• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Chris and Leon... again?!

Levan

Polkka. lol
Well, based off the title, yes, this is a rant thread.

Okay, as much as how amazing the new trailer looked for RE6, and that Chris and Leon would feature as both the heroes in this game along with a new character, I'm really disappointed in a way that they've reused the two characters for for the latest game in the franchise. I mean, Chris was there for RE1, RE:CV, RER and even the more recent (in accordance to game timeline) RE5. Leon was in RE2 and RE4, and also got an additional role for DC with the Operation Javier.

But the big question is, what happened to the others? We haven't heard from Claire since Code Veronica. Rebecca hasn't been heard... AT ALL, since, I think, RE3? Barry. Well, damn. He's missing. Carlos, though apparently not really a major character, missing too. Probably even Billy. Jill is a good candidate to be in the game as well, since the only recent appearance she had is in RER, but they didn't even hint anything at all for her appearance. HUNK also, though not exactly heroic in terms, but at least would make an appearance, story wise.

But anyway, Chris and Leon already had the spotlight too many times. Wouldn't it have been great to have other characters to reprise the roles of the hero/heroine, along with a new character that can be introduced?

I'm not hating on Chris and Leon at all. It's just that... the developers aren't thinking out of the sake of the storyline - they only want to place familiar characters to keep recycling character models and appeal to those who've only been exposed to RE for RE4 and RE5, respectively.

But I guess I can't really do anything about their character selection. I'm just crossing my fingers real hard that many characters would at least make an appearance so we can at least find out what they've been doing these past years.

End of rant. =/

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
I agree as well. Its like Capcom are fixated on the 'big action' like charecters then any of the others.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I agree with Chris being overused lately.

He has had 3 consecutive games now which is RE5,RE Revelations,and now RE6.

He even got to appear in Marvel vs Capcom 3.

But I disagree with your opinion on Leon.

Sure he has had 1 movie and has another one on the way but that doesn't change the fact that he has not had a canon Resident Evil game since RE4 which came out back in 2004.

He is long overdue for a staring role in the main series in my honest opinion.

And please don't try to bring up Darkside Chronicles and Operation Racoon City.

Those games are "side stories".

I'm pretty sure alot of those characters will at least be mentioned. you gotta keep in mind this game has been worked on for quite awhile...

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Oh Chris... Haters gonna hate.
tumblr_lydwc859s71qdydpi.gif

*Don't pay d'em any attention*

Levan

Polkka. lol

Sure he has had 1 movie and has another one on the way but that doesn't change the fact that he has not had a canon Resident Evil game since RE4 which came out back in 2004.

I didn't bring up Operation Raccoon City because the story's whack as it is to be canonical at all. D:

Darkside Chronicles, specifically Operation Javier from what I've heard is canonical. And I'm really a story enthusiast so I wouldn't really care much at all if this was a side story, because it's still within the story.

All I'm saying is, in the story timeline, these two had the most recent appearances in the major franchise (RE4 and RE5). Over the many years since the Raccoon City Incident we were able to hear from them and find out about their status, but never for Claire(well, somewhat. Appeared in CV and Degeneration), Rebecca, Billy/Carlos/Barry, etc.

And all of them got lead roles in previous games as well. Even if Leon did appear last 2004, Claire's most recent appearance in the games (again, story wise) was CV, and as for the "movie", Degeneration, Rebecca hasn't appeared/been heard off since RE3, and Billy... well... if he was a useless character, they would've killed him off in RE0. But him being alive basically gives him a chance to grab the spotlight in a future game. Same goes with Barry and Carlos, and probably a whole lot of other characters.

The fact that I want to imply is, they appeared in the two recent games for the franchise (talking only about RE0-5 here).

And even if I was asked to say if Leon had the spotlight for many times, I would, even for the other non-canonical stories like Operation Raccoon City. He even appeared in an ancient GB game, lol, but anyway, I don't hate Leon at all. What I hate is that the developers are most likely sticking with Chris and Leon because they are the most notable characters in the franchise, and that's it. If they would be side characters, or playable somewhat (storywise again, not in Mercenaries if that feature would also be in RE6) then that would be great. But really, they could probably add a lot more plot twists or advances with other characters taking the lead roles instead.

@b_star

No hating on Chris here. He's actually my second favorite character. lol. But damn, he's the hero in, like, every single recent canonical game. He's being overused.

Hoady

I was never the biggest fan of Chris, i like him but compared to the other characters there are better options.Though he definitely one of the most skilled people in his field and is expected to be around during you know, big events.I hope he just feels alot different then Resident Evil 5, it does feel very soon.But it doesn't bother me that he is in Revelations because i only consider the canon games as anything relevant to my personal opinion.

I would rather Claire as the spotlight...and I doubt Billy will get another turn again because he is probably just on the run.He just doesn't feel like he would last as main character to me.As for Leon he is my favorite.He had a huge impact on me with Resident Evil 4 and its been quite a long time since that game was released.As well he did Degeneration and will appear in Operation Raccoon city but as i said ,if its generally non canon it does not bother me.I was pretty happy to see Leon buffed up in HD.Carlos..well its been a long time and i don't see hope of return.

Hunk..he was never a mainy imo, just a dude on the sidelines.Maybe incorpating like a mini campaign would be cool.And people are skepticising that new guy is Hunk so we will see.Jill..i feel the same with her as Chris.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

They aren't side stories actually...They are cannon...They show Leon's mission with Krauser, explaining how they know each other in RE4...and The end of Umbrella in Umbrella Crhonicles...They are cannon...

Grim

Agreed.

I was actually hoping that the main character in RE6 would be Rebecca, Barry, or Claire.

Chris and Leon are great characters, but they're getting used way too much.

AgentHUNK

Mr. Death
Well I think RE5 was a big missed opportunity.

If it was to be Wesker's last Chris and Rebecca should have been the 2 PCs with Sheva as their NPC guide who only shows up when she is needed, Barry should have taken Josh's place, and Billy could have made an appearance.

Billy was condemned to death after a mission in Africa in which an entire village was slaughtered, and it could have easily been Sheva's village. The mission could have been to wipe out evidence of the US's involvement with Umbrella there and Billy was an easy scapegoat. He could have been the BSAA's contact ala Reynard, and sufferd the same fate; Or he could have been given a new role.

Jill's involvment could go unchanged, and with her and Barry in DE it would have replicated the pairings of RE1 and had that feeling of having come full circle.

Since it began with members of S.T.A.R.S. it should have ended with the surviving members. Wesker orchestrated the demise of their friends and colleagues, and even blackmailed Barry to assist him doing it. These are the characters who should have been his downfall.

Top Bottom