• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Thoughts on RE8 Chris Redfield

Soul Fist

You know it. When I play the REmake, I save every character almost every time. I have to go through and kill people for some trophies next time through and it is going to be a heartache. lol
Ughhh I hate that too :(
I hate when I have to kill others just for the trophies :(

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
So apparently there is talk that the same actor to voice Carlos, voices Chris...They do sound alike.

That’s strange that they’d use the same actor for two different characters.

Last edited:

Awebb

i think they'll be a bit of a twist, even though first rumours suggest he's going down the "antagonist" route, i can't see the game wrapping like this.
think Barry Burton re1....he was bad because he had to be..

If they're doing it, then they better do it well! This trope has been tried so many times, but I haven't really seen a game sequel with a convincing protagonist gone bad.

black 93

I never felt one way or another about the RE7 Chris at the time, however looking back I'm really not a fan. I think it's because ever since 7 we've seen Jill, Claire and Leon all done in the RE engine and they all look great, and at least somewhat resemble their past character models. Even Sherry and Marvin look how I'd expect them to not being a polygon on the PS1. Initially RE7 Chris actually made me question if it was him, and for a while with all the buzz on the Internet at the time, I genuinely thought that was what Capcom were going for, and this mystery Chris imposter was part of the storyline. However when they confirmed it was Chris, I was just in shock to be honest. I mean it serves its purpose, and being in first person you barely have to even look at him, but I'm very happy they went back to RE5/RE6 Chris for RE8. Looks a little older, but still looks like that character, which is what I'd want and expect. I'm just putting the RE7 Chris down to Capcom either not putting the effort in they should have, or just finding their feet with the RE engine. However I'm still not feeling much on the subject of RE8 as a whole, as I'm sure Chris will be 2nd fiddle to Ethan just as he was in 7. God I'm really not enjoying this franchise lately, apart from RE2 remake.

Last edited:

black 93

So apparently there is talk that the same actor to voice Carlos, voices Chris...They do sound alike.

That’s strange that they’d use the same actor for two different characters.
I'm OK with that, much better than the guy that voices him in 7, David Vaughan. Gotta say though, I keep hoping with every new Chris appearance that they'll bring back my main man Roger Craig Smith. That dude is my Chris, and he's one of the most underrated voice actors out there. Everyone knows Troy Baker and Nolan North, with very good reason, those guys are the granddaddys of video game voices, but Roger definitely deserves more love.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'm OK with that, much better than the guy that voices him in 7, David Vaughan. Gotta say though, I keep hoping with every new Chris appearance that they'll bring back my main man Roger Craig Smith. That dude is my Chris, and he's one of the most underrated voice actors out there. Everyone knows Troy Baker and Nolan North, with very good reason, those guys are the granddaddys of video game voices, but Roger definitely deserves more love.

I think David Vaughan annoyed me slightly more than Chris’ redesign in RE7. Though maybe that was partially to due to the fact that the game was in first person so you didn’t have to look at the new Chris design.
So, indeed, Carlos’ actor is a very welcomed change. I loved his calm voice, just find it kinda funny that these two characters will sound fairly identical.

Even Kevin Dorman, from Vendetta, would have been great. But Roger Craig Smith is still the best Chris voice we have had. I admire his real life personality just as much as his work.

Last edited:

Mr.R

I agree with both of you @black 93 and @bSTAR_182 . To me, Roger Craig Smith finally gave Chris a real personality and his voice matched the character perfectly. It's a shame Capcom doesn't appear to be interested on him voicing Chris anymore (at least for now. He said on his twitter he isn't voicing Chris on RE8).

Actually, between 2009-2015 Capcom invested highly in voice acting, getting a lot of big names (or at least recognizable ones) into the Resident Evil franchise...Roger Craig Smith, Matt Mercer, Laura Bailey, Courtenay Taylor, Michelle Ruff, Troy Baker and that stuck for a while, until the Revelations 2 controversy, I guess, where some actors where credited with pseudonyms, although Rev2 still has some known names, like Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (with an alias), Sam Riegel and Yuri Lowenthal. After Rev2, most of the voice actors Capcom has been using are unknown to me. I'm not saying they're bad though. I really liked Stephanie Panisello, Nicole Tompkins, Jeff Schine and most of the new cast (I do liked Apostolidis as RE2 Leon, but I think he would need to change his overall tone for a more experienced Leon), but those names aren't big hits like before and Capcom seems to be leaning towards that lately.

That might be the reason we won't be getting Roger as Chris again, unfortunately.

Unknown

RE7 Chris was a mess. Capcom’s biggest screw up ever and they know it.

I’m glad RE8 Chris is back to looking like himself, because since Remake he has always had that face, from RE1 to 6, only for 7 to **** it all up. I hate 7.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I don't know if the ten seconds of RE7 Chris was the biggest mistake Capcom has ever made, haha. But I do agree that the actor doesn't look like the Chris we know and RE8 Chris looks much closer.

mert20004

The only good thing about the game's trailer for me. Not interested in the game in the same way ı wasnt interested in re3 2020.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Mert, I am not sure I understand your statement. Are you saying you didn't like anything in the trailer? Or did something get cut off that you approved of, but we can't see.

mert20004

I tried to mean that the only thing ı liked about the trailer is chris' design. I'm glad they fixed the design so that he looks similar to re6 chris. I didnt like anything else however since the trailer screams " Re7 2.0. " .

1st person camera, ethan being back etc.

I think ı'll watch the cutscenes of the game and read its files when it gets released just like what ı did for re3 2020.

Moonlight_Sonata

I tried to mean that the only thing ı liked about the trailer is chris' design. I'm glad they fixed the design so that he looks similar to re6 chris. I didnt like anything else however since the trailer screams " Re7 2.0. " .

1st person camera, ethan being back etc.

I think ı'll watch the cutscenes of the game and read its files when it gets released just like what ı did for re3 2020.

Yeah, it's weird that with everyone loving the RE2 and Re3 remakes, they just don't make a game like that that's not a remake. Is it that hard? Take all the good things from those games (the visual presentation, the emphasis on puzzles and backtracking from RE2, etc.) and just give us a new story. The first person stuff is goofy and a weird departure from the trademark look of the series at a time when games utilizing that style are being so highly celebrated.

I really like it.. But i'd really want Capcom to make an official statement in terms of 'yea we ****ed up Chris in RE7, sorry!' Feel a bit cheated since i've worked hard accepting the 'new chris' and now they'll revert back to his real face.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
They could still always retroactively explain it with RE7-Chris being an evil clone or impersonator, perhaps even HUNK himself. That is to say, if Capcom had any sense of continuity and wanted to bridge stories together into interesting concepts that actually make sense.

In all likelihood, the only explanation we'll get from Capcom will obiviously be "His face just changed, deal with it".

Top Bottom