• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Old VS New: Resident Evil 2

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Hello everyone!

As you know, REmake 2 has recently came out and I have enjoyed it very much, but I still hold the original in high regard

So I am wondering...in between the two of them, which one do you like the most? The classic or the remake?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I prefer things about the Remake and I prefer things about the original. I find it hard to compare the two simply because I don't necessarily find it fair to critique gameplay concepts and mechanics of the original against today's standards. The technology was so different back then and things have advanced so much in twenty years that I just don't find comparing the two justifiable.

They're both great games in their own right.

urrutiap

I still prefer the original Resident Evil 2.

Even though Chief Irons role was short in the original he had two one liners

"Everyone's gonna die."
"Ill take you with me"

I still remember the old tv commercial of the game back then where they included Irons's line "Everyone's gonna die."

Jimbeamjunior

I prefer the remake, but the original is a classic, however i love the intense atmosphere the rpd brings at times, especially your first time in it, plus i love the over the shoulder view, i think it puts you more in the characters shoes

For a police station that was overrun with zombies and people slaughtered i think the original lacked signs of it

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
This is a 50/50 toss up for me. Maybe 55/45 FOR the Remake.

When the original REmake came out, it gave us everything in the original PLUS extra greatness. It managed to completely nullify the original. There is hardly a reason to play the original Resident Evil aside from nostalgia purposes.

RE2 REmake gave us an incredible remake. Updated/horrifying. However, it didn't replace the original. It gave us a modern version without the depth of the B scenario given in the original. You can absolutely enjoy the original still. So, while it was a great REmake - it is not a complete replacement. Maybe slightly better than the original. But not giving us everything we needed.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
The only thing worth comparing is the story beats imo.

Which I feel the Original still does better without a doubt. Likewise, enemy variety, and very specifically the lack of one enemy in the Original is something it has over the remake. The rest, I think RE2Make does better.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I haven't played the original so I can't give my 2 cents about it.

I will say this though; the remake is phenomenal. I haven't replayed a linear single-player game so much since... Silent Hill 3 and 4, and that was over 10 years ago. As a matter of fact, I very seldom replay games more than once, and now I've already replayed RE2 remake 6 times. It's just so damn good its ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 21244

When the original REmake came out, it gave us everything in the original PLUS extra greatness. It managed to completely nullify the original. There is hardly a reason to play the original Resident Evil aside from nostalgia purposes.

Well the reason to play the original isn't only nostalgia but also the plot, since re 2 remake plot had no sense and miss 60 % of the original plot, and this make re 2 remake a bit non canon since the remake contradict the previous chronological re game and the subsequent chronological game...

That's why probably the original is better compared to remake, while the remake had better gameplay obviously...

You say that re 2 remake give all the original content plus more, sorry, what?
In the remake entire piece of story are missing, the spider are missing, file are missing, b scenario is missing, the 4 different story arc (claire A/Leon B, Leon A/Claire B) is missing... So how can you say that this remake give all the things that were in the original plus more?

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
The gameplay, graphics and atmosphere were excellent.
The additional story elements were welcome additions.
I really like annet for example even though in the original I thought she was a pretty uninteresting forgettable character

But one thing I don't understand was Claire and Leon had like 4 interactions together, the longest being the car journey at the start but they act like they had known each other for years during the game. Leon had basically no interaction at all with sherry which is sort of supposed to be important for all of their character developments going forward in future games

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Well the reason to play the original isn't only nostalgia but also the plot, since re 2 remake plot had no sense and miss 60 % of the original plot, and this make re 2 remake a bit non canon since the remake contradict the previous chronological re game and the subsequent chronological game...

That's why probably the original is better compared to remake, while the remake had better gameplay obviously...

You say that re 2 remake give all the original content plus more, sorry, what?
In the remake entire piece of story are missing, the spider are missing, file are missing, b scenario is missing, the 4 different story arc (claire A/Leon B, Leon A/Claire B) is missing... So how can you say that this remake give all the things that were in the original plus more?

I mean, there are other unique features in the game that weren't in any others... like the stalking Mr. X or the updates to Sherry and Ada's gameplay. The DLC were all original as well. But I agree that a lot of the original game is missing. And that is why I still think the original RE2 is the best RE game.

D

Deleted member 21244

I mean, there are other unique features in the game that weren't in any others... like the stalking Mr. X or the updates to Sherry and Ada's gameplay. The DLC were all original as well. But I agree that a lot of the original game is missing. And that is why I still think the original RE2 is the best RE game.
Nonetheless I really love re 2 remake but still I prefer the original one...

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
For now, I'm going with the original. I haven't played the remake just yet. Will post it here when I finally do!

I highly recommend that you do. It is definitely worth it. I still believe that the original games is a superior game if you don't measure by the controls and graphics - but the new one is a fun game and one the best REs of all time.

Top Bottom