• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Remake Nemesis

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Okay so now that it has been a while, what do you guys think about the remake version of Nemesis? Did he still instill the terror in your heart as he did in the OG, or he wasn't as scary as he should've been?

TBH, I am pretty indifferent. The first time around, i admit that I was surprised that he came onto scene very quickly in gameplay, but that is a double edge sword since i felt that it ruins the suspense and dread you are suppose to feel in anticipation. After that, i was just like...meh.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't think Nemesis ever terrified me the way he was supposed to. I wasn't as terrified of him as I was the situations he put me in.

Do I have enough ammo?​
How much ammo will I have if I fight?​
Do I have enough space to run?​
How many healing items do I have?​
When was my last save?​
Etc.​
New Nemesis gave me much the same feelings so I'm not necessarily disappointed in however he was altered for the remake. Mr. X was definitely scarier in my opinion though.

But I mean RE2 was a straight horror game while RE3 was more of a horror/action title so it's not like that was totally unexpected or came out of nowhere.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I mostly agree with Rain on this. Since Nemesis was more of a quick-run obstacle than a chasing behemoth, he felt more like an annoyance in terms of gameplay. I like a lot of the set pieces they designed for him to chase the player, but he mostly felt like a nuisance. My first time through the game, sure, I was scared and surprised by him a lot, but we have had better versions of this style of attacker. He was implemented by Ustanak. He comes in to be tough and foreboding, but is not the scariest chap we have seen.

From a design perspective, I think his updated design was great. I do not know that they HAD to update his design, but the new one was very eerie. When he was covered in that... garbage bag material? I thought that was the scariest version we got in the remake. But I did not appreciate that they skipped over his tentacle forms from the original. The updated beast version of Nemesis was a great design, but it felt like they sucked away his calculating, stalker development too soon. Then we get two boss fights with him in this form that are almost identical. Bad development. They didnt include any other boss and lazily developed the same boss fight with minor additions. His final form is the only form that is actually superior to the original. In the original, his final form was not threatening at all. It is a free win the game scenario. However, in the remake, the final nemesis design is both freaky and difficult to face... especially on harder modes. Then, having to walk through his charred remains was an excellent and disgusting decision.

Overall, original nemesis was an icon and a better version of the enemy. The new nemesis has some good ideas, but they cannot be appreciate because of how quick the game moves and how he is underutilized, then remains stagnant.

Mr.R

Hmm...I think, going for a story pov, Remake Nemesis seems more menacing, because, thanks to this new "cinematic" way of telling a story, you can feel his presence. The first sequence where he breaks into Jill's apartment and start to throw her around like a rag doll is very, very good. And we have more story sequences to flesh him this way. In the og, he pretty much appears, then you run a few rooms and he gives up. Sometimes, in the og, it feels like you're meeting him by accident (just sometimes) while in the Remake it makes it more pronounced that you're being hunted. Then again, it's unfair to compare modern storytelling with 32 bit 90's storytelling.

I do say I don't miss tentacle Nemesis. Actually, in the og, when Nemesis became this, It pretty much loses any tension on fighting him, because he becomes so weak and predictable in his attacks, that he's simply not menacing anymore. You just dodge to the side of his "normal" arm. That's all. He only has three attacks. You dodge two this way and he has a slap that barely does any damage. I even beat him with Carlos and his hadgun, when I come back from the hospital every time just to hammer this. Of course, I suppose the Remake Tentacle Nemesis wouldn't be that weak (considering normal Nemesis can stun lock you to death sometimes) but I don't mind four-legged monster nemesis too much. I also find the flamethrower-nemesis fight pretty cool, actually. It's my favorite boss fight with him.

All in all, I like them both, considering the differences of the games. I just really like both versions of RE3.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I like how quickly and unexpectedly he was introduced in the beginning. It really did seem like Jill has alot more to contend with already and is a true survivor.

Although as the game progressed and he appears are set intervals that took the shine off, especially in contrast to Mr x in re2.

I thought his design and mutations look cool though, even if I did wonder how on earth it were able to infiltrate the underground facility.

I'm also sad that Brad didn't have any shown conflict with him aswell

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
@UniqTeas I think the first model in game is supposed to be covered in body bags.

And while I'm flattered at the comparison, I'm not Rain.:p

Thank you for putting my error in a Spoiler so my shame can be kept hidden! haha.

I never thought about it being body bags, but I guess all of the little tags on the ends make much more sense now. I thought it was a very cool and horrendous look for Nemesis to start the game. Too bad they rush Nemesis so much in the beginning. I like the feeling of him being an unstoppable monster, but that pacing is a little TOO rushed.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
First of all, it was a big mistake to have Nemesis burst through the wall into Jill's apartment at the very start of the game. It ruined any kind of anticipation and build-up for what was to come. As with so much else in entertainment these days, subverting expectations isn't always a good thing. Nemesis' first reveal should've followed his original appearance much closer, but with a twist in order to surprise us. The remake had some good basic ideas such as showing his crashed box right outside Jill's apartment - this should've been the first thing we see related to Nemesis. Brad should've kept his original scared personality in order to make the player feel scared too, I don't understand why they tried to make Brad look more "cool" in the remake when he's still useless at fighting and surviving anyway. I miss chicken Brad whom shouted "There's no ESCAPE!" in sheer panic, compared to remake Brad who just throws it off as a joke with "Yeah he's got a hard-on for the last Stars members left in town". Also, Nemesis killing Brad in the original was an extremely important scene that established his character and motive, which is eliminating all remaining S.T.A.R.S. members. Actually I wouldn't mind Brad being less of a coward in the remake as long as Nemesis kills him. It's just so important for the story.

Secondly, I don't think I need to explain what a disappointment Nemesis is when it comes to actual gameplay. Many already seem to agree that he's more of an action set piece made for cutscenes and QTE's rather than a stalking threat like in the original. Much of this has to do with how the game is designed, and how the developers abandoned the semi-open world in the original for a more straightforward action game. There's really only one small open area (Downtown) for remake- Nemesis to stalk you in, the rest of the game consists of linear levels that simply wouldn't work that well with a stalking enemy. There's only one good boss fight with normal Nemesis, and then he transforms into a giant Dark Souls boss the next time you see him.

The sad thing is that Nemesis in RE3 remake had so much potential to be the ultimate super version of Mr. X from the RE2 remake, something which fans anticipated to the point of almost taking it for granted. And then when the game actually came out, it was shocking to realize that he was ironically more similar to Mr. X from the original RE2.

I would like to conclude this text by yet again acknowledging that the biggest fault in Nemesis' portrayal is a direct consquence of how the RE3 remake was designed. It is a great shame that the developers decided to reimagine the original game instead of remaking it, something which I will never get over. Most of all, it feels like a big middle finger to us RE3 fans after we saw how great the RE2 remake was. Because when it comes to his redesign, I actually like how Nemesis looks in the remake. He looks intimidating and scary, but he doesn't feel scary.

Top Bottom