• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Resident evil VILLAGE leak, trailer ecc

• Thread starter Deleted member 21244
  • Start date

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It looks like the tall lady might be Alcida Demetriscu, but I cannot be sure. If you google it, it corrects you to Al Queda, which is NOT what I wanted to have in my search history today.

I heard the Collectors Edition is already sold out, so if we are hoping that Capcom will shift the gameplay because of sales numbers, I dont see that happening. This game is appealing to the major masses. Gaming Twitter is obsessed with it. Lady Demetriscu is trending every few hours or so because people like being scared and horny. I really do not want to continue First Person RE games, but I dont see enough backlash about the first person style or the lack of scientific grounding (although we dont know there wont be any science involved).

I think the game will be fun no matter what, but I do not know if it will fit the RE canon all that well.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The tall lady memes are so damn annoying. They keep popping up in my YouTube feed just because I've watched some related RE8 videos, and they make me feel ashamed of being a Resident Evil fan. Fan artists have already done hundreds and hundreds of sexy images of this vampire lady and her minions. All of these thirsty guys whom are obsessed with being humiliated and dominated by this tall lady just because she's got huge bazooms. Most of these people are obviously not even RE fans, because I've seen comments like "This might be the first time I buy a horror game" and "I don't know about this game before but please take my money".

How tragic.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree that the level of love for the Tall Lady is getting to be ridiculous, but hopefully it encourages people to play the game and explore the series. RE4, RE5, and RE6 - despite their different takes on the Resident Evil formula added a huge amount of players since the games seemed much more accessible (and they were.) But a lot of those folks ended up playing more games in the series and have become lifelong fans. I do find the fan art funny at this point too. It will be annoying in like June though when the game comes out and she takes over EVERYTHING.

Hardware

I agree that the level of love for the Tall Lady is getting to be ridiculous, but hopefully it encourages people to play the game and explore the series. RE4, RE5, and RE6 - despite their different takes on the Resident Evil formula added a huge amount of players since the games seemed much more accessible (and they were.) But a lot of those folks ended up playing more games in the series and have become lifelong fans. I do find the fan art funny at this point too. It will be annoying in like June though when the game comes out and she takes over EVERYTHING.
More people jumping on the RE train now (i.e. more causals) would probably mean more Village-style games in the future, just as it happened with the action-oriented entries. While we haven't played the game yet (so judging it right now is unfair), I can already say I don't like the style the series is taking: it doesn't matter if the Tall Lady turns out to be a BOW, such a character doesn't fit with what RE should be (in my opinion). That said, whatever: the RE I love is dead and it will never really come back,.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I dont mind the women and the tall lady thing if the characters are utilised well and have decent stories Involving them. The trailers we have seen so far do not make me think she will be amazing because we havnt seen anything yet other than a few ... selective shots. The memes are hype surrounding her have even got the re community managers building on it which is as bad as the dummy finger stuff got. I'm surprised a preorder bundle doesn't come with a tall lady figurine yet.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Have yall seen the map yet? This game looks HUGE if this map covers everywhere we will be going.

I wont put a spoiler tag on this link, since you have to click it, but man, it looks interesting to say the least. I just hope the story can utilize all of these locations well. Seems like RE4 on a GRANDER scale.... which has upsides and downsides.

Jonipoon

Maps can be misleading. I wouldn't necessarily count on the locations being grander in scale than RE4 based on this, since we're dealing with a different level of detail in terms of graphics and props. It takes longer time to produce games these days, and honestly I would rather have smaller more detailed worlds instead of bigger less detailed worlds.

Quite disappointing to see that there seems to be a lake monster in this game. I mean seriously, how much more are they going to copy from RE4? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cabin scene too (then again that's already been copied to death).

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree that a smaller, much more detailed world works better for a RE game. The action games (RE4-RE6) really push the boundaries on how much of the game I could want with RE6 literally smashing my attention span at some points.

I hope to see these locations, but I do not want to be stuck in a survival adventure for 30 hours! Maybe there will be lots of DLC content to explore the world well without pushing the envelope.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yeah, survival horror games can overstay their welcome. This was my biggest gripe with Resident Evil 4 and other survival horror games that came from it like Dead Space and The Evil Within. All 3 are amazing games, and I feel like both Dead Space and The Evil Within did a much better job with the horror aspect than Resident Evil 4, but they go on so long that they end up feeling more action adventure than survival horror and Resident Evil 8 seems to be heading back into that direction for no other reason than because they can squeeze a remake of RE4 out of it.

The series is such a f*cking mess in terms of direction and consistency. We went from Resident Evil 7, a wannabe Resident Evil 1, to Resident Evil 8, a wannabe Resident Evil 4. Even with the remakes, we went from traditional survival horror with RE2 to a linear action fueled game with RE3. What exactly is this series supposed to be anymore and who is it for exactly?

Capcom can whisper all the sweet nothings they want about how "they're going back to their roots" and "appealing to core fans" but then they go back on those decisions so quickly and act like nothing is wrong. But please tell us more about how tall the vampire lady is to keep all the cucks invested.

Mr.R

In my opinion, Survival horror games shouldn't be that long. I do think that RE4 is an exception on my book because it's so damn well paced (but that's just me. I love RE4). RE5 on the other hand, while it's smaller than RE4, is still longer than most other RE's and I think RE5 drops the ball a lot and could be at least 2 hours shorter (I would cut the entire Tomb Raider chapters from RE5. That thing hurts the pace of the game). I do agree with Turo that Evil Within could be shorter, especially because the game feels all over the place with its plot, placing the player in scenarios that basically don't have any connection with the place the player was before, cutting the sense of progression. I think Evil Within 2 did better in that regard, especially because a lot of the exploring is optional and the game has a better pace. I honestly don't remember the lenght of the Dead Space games. It's been a few years since I've played them and I just remember the first one being my favorite.

That's one of the reasons I didn't bothered too much with RE3R's lenght (which was pretty much close to the original and actually longer than 7's main campaign, if you could cut all the "cut scenes"). That being said, if the gameplay is good and pacing is good, then lenght isn't a problem, but everything over 10 hours with Resident Evil is actually too much. I'm thinking this game will have a 6-8 hour campaign, which is fine, I guess, if the game is fun.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
As much as I hate to see the word cuck written down (Thanks Shakespeare!), I agree with Turo 100% on that statement. I think RE4 skirts the boundary a little bit which makes the Island portion feel more of a chore sometimes than the rest of the game, but I agree with Mr. R in that the pacing is pretty good. LoU2 lasted WAY too long. I loved the game, but damn, it really could have used some chopping.

I hope there is some connection to the older games somehow in Village though too. I know the Umbrella logo has been shown, but that could just be aesthetic.

Jonipoon

Length isn't a problem if fresh and interesting things keep happening. In the case of RE4, the length becomes an issue since Ashley keeps getting kidnapped over and over again, but it's still not as bad as the Antarctica portion of CVX. There are enough surprises in the latter half of RE4 to make up for it, such as the fight with Krauser.

So, while I generally don't agree on the notion that horror games shouldn't be too long, I can see where some games fail to stay focused. It's easy to get derailed or repetitive.

Hardware

Horror is best served short. The best examples of horror literature are short stories and some novellas. Survival Horror games (the real ones), in particular, are essentially huge puzzles and they need to be carefully planned, especially when it comes to locations' size, which means they cannot go on forever. RE4 is way too long in my book and could do so because it's not survival horror: it's way simpler to put room after room if everything is reduced to moving down enemies and pulling the occasional lever. The Evil Within, while it's more horror than RE4, truly overstays its welcome: you get to a point where you just beg for it to end. And, again, it ain't really survival horror: you have to be more careful but, as long as you pick up enough green gel to upgrade your skills and weapons, you're going to make it through. Evil Within 2 was much better paced indeed: both game's Achille's tendon is the plot and the way it is told to you. The best SH games are the ones you can get through in about 4 hours or less once you have gained enough experience: you cannot get through RE4 in 4 hours even with the fully upgraded Elephant Killer, the Tommy Gun, and the infinite Rocket Launcher because there is so much padding. Same with EW1: it's way too long. You can get through EW2 with a fully upgraded Castellanos in about 4 hours or so.

Hardware

As a side note, the new merchant is referred to as The Baron: it just occurred to me it could be a nod to Baron Vladimir Harkonnen from "Dune". He too is a very overweight man who cannot really walk on his own legs (and the merchant, so far, is always shown while he sits on something - and, given how big he is, I don't think he can actually stand up).

f4b841728794de658fb29aabde6827c5.jpg

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Horror is best served short. The best examples of horror literature are short stories and some novellas. Survival Horror games (the real ones), in particular, are essentially huge puzzles and they need to be carefully planned, especially when it comes to locations' size, which means they cannot go on forever. RE4 is way too long in my book and could do so because it's not survival horror: it's way simpler to put room after room if everything is reduced to moving down enemies and pulling the occasional lever. The Evil Within, while it's more horror than RE4, truly overstays its welcome: you get to a point where you just beg for it to end. And, again, it ain't really survival horror: you have to be more careful but, as long as you pick up enough green gel to upgrade your skills and weapons, you're going to make it through. Evil Within 2 was much better paced indeed: both game's Achille's tendon is the plot and the way it is told to you. The best SH games are the ones you can get through in about 4 hours or less once you have gained enough experience: you cannot get through RE4 in 4 hours even with the fully upgraded Elephant Killer, the Tommy Gun, and the infinite Rocket Launcher because there is so much padding. Same with EW1: it's way too long. You can get through EW2 with a fully upgraded Castellanos in about 4 hours or so.
It depends on the story, and sadly the horror genre is disproportionately filled with lackluster storytelling across all media. It's no coincidence for example that most young and inexperienced filmmakers make a horror short film when they decide to make their first short film. Likewise, the indie game scene is overrepresented by horror games and most are pretty bad. Literature is a bit different since it's more difficult to get published, but if you look at famous writers such as Stephen King they are more than capable of writing excellent horror novellas of long length. "It" is his longest horror novella and is often considered some of his best work. And in his short story compliation "The Skeleton Crew" which consists of over 20 stories, the longest one "The Mist" is considered the best.

The Evil Within 2 might be better paced (i.o.w. more linear) than it's predecessor, but by doing so it sacrificed almost everything that made the first game stand out as a psychological horror masterpiece. The best part about the first one was that you never knew what was going to happen, what was real and what was a dream, or when the nightmare was going to end. The game is absolutely bonkers and has some of the craziest varieties in levels, bosses, and gameplay that I've ever seen. The second game is a quicker and less complicated experience that kept you stranded in the same fixed location. And oh boy do I even need to mention how much the story sucks in TEW2.

Anyway, I never understand the need to rush through horror games unless you're doing a speedrun. You're talking about how it's impossible to go through this and that under 4 hours, so what? When I play a horror game I do it for the experience, and I like to completely immerse myself into its story, world and atmosphere. The best SH games are the ones where you can stay in a room longer than 4 seconds to pick up a key item, simply because you want to admire the atmosphere, sound design, etc just a biiit longer.

And lastly, RE4 is more of an action game than a horror game anyway, so.

Hardware

It depends on the story, and sadly the horror genre is disproportionately filled with lackluster storytelling across all media. It's no coincidence for example that most young and inexperienced filmmakers make a horror short film when they decide to make their first short film. Likewise, the indie game scene is overrepresented by horror games and most are pretty bad. Literature is a bit different since it's more difficult to get published, but if you look at famous writers such as Stephen King they are more than capable of writing excellent horror novellas of long length. "It" is his longest horror novella and is often considered some of his best work. And in his short story compliation "The Skeleton Crew" which consists of over 20 stories, the longest one "The Mist" is considered the best.

The Evil Within 2 might be better paced (i.o.w. more linear) than it's predecessor, but by doing so it sacrificed almost everything that made the first game stand out as a psychological horror masterpiece. The best part about the first one was that you never knew what was going to happen, what was real and what was a dream, or when the nightmare was going to end. The game is absolutely bonkers and has some of the craziest varieties in levels, bosses, and gameplay that I've ever seen. The second game is a quicker and less complicated experience that kept you stranded in the same fixed location. And oh boy do I even need to mention how much the story sucks in TEW2.

Anyway, I never understand the need to rush through horror games unless you're doing a speedrun. You're talking about how it's impossible to go through this and that under 4 hours, so what? When I play a horror game I do it for the experience, and I like to completely immerse myself into its story, world and atmosphere. The best SH games are the ones where you can stay in a room longer than 4 seconds to pick up a key item, simply because you want to admire the atmosphere, sound design, etc just a biiit longer.

And lastly, RE4 is more of an action game than a horror game anyway, so.
I've read most of King's novel and I personally thought "It" was far from his best work, especially if you're looking for a horror novel. "Pet Sematary" is probably one of his finest, and it's one of his shortest. Also, King ain't the best example of a horror author in my book: he's the one who got the best PRs, but there are more interesting writers. Brian Keene is the first one I can think of: in his novella "Castaways" (which is 200 pages long, but it uses a very large font and lots of empty spaces - it could probably be shrunk to 50 pages), he managed to do what Brian Laymon failed to achieve with his four "Beast House" novels. King's real strength is that he writes very well, as demonstrated by his short story "It Grow On You" which is just the story of an old house that makes you believe is going to take a scary turn but it never does (you could probably read King's groceries list and it would still be a good read). Anyway, as a long-time reader of horror novels, I am not afraid to say most of them (if not all of them) have the same problem: they lack intensity, as the actual amount of horror content is usually diluted in hundreds of pages about the characters' own businesses. As for the short movies, the problem is that a lot of filmmakers (or aspiring ones) think that horror is easy. Hell, I've seen my share of short horror movies made by people who didn't even like horror (and it showed), they just did them because it's a genre that lends itself very well to stuff like final twists, which is what most short movies aim to have in order to appear smart.

Quite frankly, I was never under the impression The Evil Within was "psychological horror" in the true sense - it was just weird at first because you kept hopping from location to location, but, save for a few parts (like the beginning, where you have to sneak past the chainsaw guy), it was more or less a darker version of RE4 (and I can only wish RE4 had been like The Evil Within - at least it would've been a horror game). In all honesty, I don't think I have ever really played a psychological horror game: "psychological horror" per se is a rare currency even in movies. I can only think of a few who can really claim to be like that: "Jacob's Ladder" is the first one that springs to mind. But that's a movie that really wants to mess up with you. Most of the so-called "psychological horror movies" are just a string of jump scares or try to build up the tension by racking up the subwoofer channel.

I hate speedruns. My point about a good SH game being beatable in 4 hours relates to the fact that they are all essentially short games, it just takes you quite some time to figure everything out: but, once you do (after several playthroughs), you can go through them quite fast. It's quality over quantity: the classic RE games just had the right amount of content. While I love Code: Veronica (favorite entry along with RE2), a lot of people to this day complain about its length, which I think was intentionally increased over the previous games because a lot of critics kept pointing out that they were short: I have no problem with C:V, but I think that it sort of demonstrates that survival horror mechanics are hardly applicable on something that doesn't take a few hours to finish in theory.

As an addendum, I had a few encounters with game developers: to them, a game like RE3 is a 1 hour and 1\2 game, because that's the minimum amount of time it takes to finish it and, if you're going to try and make a game like that, in the presentation papers you have to indicate that kind of running time, not the amount of time you hope the average player is going to take to get to the end.

Last edited:

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
maybe it is only my prospective , environment that you have to repeated again and again in a survival horror game , is better than a wide place that you never have to come back again. when you are keep going to new places, you are alerted, but if you cleared an area already and feel safe, coming back there with new tricks scares you more , cause in your mind, there is no danger there anymore .
huge monsters are not compare able to being lost in game and dont know where to go. Code veronica is best example and RE1 even Alone in the dark (which i hate it as much as outlast) . you have everything and small environment, yet, you should keep searching (solve puzzles , fight monster and realize you wasted you ammo and... ) and lack of supply in meanwhile . if RE8 is like it, i can forget about that man's blood lady is floating by bugs in a resident evil Game for few hours

Hardware

maybe it is only my prospective , environment that you have to repeated again and again in a survival horror game , is better than a wide place that you never have to come back again. when you are keep going to new places, you are alerted, but if you cleared an area already and feel safe, coming back there with new tricks scares you more , cause in your mind, there is no danger there anymore .
huge monsters are not compare able to being lost in game and dont know where to go. Code veronica is best example and RE1 even Alone in the dark (which i hate it as much as outlast) . you have everything and small environment, yet, you should keep searching (solve puzzles , fight monster and realize you wasted you ammo and... ) and lack of supply in meanwhile . if RE8 is like it, i can forget about that man's blood lady is floating by bugs in a resident evil Game for few hours
Yeah, I think you nailed an important part of what survival horror is: backtracking through the maze that the main locations are. Which can be pretty unnerving since you know the game is not going to stay quiet for too long.

mert20004

Am ı the only one who feels that capcom's making this game just to reuse its assets for re4 reimagining? I mean re2 2019 and re3 2020 reuse assets from re7 not to mention storywise they seem to get re7'd due to how disconnected they are to canon re lore with weird changes. Thankfully they arent canon and when re4 gets reimagined; it wont be canon too.

Top Bottom