is that it may affect Small Businesses as well World Wide. I mean no disrespect to the American people but trust the American government to inflict more problems on an already Strained Economy.

Another Moan from me LOL!

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Rule without law...

That reminds me. I believe Obama signed a bill that allows him to throw anyone he pleases into prison indefinatley without a charge or trial: http://redantliberationarmy.wordpre...llows-for-indefinite-detention-without-trial/

Just in case you hadn't heard about it. My apologies for going off topic.
I know about that bill, it is even more horrible than SOPA and PIPA. But we will continue on topic....

I hope the OP will post a link to the Capcom source so I can read their statement and determine exactly how mad I will be with Capcom.
If it's bad enough, I might want to pirate their next game!

I wonder if The Pirate Bay supports SOPA and PIPA? :D Probably not, so I wonder if they will black out their website in protest like Wikipedia did! :p

Hoady

You know they tried to do this in Australia a few years back but luckily it failed.

I heard about the 'obama internet kill switch' but i wasn't sure if it was legit.Second if he did do that there would be extreme uproar.Turning off the internet is like transitioning to a new dark age.That combined with the NDAA just talked about..well that is just bad news.

There is an article i read about a week ago of some average guys sending there own satelite into space that could bypass the laws if it ever went into account.Unfortunately it could be slow but would work.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Read: Nintendo, Sony and EA Drop Support for SOPA

I heard about the 'obama internet kill switch' but i wasn't sure if it was legit.Second if he did do that there would be extreme uproar.Turning off the internet is like transitioning to a new dark age.

There is an article i read about a week ago of some average guys sending there own satelite into space that could bypass the laws if it ever went into account.Unfortunately it could be slow but would work.
Maybe they can technically switch off the Internet but it's not going to happen. And if they (America) did it, the rest of the world would make a new web that was not dependent on the US.

That private satellite is not in orbit yet? Is it real? Sounds exciting. :D

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I swear...there are REAL issues out there and the government is working about the f--king INTERNET! Really guys, that's low...I mean, we have AIDS, hunger, and tyrant dictators to worry about...Stop f--king with our free imformation sourche, just because you assholes want power! Zeig Heil to the president gasman!

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
I'm not surprised the powers that be are trying this, after all, we've seen one or two countries fall due to the internet. So, this will be the first notch on the cooker for the frog in the pot.

So have they got some kinda online self aware governing programme to over look these copy right issues ? whats it called,

Skynet ?

Hoady

Maybe they can technically switch off the Internet but it's not going to happen. And if they (America) did it, the rest of the world would make a new web that was not dependent on the US.

Do you know if the US us the main supplier of internet outsource?When i heard of this kill switch i assumed it would just be America because yeah..people and other nations wouldn't take that lightly lol

That private satellite is not in orbit yet? Is it real? Sounds exciting. :D

http://thehackernews.com/2012/01/hackers-launching-own-satellites-in.html

It hasn't been sent yet but thats the article, plus a long video too of the dudes talking.

Oh and the megaupload got taken down..7 dudes are already in court.What do you guys think about Anonymous supposedly hacking all those websites?They took down fbi,whitehouse etc.Lot of people are calling bollocks and government using it as a so called 'false flag'(which is not new) to justify further reasoning for copyright act(Which obviously proves they ain't in it for copyright!!).

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-barrettbrown-sopa-megaupload-241/

!

Silverback

Moving Mountains
^ I, myself suspect that Anonymous secretly work for Government. I mean it seems too convenient for this large group of people to suddenly come from the blue and threaten the Government. Since when has anybody threatened any Government except for, well, other Governments?

You couldn't have a more perfect reason to bring in this internet censorship... Reeks of a false-flag op.

Think about it.

Hoady

Well Anonymous isn't your general group.Too my knowledge thus far there is no heirachy, leaders or anything.Its just an idea.Thats why i don't believe there is any control or mechanism on the group.They have done amazing things in support of OWS, first Syrian protests, stealing and releasing government/corparation documentation and exposing it to the public.If you arrest an anonymous member..they really most likely won't know anything other then a few people in the group.

Edit:The only reason the government is currently under threat is freedom of information and expression so its only reasonable anonymous exists.I do see your point, and it is good to be mighty cautious of any person or group who wants to establish themselves as an authority.but i just don't see any good reason for any fat cat dude to invent the idea of anonymous, especially the chance of them roaming around 4 chan.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
http://thehackernews.com/2012/01/hackers-launching-own-satellites-in.html

It hasn't been sent yet but thats the article, plus a long video too of the dudes talking.

The article says experts are not very optimistic:

Can a space-based Internet be done? Sure, it’s already been done. Will hackers be able do it? Questionable. Will it stop censorship? Hardly. Commercial satellite Internet has been available for a number of years, but it is slow, capacity limited, and the trip to and from space adds a noticeable delay that can disrupt some applications. There are sound reasons why long-distance telephone, television and Internet long ago moved from satellites to terrestrial microwave and then fiber optic.

Meyer reports that while some hobbyists have managed to successfully place small satellites into orbit for short periods of time, but that tracking them have proved difficult due to budget constraints.
Experts say the satellite project is feasible, but could be restricted by technical limitations."Low earth orbit satellites such as have been launched by amateurs so far, do not stay in a single place but rather orbit, typically every 90 minutes," said Prof Alan Woodward from the computing department at the University of Surrey.
Satellite Internet doesn't seem like a good alternative due to technical and budget limitations.
Maybe we should instead build a Mega-LAN? Each household buys a cable and connect them, building a new web of computers. No need for ISP's and government control. But it would be difficult to connect over long distances with cables, and radio signals are regulated.

Oh and the megaupload got taken down..7 dudes are already in court.What do you guys think about Anonymous supposedly hacking all those websites?They took down fbi,whitehouse etc.Lot of people are calling bollocks and government using it as a so called 'false flag'(which is not new) to justify further reasoning for copyright act(Which obviously proves they ain't in it for copyright!!).

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-barrettbrown-sopa-megaupload-241/
Ha ha, cool. I have not used Mega Upload and I don't know much about it. I don't care what they are, if they operate in the gray zone or not, I don't like how government acts. I do not use pirated stuff myself, I have no need for it. So why have I ended up morally supporting piracy? It is thanks to turd organizations like RIAA and MPAA, some other evil corporations, and politicians.

Hoady

Well that was kind of stupid of me, clearly i need to pay better attention to my sources lol.But at least it is possible.

Regarding MegaLAN would you be able to connect to the main 'internet database' we currently use now or would it create its own little localized internet(if that makes sense)?I mention that because as you said Radio Signals would be regulated and i don't see how it would make a difference(Unless lan privatises you or something).Cables would be difficult because you can't exactly run them underground without investing a tonne of money.

Fair enough.Well it is a very popular website with tonnes of registered paying members, doubt it was all pirated.Well its good hear its been delayed..no doubt they will try again but that attack is a massive win in the general publics eye i think and when they pull it again with whatever ridiculous excuses they have..sure there will be only more millions of people on board.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Well that was kind of stupid of me, clearly i need to pay better attention to my sources lol.But at least it is possible.

Regarding MegaLAN would you be able to connect to the main 'internet database' we currently use now or would it create its own little localized internet(if that makes sense)?I mention that because as you said Radio Signals would be regulated and i don't see how it would make a difference(Unless lan privatises you or something).Cables would be difficult because you can't exactly run them underground without investing a tonne of money.
The Mega-LAN would be a new web not directly connected to the big Internet. But someone on the Mega-LAN could be connected to the Internet as well.

I have not thought this through, it was just an idea I got yesterday.

Top Bottom