• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil (2002) / HD Remaster (2015) REmake Is HARD; Even When It Isn't

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
REmake is a phenomenally well designed and difficult game. It also happens to be the source of my greatest video game embaressment.

At some point in 2018, I purchased the REmake/0 Remastered Collection. I started with 0 and played it on Normal. That was not an easy feat; but it wasn't impossible either (except for that damn Bat Boss).

THEN, I played REmake and I thought to myself, "Let me play on Easy mode since I am more interested the the story than anything else and I am getting prepped for RE2 REmake in a few months." However, when choosing a difficult in REmake, they give you a bunch of scenarios, so I chose the easiest one and started the game. The option was something like "I am more interested in an easy path to view nature" or something ambiguous like that.

Anyway, I am playing the game. I love every minutes. I am cringing because it is still difficult despite me picking the Easy option. Crimson Heads always make the game 10X harder. And I am playing Jill's scenario since I played Chris during the Gamecube error. I die a few times. I am palpatating when Yawn comes in. I am getting swallowed by Neptunes. I am struggling against The Tyant. But I finally finish it. Sweet relief. Finally, done.

Then my trophy pops.

"Completed the game on VERY Easy mode"

...Now I can never play another Survival Horror game on anything but Normal.

Does anyone else notice the sharp difficulty in this game? Or am I literally complaining about nothing?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I hate to say this but I think you're complaining about nothing. I'm not saying you didn't have difficulties but the game isn't that difficult, especially on 'hiking' or whatever the creative name for easy was in that game.

Perhaps you should watch some videos or read a walkthrough to gather a strategy, see how the enemies move, etc then revisit on normal. I always find it helpful to study enemy movement in gameplay videos and formulate a strategy when I'm having difficulties; usually makes my life a helluva lot easier.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
No other game in the series hits me like this one. I could do it on Normal or Hard now that I remember where everything is and how it works.

I think I am allergic to Crimson Heads though. haha

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I never really messed with the crimson heads during my playthroughs of the remake. With Chris I always burned zombies beforehand but with Jill I found I could either outrun them or I just used a defensive item and didn't really waste my ammo. (And if I did, I shot them only to stun them long enough to get by and usually with the shotgun.)

Turo602

The King of Kings
Having blasted through this game for the perfect Gamerscore recently, I think you just don't have the right strategy. Even on the hardest difficulty, the game doesn't really feel any different so long you're using the same strategy to avoid enemies and going along the most efficient path.

My first 2 playthroughs were my blind runs, but after that, I was already attempting a speed run, and after having done a couple of speed runs, the game doesn't really change much on harder difficulties because you've gotten that much better at progressing through the game.

And believe me, I was no expert at REmake before I started playing it last month. I had only beaten it like twice nearly 10 years ago, and it's always been an intimidating game for me to start up which is why I've never played it again until recently. But now I've done speed runs, invisible enemy mode, and a knife run, and I feel like a total expert at it.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It looks like I am going to have to try it on Normal next year to prove I ain't a chump. This is the only game that tortures me like this in the RE lineup. RE7 is also a little bit difficult.

I have only ever beaten RE4 on any mode harder than Normal. But I know that game super well, so it makes it easier.

Mr.R

Like it was said before, Remake is most a case of strategy, more than gameplay. It takes a while to get used to the slow movements of your characters (even if compared to the other games with static cameras), but once you get to that, it gets easier. Zombies can take a lot of bullets and they don't feel the shots, so always shoot from a good distance. Also, crimson heads might look dangerous and quick, but they have the same health of a normal zombie (except by the boss one, of course), so one or two shotgun shells and you're good to go. The best thing is to run around and get a feel of the mansion and then you can plan a route, killing and burning only the zombies that stand on your routes. Bosses are pretty standard fare and both Shotguns are pretty useful with almost any enemy in the game. Oh, and one last thing, defense itens pack one hell of a punch in this game (tasers and grenades are pretty much one-hit kill, but even the daggers do a lot of damage on zombies)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Hmmm, can't say I agree. I completed my first playthrough on Normal mode, but I only got the "You Are Dead" like 5-6 times. And I don't consider myself to be an excellent gamer since I mostly play games for their stories.

I've never really understood the problem people seem to have with the crimson heads. To me they were just faster zombies that popped up all of a sudden, I had much bigger problems with the hunters that scared the crap out of me. The bosses are quite easy too, although Lisa Trevor made me die a few times until I realized she can't be killed.

By comparison, I had LOADS of problems playing through Zero on Normal mode. That was insanely difficult, and I just kept dying and dying in soooo many places. The leechmen are probably the most annoyingly overpowered enemy ever, and the ridiculous amount of monkeys they throw at you in some places is just frustrating. Bosses like the giant bat are so poorly constructed that you just want to smash your controller into pieces. And the final boss took me more than 20+ tries to beat.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Maybe I am just a different breed. I had no issues playing through ZERO - at least when it comes to combat - I still am angry I had to track down that Hookshot 3 or 4 times. The only time I find ZERO difficult is during the Bat Boss. The aiming (even with the improvements) isn't good enough for a boss a different heights than the characters. Maybe 2020, I will do a Chris run through of the game on Normal. I gotta try. lol

1995umk3

I have it on PS3 and I only finished it once, it was way harder for me then RE4. In REmake, I always run low on ammo.. so maybe once I get good at REmake I can beat it again someday.

D

Deleted member 21244

Played remake on normal first time, find it equally difficult as the original, after playing so many resident evil and knowing how to play them, even hard seen easy...
But very easy mode and easy are to simple, I don't see how can that be a challenge since you can simply kill everything and have many ammo and healt...

Jonipoon

Played remake on normal first time, find it equally difficult as the original, after playing so many resident evil and knowing how to play them, even hard seen easy...
But very easy mode and easy are to simple, I don't see how can that be a challenge since you can simply kill everything and have many ammo and healt...
I never play Hard mode in video games except for when I wanna try out the first level or so in Hard mode just for fun, but I rarely proceed further simply because I find Hard modes quite boring. The main reason isn't the higher difficulty per se, but the fact that everything takes a longer time and unless it has a direct effect on the story itself it just comes off as very repetitive.

The only exception is probably the Hard Riddle mode in the Silent Hill games, which I fairly enjoy because puzzles are different.

D

Deleted member 21244

I never play Hard mode in video games except for when I wanna try out the first level or so in Hard mode just for fun, but I rarely proceed further simply because I find Hard modes quite boring. The main reason isn't the higher difficulty per se, but the fact that everything takes a longer time and unless it has a direct effect on the story itself it just comes off as very repetitive.

The only exception is probably the Hard Riddle mode in the Silent Hill games, which I fairly enjoy because puzzles are different.
I usually play hard for the first time on most game, because I usually find normal to easy, I never die once in most game... But I get what you are trying to say about the hard difficulty getting repetitive

Wesker90

Just completed it today with Chris on Normal, Had no problem at all until I got to the laboratory and rushed through with some assistance from a walkthrough.

X Ray puzzle sucked hard, Also didn't save Rebecca because I wasn't paying enough attention when I found the Metal object due to noises around my house, No 2nd boss fight from Tyrant either.

Jonipoon

Just completed it today with Chris on Normal, Had no problem at all until I got to the laboratory and rushed through with some assistance from a walkthrough.

X Ray puzzle sucked hard, Also didn't save Rebecca because I wasn't paying enough attention when I found the Metal object due to noises around my house, No 2nd boss fight from Tyrant either.
Did you blow up the mansion?

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Just did a Chris and Jill run through
this weekend. Forgot what a blast this game is as the last time I played it was on my GameCube a while back. Like Turo, I probably only beat the game a total of 3 or 4 times in the past. My first try as Chris was a bit wonky as it took me the longest to get used to the fixed cameras, controls and slow run of the character. Plus trying to remember where to go and where items were located. The only time I died as Chris, though, was when you have to carry the exploding fuel! lol

Afterwards, I did a run through as Jill and had to get used to her disadvantage of not being able to pull off as many headshot kills. It took a few deaths before I realized that she also takes on more damage than Chris during attacks, so be ready to heal her.

I haven’t played the game on a harder difficulty yet so I am looking forward to completing a run through on the hard mode next. Don’t think I’m quite ready for a knife run yet though. :lol:

Lemme just say that if I ever had to face down spiders that friggin big, I’d be dead. I’d probably be cocooned with the rest of the bodies in the nest... what an awful death that would be... very disturbing and disgusting.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I 100% agree. I wouldn't mind a lot of the enemies in real life. But the spiders would leave me paralyzed in fear. When I see a large wolf spider now, I get weak in the knees.

Of course, any monster from RE would leave me scarred for life. But spiders. I just can't do it.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I 100% agree. I wouldn't mind a lot of the enemies in real life. But the spiders would leave me paralyzed in fear. When I see a large wolf spider now, I get weak in the knees.

Of course, any monster from RE would leave me scarred for life. But spiders. I just can't do it.
Paralyzed with fear is exactly what would happen to me as well haha. I don’t do spiders and I don’t even know how my fear of them has gotten so bad as I got older.
I will say I didn’t scream at my TV while I fought them this time around. So, progress! :razz:

Top Bottom