• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Jill's face model vs Carlos's hair vs Nemesis nose/teeth..which "flaw" is tolerable/nontolerable to you

Zacmac90

Ever since the leak happened and we got to see what the main RE3 remake characters will like, ppl have already found their least fav thing bout each..but which one isn't really that big a deal to you?

Me? I don't mind the new face model for Jill, she may not be Julia Voth but this new Jill is like how I felt bout Claire..took a while to get used to but I ended up enjoying her.

Sane can be said bout Nemesis..the nose might seem odd but I think of it as a ****ed up reminder that he was human so it kinda makes sense I guess?

But for me...its Carlos's hair. It being messy and unclean looking isn't what bothers me, its the hair style. Not my personal choice for our favorite Brazilian USBC but just minor nitpick

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I hate the designs for all three, I gotta be honest. Carlos is supposed to be young. Like...21 if I remember right. He looks like he's in his early 30's. His hair looks like crap too. I think the facial hair was a nice idea, but, either A. That's what's making him look too old. Or B. It's not meshing with the hair at all. Maybe both. As for Jill? Hopefully my opinion will change when I have her in her classic outfit, and It's all in my head. But her new face? It's not Jill. That said, at least she's still pretty, unlike what they did with Claire. Claire is fugly in REmake2. Maybe the new Jill will grow on me...I hope. Like I said in a different post...RE3 is my favorite of the original trilogy. And so far this has me both excited AND let down...

D

Deleted member 21244

I like all 3 of the new design for the character maybe more than the original, I never had problem whit Capcom giving character a more realistic appearance both in resident evil and devil may cry

Jill_is_my_Valentine

I like all 3 of the new design for the character maybe more than the original, I never had problem whit Capcom giving character a more realistic appearance both in resident evil and devil may cry

Yeah, same here. I love the redesign a lot. I think I would like to see the white sweater come back in some way, but it looks like she's actually ready to fight. Better than a tube top and a skirt. Also, I'm very confused about why people are complaining about her not being attractive?

One: she's still attractive. Not that it matters, but she still is attractive. She looks like a real person.

Two: resident evil is about horror and survival. Not about being attractive to you. Besides, no one really complains about how attractive the male characters are or aren't?

D

Deleted member 21244

Yeah, same here. I love the redesign a lot. I think I would like to see the white sweater come back in some way, but it looks like she's actually ready to fight. Better than a tube top and a skirt. Also, I'm very confused about why people are complaining about her not being attractive?

One: she's still attractive. Not that it matters, but she still is attractive. She looks like a real person.

Two: resident evil is about horror and survival. Not about being attractive to you. Besides, no one really complains about how attractive the male characters are or aren't?
Jill look beautiful in my opinion, she is attractive but this isn't the things that matters in a resident evil game...

I don't know if the white sweater will be wearied by Jill at some point during the campaign but you can see it in the pre order bonus costume...

Also i can't really understand people who complain about uselles things like Jill being attractive ecc whil 3 days ago were praying on their knees for this remake to be done, but as soon as it was revealed they started to complain about everything .. I think we should all be happy and greatful that this remake is been made because there are game series that I would love to be remaked like metal gear but they will never be remade, so I'm happy about the fact that 3 remake is going to happen and be release soon

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

Human beings respond more to prettier things...That's just a fact. That's why stereotypically "Beautiful" people are usually mostly symmetrical with aesthetically pleasing features. No different than why human like pretty flowers, but hate weeds. It's an automatic response. And frankly, if I'm going to be staring at a video game character for hours upon hours, male OR female, I want to like what I'm looking at. Most people are probably that way. Geralt of Rivia isn't a 400 lb sloth, because that wouldn't make the majority of people happy lol. As for Jill's looks specifically, by changing them SO drastically, it breaks the immersion for the other games. At least it does for me. REmake through RE5, that was Jill. Graphics may get a little better here and there, but as a whole, you could tell that was DEFINITELY the same character. This model? This looks NOTHING like the Character model from RE5, so how on earth are we supposed to believe it's the same person. That's what I'm not a fan of. It's like replacing an actor/actress halfway through a movie series. Let's be honest...It takes you out of it a little.

D

Deleted member 21244

Human beings respond more to prettier things...That's just a fact. That's why stereotypically "Beautiful" people are usually mostly symmetrical with aesthetically pleasing features. No different than why human like pretty flowers, but hate weeds. It's an automatic response. And frankly, if I'm going to be staring at a video game character for hours upon hours, male OR female, I want to like what I'm looking at. Most people are probably that way. Geralt of Rivia isn't a 400 lb sloth, because that wouldn't make the majority of people happy lol. As for Jill's looks specifically, by changing them SO drastically, it breaks the immersion for the other games. At least it does for me. REmake through RE5, that was Jill. Graphics may get a little better here and there, but as a whole, you could tell that was DEFINITELY the same character. This model? This looks NOTHING like the Character model from RE5, so how on earth are we supposed to believe it's the same person. That's what I'm not a fan of. It's like replacing an actor/actress halfway through a movie series. Let's be honest...It takes you out of it a little.
Jill from original RE 3 was the same as the one from re 5? I don't think so, so I don't se the problem here to have Jill changing a bit in this remake... You say Tha Remake trought re 5 was the real, well you are omitting the original re 1 and re 3 Jill, and this two were the original jill design who have completely different face from the remake and 5 Jill so if you are going to play the game in chronological order it will still be a mess right now since you will have a different face for Jill in re 1 original and 3 and than have Julia voth face in remake and 5....

So i don't see how having a diffent design for jill in this remake take out the immersion since you already have another face for Jill in the original RE 3 that dose not fit whit the re 5 face

42c2d240855bba7c91e7b77a7e314b35.jpg

bsaa_jill_valentine_by_dragonkeeper333_d31nr9o-pre.jpg

They are completely differente even now

Also resident evil always remade is character design and face every time they change graphic or game, leon change everytime completely from re 2 to re 4 to degeneration to re 6 and vendettal , Chris from re 1 and code veronica is completely different from re 5 even if is face model is the same from the remake, even wesker was changed a bit in resident evil 5 he look more muscolare compared to re code veronica and umbrella chronicles... Claire change completely form re 2 to code veronica to degeneration to revelations 2 to remake 2... So the character redesign is not something new to the series

Last edited by a moderator:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Jill from original RE 3 was the same as the one from re 5? I don't think so, so I don't se the problem here to have Jill changing a bit in this remake... You say Tha Remake trought re 5 was the real, well you are omitting the original re 1 and re 3 Jill, and this two were the original jill design who have completely different face from the remake and 5 Jill so if you are going to play the game in chronological order it will still be a mess right now since you will have a different face for Jill in re 1 original and 3 and than have Julia voth face in remake and 5....

So i don't see how having a diffent design for jill in this remake take out the immersion since you already have another face for Jill in the original RE 3 that dose not fit whit the re 5 face

42c2d240855bba7c91e7b77a7e314b35.jpg

bsaa_jill_valentine_by_dragonkeeper333_d31nr9o-pre.jpg

They are completely differente even now

Also resident evil always remade is character design and face every time they change graphic or game, leon change everytime completely from re 2 to re 4 to degeneration to re 6 and vendettal , Chris from re 1 and code veronica is completely different from re 5 even if is face model is the same from the remake, even wesker was changed a bit in resident evil 5 he look more muscolare compared to re code veronica and umbrella chronicles... Claire change completely form re 2 to code veronica to degeneration to revelations 2 to remake 2... So the character redesign is not something new to the series
...I'm not omitting anything. I used REmake and RE5 as examples of the character model. Because that's what's relevant...the fact that you didn't get that is astounding. And no...In fact they don't change that often at all, from about Gamecube/PS2 era and up. In fact, Chris's facial structure from REmake and his structure in RE5 are nearly identical. Just better graphics. The only time significant changes are made, is when they're showing a characters age. However, R3make is going to take place AFTER REmake, yet Jill looks undeniably younger. That's just bad character design. Plain and simple.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
While it's true that she doesn't look like Julia Voth, who we've come to think of as 'Jill', I personally think that the new look is supposed to be an update of the original Nemesis character model. (Which, for better or worse, predates Voth.)

ThisIsXel-1201857945941815297-20191203_133718-img1.jpg

I'm here for it.

As for her looking younger, that's personal opinion. She looks like a woman in her twenties... Which is what she looked like in the Remake.

D

Deleted member 21244

...I'm not omitting anything. I used REmake and RE5 as examples of the character model. Because that's what's relevant...the fact that you didn't get that is astounding. And no...In fact they don't change that often at all, from about Gamecube/PS2 era and up. In fact, Chris's facial structure from REmake and his structure in RE5 are nearly identical. Just better graphics. The only time significant changes are made, is when they're showing a characters age. However, R3make is going to take place AFTER REmake, yet Jill looks undeniably younger. That's just bad character design. Plain and simple.
Resident evil 3 for ps1 take place after resident evil 1 remake, yet Jill face is completely different so what s the problem in changing her in the remake? I personally think that this new Jill look is awesome and look like re 3 Jill and can pass as a 23 years younger version o Re 5...

Also character face are always changed in almost every game and I already made you some example: look at leon from re 2 than 4 than degeneration that 6, or look at claire

Jill looks younger because she is 23, how should a 23 years old girl look like in you opinion? That not bad character design it's just your opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Also, I'm very confused about why people are complaining about her not being attractive?

One: Meh.

Two: Um, Redfield?

Jill_is_my_Valentine

I disagree with the principle that characters have to be attractive. Gears of War is very popular, and all the male characters look awful ugly to me. Granted, I’m biased because I don’t find men attractive normally.

However, I can agree that she does look different from the later games. I think someone mentioned that she’s a pretty close match to RE3. But she doesn’t match the later ones facial structure. I think that is probably the biggest weakness of the design, but also isn’t a huge deal to me. Your analogy about actor replacements makes sense, except resident evil is a movie series that’s been running for 20+ years now and they are remaking the third game in the franchise. Of course a recast is going to happen.

I think what’s likely happening here is that the new facial structures are meant to match up with the faces of the new actresses meant to play the characters. There’s a good chance they are using technology that maps the actors expressions onto the digital model (not uncommon), and that would work best with a model that resembles the actress more. Kind of like how Jessie in Control has a face that’s like 1:1 with the actress. But don’t quote me on that.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I love how everyone just expects Jill to look like Julia Voth all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love Julia Voth's likeness as Jill but the developers have a right to change the character's design. Just like they had the right to change Claire's design for the Remake of 2.

Just because Resident Evil was already remade - all the way back in '02 I might add; a mere TWO years after Code Veronica, the next game more than likely up for a remake - doesn't mean they are going to stick with that design for the duration. Nor are they obligated to.

And, for the record, they aren't changing the facial structure of the later games. They're going back to the ORIGINAL facial structure they put in place back in the day. The change was when they used Voth not the other way around.

This is why we can't have nice things.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I disagree with the principle that characters have to be attractive. Gears of War is very popular, and all the male characters look awful ugly to me. Granted, I’m biased because I don’t find men attractive normally.

However, I can agree that she does look different from the later games. I think someone mentioned that she’s a pretty close match to RE3. But she doesn’t match the later ones facial structure. I think that is probably the biggest weakness of the design, but also isn’t a huge deal to me. Your analogy about actor replacements makes sense, except resident evil is a movie series that’s been running for 20+ years now and they are remaking the third game in the franchise. Of course a recast is going to happen.

I think what’s likely happening here is that the new facial structures are meant to match up with the faces of the new actresses meant to play the characters. There’s a good chance they are using technology that maps the actors expressions onto the digital model (not uncommon), and that would work best with a model that resembles the actress more. Kind of like how Jessie in Control has a face that’s like 1:1 with the actress. But don’t quote me on that.
I didn't say they have to be attractive, to be fair. I said humans inherently like attractive things, so from a sales standpoint, it makes sense that most of the time your heroes and heroins are attractive. There's of course exceptions to the rule, but let's be honest, it's true FAR more often than it isn't. No...of course your hero doens't have to be attractive. But humans as a general rule, prefer it when they are, even at a subconscious level.

And yes...I do expect her to look like Julia Voth, simply because for her to look like what she does in this...and then what she looks like in RE5, is a psychically impossible change to occur naturally. Is it a dumb complaint? Maybe. But it 100% breaks the immersion factor for me. And I really don't see an issue complaining about a game doing something that breaks immersion, when usually the idea behind video games IS immersion XD. I look at this, and it just seems like a different character. I know it's not. It's supposed to be Jill. But It just doesn't make narrative sense to me. I don't like that I can't make this make sense in the context of the in-game universe. Obviously OUTSIDE the game universe I get why they did it. And that makes perfect sense. But...that was never my complaint. My complaint was about how her looks changed in what is technically supposed to be the same reality, in an unrealistic way. Again, may seem dumb to some folks...but It's a hangup for me.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
What if... they remake the entire series so that it all flows with the new character designs? :p

While I am coming around to the idea of remaking/rebooting the series entirely (with the same major characters), I know I've vocalized my dislike for redesigns of characters in the past (still friggin hoping we get a redesign of RE7 Chris for any future games) so I respect those who feel displeased and disappointed with the new designs (though I really don't see how this new Jill model is "unattractive", she is beautiful... just different from what we've grown accustomed to).

I'm personally loving what I'm seeing so far. I don't really have any issues with Jill, Carlos, or Nemesis' designs and, lately, I've been feeling more confident with Capcom as they seem to be slowly learning what works and what doesn't. I think they are finally figuring out that balance of developing character personalities while also finding that voice and face to bring it all together.

Edit:
Maybe I'm a shallow person but I want my characters to be attractive and physically capable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I didn't say they have to be attractive, to be fair. I said humans inherently like attractive things, so from a sales standpoint, it makes sense that most of the time your heroes and heroins are attractive. There's of course exceptions to the rule, but let's be honest, it's true FAR more often than it isn't. No...of course your hero doens't have to be attractive. But humans as a general rule, prefer it when they are, even at a subconscious level.

And yes...I do expect her to look like Julia Voth, simply because for her to look like what she does in this...and then what she looks like in RE5, is a psychically impossible change to occur naturally. Is it a dumb complaint? Maybe. But it 100% breaks the immersion factor for me. And I really don't see an issue complaining about a game doing something that breaks immersion, when usually the idea behind video games IS immersion XD. I look at this, and it just seems like a different character. I know it's not. It's supposed to be Jill. But It just doesn't make narrative sense to me. I don't like that I can't make this make sense in the context of the in-game universe. Obviously OUTSIDE the game universe I get why they did it. And that makes perfect sense. But...that was never my complaint. My complaint was about how her looks changed in what is technically supposed to be the same reality, in an unrealistic way. Again, may seem dumb to some folks...but It's a hangup for me.
So for you it make sense right now having Jill in resident evil 1 and 3 whit a different face and than having Julia voth in residet evil 5?

Top Bottom