• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Enemy Designs

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think it is time for me to start a discussion about my favorite thing about Resident Evil in general - the enemy designs. And I have to say that despite reducing the amount of enemy types in the game, RE3R has improved nearly every enemy they did include in the series in both design and game play.

Zombies - The RE3 zombies (especially on Nightmare are Inferno) are a big deal. They are faster and more aggressive than in past games. RE2R had better zombies in my opinion - they were a lot harder to kill and invariably more difficult to manage. But the RE3R zombies are quicker to get up and quicker to take you down. For instance, one zombie during the Jill Brad run in the beginning on the game on Nightmare mode grabbed Jill and immediately killed her. Nightmare indeed.

Cerberus - Not relevant. There are only like 4 or so in the game. Nice to see them included, but they're not really a talking point unless we discuss places they could have added them in.

Hunter Gamma - My BABY. These monsters are so creepy and create such overwhelming fear - they are a treasure. I hate that they are basically relegated to the sewer section only aside from 1 or 2 surprise appearances, but man, they did a great job on the design. I am kind of over 1 hit kill enemies, but I love everything about their design. The gulp worm mouth. The stupid chicken wings. The pale dead skin. 100% better than the original.

Hunter Beta - Great designs updates to a classic. The Predator mouths are kind of awesome if not terribly original. They also fall in to simply being hospital enemies due to lack of creative enemy placement in the game, but that is typical for Resident Evil I suppose. But they are terrifying. And the fact that if you try to run away from them and they attack - you instantly die is kind of awesome. Be brave for these bastards.

Drain Deimos - I am glad that they didn't add both Drain Deimos AND Brain Suckers in this game. There was no need for both in the original RE3. However, the updates are both good and bad. In the original RE3, their more humanistic qualities made them even creepier and made them much more reminiscent of the classic Chimera. But the updates REmake Drain Deimos are disgusting and although once again relegated to one type of area, man, are they disgusting. The forceful larval feeding will forever haunt my dreams. And the feelings of being overwhelmed by these monsters in such tight quarters is a great addition. It really works for the environment.

Parasite Zombies - I love that Capcom added at least one new enemy type to the game. And these zombies are super creepy even if they're not that threatening. But man, it is strange how quick their tentacle attacks are. Like, they literally have no warning when they whip at you. They are gross too. I have never seen one kill Jill, but I am sure it is a disgusting site to behold with their giant sucker mouths.

Licker - So glad they included them in the game. Is this the first game with Lickers AND Hunters? I can't remember another time when this happened unless we include the Outbreak and Chronicle games. Lickers are Lickers - but they were the scariest part of RE2R, so why not include them when you already have them made? Perfect.

I think RE3R did a lot of justice to the original enemy designs and made worthwhile updates to them. We could discuss Nemesis too, but I think I'll save that for another post. haha

REX

The other Leon
I have beaten the original RE3 more than once but I couldnt recall the gamma hunters and the drain deimos were in the original as well. It was a lomg time ago though, so yeah. I thought these are new enemy types.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I really like all of the monster designs as well, but I have to say that they did a phenomenal job with the later stages of Nemesis in this game. It's honestly the only thing from the original game that I feel was improved on for the better. Nemesis was awesome in his first stage form in the original, but I was never a fan of his final boss forms... RE3R gives us a final stage form for Nemesis that is not only better explained, but also looks freaking awesome!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
So true - I miss the original Nemesis Middle Form - AKA Topless Tentacle Man - but at least the final form is so much more satisfying in RE3R. I actually really like that you can't see his face in the very beginning too. Trashbag Nemesis has a real air of creepiness to him.

Top Bottom