• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) How would you rate REmake 2?

Resident Evil 2 Remake is...

• Total voters

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
"Blindly praising the original." In what way? When have I stated that the original RE2 was flawless? Please, quote me. Or are we just creating false narratives to stir sh*t? Because if I recall, this is a thread where we critique this game, not the original. I didn't just play the original RE2, I played this one and I gave my thoughts. Want to critique the original RE2? Make a thread.
Jesus. I never stated that you said that. How on Earth does this sentence "Isn't the original Resident Evil 2 from 1998 vastly overpraised as well though?" sound like its aimed at a specific person? I think the sentence makes it perfectly clear that I was suggesting the general perception, and not you personally.

Yes, this is a thread where we critique the remake, but since its a remake of RE2 we have to be able to make comparisons of the critique. You said yourself that we should expect comparisons being made, or are you going to contradict your own previous statement? Or is it only OK to point out flaws when its in favor of the original?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Jesus. I never stated that you said that. How on Earth does this sentence "Isn't the original Resident Evil 2 from 1998 vastly overpraised as well though?" sound like its aimed at a specific person? I think the sentence makes it perfectly clear that I was suggesting the general perception, and not you personally.

Yes, this is a thread where we critique the remake, but since its a remake of RE2 we have to be able to make comparisons of the critique. You said yourself that we should expect comparisons being made, or are you going to contradict your own previous statement? Or is it only OK to point out flaws when its in favor of the original?

I think the last 2 pages make it perfectly clear my comment wasn't aimed at you. Especially when the words themselves were written in bold.

Now this sounds like you're just trying to stir sh*t. You say your comment wasn't aimed at me, now you're trying to insinuate that I'm some how not okay with people pointing out flaws of the original. I shouldn't have to explain myself, but just to clarify, I shouldn't have to worry about being called a fanboy of the original for "blindly praising" it, just because I'm not criticizing the original game in a thread where the main focus is critiquing the remake. I already stated, I didn't just play the original game. I remember its strengths, but I couldn't go in depth with its flaws without having played the game again.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I think the last 2 pages make it perfectly clear my comment wasn't aimed at you. Especially when the words themselves were written in bold.

Now this sounds like you're just trying to stir sh*t. You say your comment wasn't aimed at me, now you're trying to insinuate that I'm some how not okay with people pointing out flaws of the original. I shouldn't have to explain myself, but just to clarify, I shouldn't have to worry about being called a fanboy of the original for "blindly praising" it, just because I'm not criticizing the original game in a thread where the main focus is critiquing the remake. I already stated, I didn't just play the original game. I remember its strengths, but I couldn't go in depth with its flaws without having played the game again.
No, I was unaware, I misread your comment before finishing reading Magnolia's. My apologies, now I clearly see that your comment wasn't aimed at me.

Nevertheless, I think it's justified to critique both the original and the remake in the same thread, since they are being compared to each other.

Turo602

The King of Kings
No, I was unaware, I misread your comment before finishing reading Magnolia's. My apologies, now I clearly see that your comment wasn't aimed at me.

Nevertheless, I think it's justified to critique both the original and the remake in the same thread, since they are being compared to each other.

Just a misunderstanding. No worries.

I didn't say we couldn't. I agree.

lakbk

After playing this game for 5 weeks or so now. I'm really enjoying it and the game is quite fantastic. Great fun with lots of replay.

My first run with Claire A was in Assist mode. forgot but I think got a C or a D with 16 hours 20 minutes with 90 saved. lol
Then first run with Leon A also in Assist mode. I think a C with 10 hours 09 minutes with 67 saved. lol

Later after watching the experts, lots of YouTube, I was able to beat Standard, about 7 or 8 hours with a B. lol
Recently, in the past week, I was able to finally beat Claire A Standard with S rank, 3 hours 23 minutes. Yay!

Then today with Leon A Standard with S rank, 3 hours 15 minutes. Yay!
But for the life of me, last week I cannot beat Hardcore Claire A run with a S rank, was only able to beat it about 5+ hours and got an B rank only.

This week, I was able to do a little better, Hardcore Claire A run about 3 hours and 20 minutes , but even with that, was only able to get to the final boss and kept dying. ugh! If I was even able to finish it, it would be 1 hour over the S rank requirement. So I gave up, not enough ammo.

Well, I need to keep watching the experts on YouTube and keep trying. :)

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@lakbk Be careful watching the experts on YouTube; they can really mess you up depending on what platform they're using vs what platform you're using. High frame rates give PC users an edge over traditional console users so I'd suggest watching an S Rank playthrough of someone using the same platform you are. You'll be able to get a better feel for strategies to use on boss fights that way.

It's also helpful to know the sequence of events, where you need to go and what exactly you need to get. (And to remember that you won't be able to pick up everything along the way. Many things will be left behind that you might think you need.) For instance: most hardcore walkthroughs I've seen for Claire have one thing in common; they only take the handgun with them through the game and don't pick up any extra weapons until the grenade launcher is given to you at Nest.

Read a couple of strategies, watch some walkthroughs that are using the same medium you are, and go in with a specific route in mind. (And if you die, don't hit continue as your time continues to count down. Go out to the main menu and reload the game.)

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
If we average the amount of votes we have in this poll with the overall scores for each, we as a collective would have given RE2 REMAKE a total score of 8.79%. That's pretty good either way you personally voted!

lakbk

@lakbk Be careful watching the experts on YouTube; they can really mess you up depending on what platform they're using vs what platform you're using. High frame rates give PC users an edge over traditional console users so I'd suggest watching an S Rank playthrough of someone using the same platform you are. You'll be able to get a better feel for strategies to use on boss fights that way.

It's also helpful to know the sequence of events, where you need to go and what exactly you need to get. (And to remember that you won't be able to pick up everything along the way. Many things will be left behind that you might think you need.) For instance: most hardcore walkthroughs I've seen for Claire have one thing in common; they only take the handgun with them through the game and don't pick up any extra weapons until the grenade launcher is given to you at Nest.

Read a couple of strategies, watch some walkthroughs that are using the same medium you are, and go in with a specific route in mind. (And if you die, don't hit continue as your time continues to count down. Go out to the main menu and reload the game.)

Thanks, that was helpful. Mostly I was watching the PC versions. I went back and watch the ones using PS4/Xbox One. Was finally able to get Hardcore S rank with LeonA run, 2 hours 29 minutes 55 seconds with 17 saved. lol

After more practice and tries, last week was ultimately able to get both Hardcore S+ rank for LeonA and ClaireA run.

Claire A run 2 hours 29 minutes 56 seconds with 3 saved
Leon A run 2 hours 29 minutes 32 seconds with 3 saved

Lol, I barely made it on both. Initially I was heart broken trying to get my first S+ rank

Claire A run 2 hours 30 minutes 49 seconds
then 2nd attempt 2 hours 31 minutes 22 seconds
until 3rd attempt 2 hours 29 minutes 56 seconds. Yay!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I gotta say, while I did *really* like it...I didn't quite like it as much as 7. Because it was a remake of such an iconic game, there's bound to be some changes. I knew that going in. But the changes they made...were 50/50 good/bad. I wasn't a fan of where they chose to start the game. The character model decisions/Designs. How Marvin was handled as a character. A lot of it would have felt great...if I didn't have other sources to compare it to. Alternatively though, some of the changes were VERY welcomed. How the final fight with G in the first play through went down. The fact that you needed to use a Flashlight for just about everything due to power loss. Seeing the sewer gator walk by before fighting it, then the fight more or less being a QTE. I liked that stuff. All in all, I enjoyed it. I really did. But I'll still probably go back to REmake, RE2, RE3, or RE4 if I wanna replay and RE game. I'd probably even say RE7 has more replayability at this point. I'm worried I'm coming off as a REmake2 hater. I'm not. I really did enjoy it. I ranked it a 7/10. I just don't wanna be blind to the flaws simply because I'm so happy a dream came true

Wesker90

9/10 for me.

I'm a sucker for visuals in games and I never ever thought we'd get a REmake again.

Great gameplay, Graphics, Successful retelling of the original, Felt more difficult etc.

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Can't vote. I think 7 is a bit too high while 6 is a bit too low. Probably a score between 6 and 7.

While it has fun moments and is kinda decent; this game is really disappointing to me, especially as a remake. I might be biased here, especially since RE2 is my favourite RE game in the series even though I got into this franchise with RE4 and I liked the action aspects of RE4, RE5 and RE6.

Here are my complaints, hopefully I don't miss anything:

1. Some enemies from RE2 are missing. This game also doesn't introduce new enemies unlike RE1 Remake did.

2. Scenario system is a mess. They don't even connect to each other unlike RE2's scenarios or RE6's campaigns.

3. The new ivies are so bad and very lazily designed; the original ones are better. Their only attack is an instant kill grab; that is it. They also look more like zombies. Oh and why can't I use weapons other than flamethrower and grenade launcher loaded with flame rounds to kill them like how I could in RE2? Speaking of grenade launcher; you can't obtain normal grenade rounds for some reason.

4. Weapons really have poor impact, especially shotgun and magnum. They also sound quite bad; compare the upgraded shotgun to the beast in RE2.

5. Breakable knives. Really wished the one that can't be broken wasn't an unlockable and you had it with you right from the start. Honestly I prefer one weak unbreakable knife over multiple breakable knives.

6. In 2nd run; all handgun ammo pickups are replaced with special handgun ammo. ( Those weapons also have weird aiming poses and Claire's gun takes ages to reload. She also had that gun in RE2 and she reloads that thing way better in that game. ) I wished we could find regular handgun ammo without relying gunpowder and the game balanced both types of them.

7. Mr. X is used WAY too much. He should have been exclusive to 2nd run; his scariness started to deplete way earlier and he instead became annoying. Also; what's with the hat? Should had a design similar to the one in Darkside Chronicles.

8. Speaking of Mr. X; I would have liked him to drop ammo when defeated; that felt satisfying to do in RE2. I hope you'll be able to defeat Nemesis in RE3 Remake and he'll drop items when that happens.

9. Why can't I stomp on zombies when they grab my foot?

10. Barely any character interactions. I wished Leon encountered Sherry way earlier in RPD, both Leon and Claire had roles in saving infected Sherry from lab and Ada temporarily saw Sherry. Also why aren't Leon and Claire communicating each other with radios instead of lame papers?

11. 4 scenarios barely have any differences from each other unlike in RE2 where they had good amount of differences.

12. Ada's new backstory is stupid. RE2 Ada's backstory is a lot better while making the game connect better to RE1 Remake.

13. They lazily removed bowgun instead of improving it. They could have added some aspects from RECV like explosive bolts or an upgrade that allows you to fire the weapon in single or burst mode. Instead they made SMG exclusive to Claire which brings me to next complaint...

14. You can't obtain the SMG as Leon like how you can in RE2. It's also better in RE2.

15. Why is Ada's section so obnoxious? Like you could have put a 1st aid spray and some ammunition to her inventory.

16. No Extreme Battle mode. Should have been in the game instead of the atrocious Ghost Survivors episodes.

17. Death scenes have weird blinking effects which is unnecessary.

18. Marvin doesn't recap the events of Mansion Incident unlike in RE2.

19. The game's soundtrack is really generic and it barely plays. Why is the original soundtrack a paid DLC instead of an unlockable?

20. Changing Umbrella's orders feels unnecessary. In RE2, they simply needed the G-Virus. Here; they need Birkin alive as well. The big problem with this is one of the USS soldiers shoot Birkin and they check his body to reach the conclusion that he's dead even though he isn't. What?

21. Wasn't a big fan of the new lab's design and map layout. I think RE2 had a better lab design and map layout.

22. Claire forgets her brother completely ( " That's... that's great news. " ) after Marvin tells her that he's on vacation. She also doesn't sound that surprised when you read Chris' coded letter in her scenario. This affects the ending as well, she isn't really concerned with finding Chris unlike in RE2. ( " I have to find my brother. " )

23. The ending. Why show us Sherry crying over Annette's death only to follow that with the ending that shows Sherry wanting Leon and Claire to adopt her? It just doesn't follow IMO.

I'm glad people enjoyed this but it just didn't click that much for me.

Jamesy

RE2 remake is damn near perfect in my opinion

Speaking of remakes which Re game should they remake next?4

code veronica
resident evil 1 remake
resident evil 0
resident 4?

D

Deleted member 21244

RE2 remake is damn near perfect in my opinion

Speaking of remakes which Re game should they remake next?4

code veronica
resident evil 1 remake
resident evil 0
resident 4?
Code veronica for sure

Jamesy

Code Veronica is a much bigger game than RE2 and 3 so it will be many years before we see veronica remake

Mr.R

Code Veronica is a much bigger game than RE2 and 3 so it will be many years before we see veronica remake

I don't think Code Veronica is "much bigger" than RE2 or 3. It's bigger, but not so much. Of course, it feels this way, because it has ungodly amount of boring backtracking in empty corridors (probably because you killed everyone anyway. CV also has ungodly amounts of ammo, altough some of it is well hidden). Way more than any of the games that came before it. But honestly, the game only have 3 main areas, which can be expanded in a eventual remake but...I don't think they would make its campaign any longer than it was originally. Also, I don't like CV so...I'm hoping for a remake of it next. On my opinion, CV's story is its weakest point (this is an unpopular opinion, I think), and I'm curious on how they could improve it on a remake.

Top Bottom