• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I can go on a shopping spree too. But I buy different types of goods. I buy hardware, tools that I perhaps never will need. I'm especially fond of German high quality stuff, life-time warranty.

Look at this Hazet. No one can match the quality of this German jewelry
600lg-10600cd5fac5802_200x200.jpg

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm gonna spend the day on a Kong-a-Thon. Watching as many Kong movies as I can find to get hype for Godzilla vs. Kong!

Yup, can't wait for it, the trailer looks so badass, which BTW, I'm pretty sure that's MechaGodzilla in the opening clip. Can't wait to see how they incorporate him into the Monsterverse and if we'll see the fake Godzilla shtick again. Rob from ETN apparently thinks so.

Speaking of kaiju flicks, Paramount also just announced a TRUE sequel to Cloverfield is in the works. It's about damn time because it deserved one. The sequels were literally Cloverfield in name only and, in fact, started off as original horror monster movies that had the Cloverfield name slapped on them in post to attract more viewers. As much as I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, that's literally its only connection, and we don't talk about Cloverfield Paradox because it was dogsh!t.

I've been saying for years I'd like to see a TRUE follow-up to Cloverfield with a new cast dealing with the Clover monster in another city, and we're finally getting it after all this time.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yup, can't wait for it, the trailer looks so badass, which BTW, I'm pretty sure that's MechaGodzilla in the opening clip. Can't wait to see how they incorporate him into the Monsterverse and if we'll see the fake Godzilla shtick again. Rob from ETN apparently thinks so.

Speaking of kaiju flicks, Paramount also just announced a TRUE sequel to Cloverfield is in the works. It's about damn time because it deserved one. The sequels were literally Cloverfield in name only and, in fact, started off as original horror monster movies that had the Cloverfield name slapped on them in post to attract more viewers. As much as I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, that's literally its only connection, and we don't talk about Cloverfield Paradox because it was dogsh!t.

I've been saying for years I'd like to see a TRUE follow-up to Cloverfield with a new cast dealing with the Clover monster in another city, and we're finally getting it after all this time.
No sh*t!? Dude the OG Cloverfield is awesome. Hearing it's getting a true sequel makes my day!

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I'm thinking that's twice now that the EU has shown its true colours...

...glad to be out of the bloc.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
No sh*t!? Dude the OG Cloverfield is awesome. Hearing it's getting a true sequel makes my day!

Yup, and it's way overdue. As great as 10 Cloverfield Lane was (John Goodman kills it in that movie), it deserved a true sequel. I must've watched the original over a dozen times on DVD and rebought it in 4K, it's that damn good, and the marketing was something else. I remember hen they showed the Brooklyn Bridge collapsing and the tentacle-like extensions falling, I was like "holy f*ck, Cthulhu?!"

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
The EU should just be sold to Turkey.... But Turkey haven't got the two pounds of silver to pay for it.

/sarkasm :rolleyes:

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
#GameStop: Any thoughts about the amateur investors making professional investors bleed? The professionals are shorting the stock (making money if the stock falls), but all the little amateurs are so many that they force the stock price up, so the professionals suffer huge losses, we're talking $ billions. At least one large hedgefund retreated.

Hilarious.

(Now, GameStop is not a company I like very much because of how they treat their employees AND their customers (forcing emplyess to lie to customers amongst other things), but that's another story.)

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I appreciate that Captain Tom raised millions for the NHS by walking around his garden. I appreciate he inspired a nation and is crazy old and all that jazz.

But why does he get to have his family around him in hospital while he has Covid? What are the "exceptional circumstances"? That he's famous? Knighted? 100 years old? Made lots of money for the NHS?

I cannot agree. What about those tens of thousands who have died frightened and alone? What about that 13 year old boy who died alone?

My best friend was not allowed to see a single human being aside from the nurse for three months due to covid...it ruined her mental health, her disabled son's mental health, her daughter's mental health. Why was she not given permission to see her family? What makes her unexceptional?

It's just wrong. Treat everyone the same - especially now. Either they can all visit or none can visit. How must other covid patients be feeling in the same hospital right now? How must their families be feeling? They might never see their loved ones again, and some insanely elderly man (who is not going to live for much longer regardless of health) gets star treatment?

This is not ok.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I appreciate that Captain Tom raised millions for the NHS by walking around his garden. I appreciate he inspired a nation and is crazy old and all that jazz.

But why does he get to have his family around him in hospital while he has Covid? What are the "exceptional circumstances"? That he's famous? Knighted? 100 years old? Made lots of money for the NHS?

I cannot agree. What about those tens of thousands who have died frightened and alone? What about that 13 year old boy who died alone?

My best friend was not allowed to see a single human being aside from the nurse for three months due to covid...it ruined her mental health, her disabled son's mental health, her daughter's mental health. Why was she not given permission to see her family? What makes her unexceptional?

It's just wrong. Treat everyone the same - especially now. Either they can all visit or none can visit. How must other covid patients be feeling in the same hospital right now? How must their families be feeling? They might never see their loved ones again, and some insanely elderly man (who is not going to live for much longer regardless of health) gets star treatment?

This is not ok.
I agree. He did a very good thing and should be commended for it, but in my opinion, they shouldn't bend the rules for him, because they wouldn't for anyone else. There are so many stories like the one you told above.

He also went to Barbados on holiday in mid December, and while it wasn't technically against any regulations or laws, I still don't really think that was the best thing to do. Just my opinion, though, I completely understand he acted legally by doing that.

There's always an entitlement with the rich and famous. Look at Rita Ora paying a venue £5k to have her 30th birthday party and to turn off CCTV cameras in the middle of lockdown. Definitely doesn't give the feeling of all being in this together, does it? My brother turned 30 last April, he had to stay home and had what we suspect was Covid to boot.

It doesn't sit well with me at all. But I guess that's the way it's always been, isn't it?

Last edited:

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
An update to this.

Captain Tom has since passed away. This is of course very sad for his family and those who have been personally touched by his efforts to raise money for the NHS.

However I still stand by what I've said. Many elderly people have been utterly alone for almost a year now, no contact, no seeing family, virtually prisoners with the lockdowns. Many have died, confused, upset and alone in a hospital, unable to breathe or tell their loved ones goodbye. No comfort, no hugs, no anything.

I hope Tom's family can appreciate one day how unbelievably fortunate they were to get to say goodbye, in person, all together.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium

This is not ok.
I can understand and agree to much of what you say here, it tragic to have to die alone. No one should have to experience that. I did not know anyone had to die from Covid in solitude in the UK, it makes me very sad to hear it is the norm. More than sad, it is sickening.

I wonder why it is like this, would it not be possible to let everyone see someone from their family in their last hour? I'm sure it's a matter of resources, but also priority. Letting dying people see someone from their family should be pretty high on the list of priorities, but I'm an outsider and I can't see the whole picture in your country.

In my opinion they should allow visits as much as possible and not set a rule against it so nearly nobody gets a visit. But I guess a general rule against it is easier to manage, albeit heartless.

You see a lot of wrong, and you are right. A lot is wrong. Very very wrong.
But you go on and say that because no one else gets to see their family when they die, no one should get to see their family when they die. Here is where you go wrong, and I don't think you really mean it if you give it a second thought.

And Captain Tom had raised a lot of money to the health care. He was not just 100 years old, not just knighted, not just famous. He had contributed a lot to the health care and he deserved whatever VIP treatment he got. Please don't be so narrow minded.
If what was done in his case was bending rules, then the rules is the problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I can understand and agree to much of what you say here, it tragic to have to die alone. No one should have to experience that. I did not know anyone had to die from Covid in solitude in the UK, it makes me very sad to hear it is the norm. More than sad, it is sickening.

I wonder why it is like this, would it not be possible to let everyone see someone from their family in their last hour? I'm sure it's a matter of resources, but also priority. Letting dying people see someone from their family should be pretty high on the list of priorities, but I'm an outsider and I can't see the whole picture in your country.

In my opinion they should allow visits as much as possible and not set a rule against it so nearly nobody gets a visit. But I guess a general rule against it is easier to manage, albeit heartless.

But you go on and say that because no one else gets to see their family when they die, no one should get to see their family when they die. Here is where you go wrong, and I don't think you really mean it if you give it a second thought.

And Captain Tom had raised a lot of money to the health care. He was not just 100 years old, not just knighted, not just famous. He had contributed a lot to the health care and he deserved whatever VIP treatment he got. Please don't be so narrow minded.
If what was done in his case was bending rules, then the rules is the problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.
I see what you're saying but I think my point was that having one rule for one person and a completely different set of rules for everyone else is not ok. Of course I don't think everyone should die alone - it's quite the opposite. And what I actually said was "Either they can all visit or none can visit", which I admit is open to interpretation; my frustration is that one person gets special treatment and nobody else does. It's not right. Captain Tom wasn't the only person who raised money, wasn't the only person who has done some good in this world since covid turned up - there's a double standard that doesn't sit right with me.

Our government has been making decisions which U-turn within days of each other, leaving the public angry and confused. Captain Tom gets to go to Barbados for Christmas, fully paid, but others cannot see their grandparents for 24 hours? How is this ok? For me, this goes further than Tom - our country has foolishly kept flights open when we should have locked it all down tight, but that's another conversation. I personally don't care how much money someone raises for charity, they don't suddenly increase in value as a human being. Not in my view.

Nurses, doctors, care home workers, teachers etc - none of these people have been afforded the luxury of family when they have died. And they have been holding things together for the sake of the public for nearly a year now, under great pressure and with little support. Ok, so one could argue that's their career choice - but this has been unprecedented. No one saw this coming and no one expected it on a scale like this. And what does the government offer? A pin badge and everyone clapping on their doorstep.

I don't know what it's like where you live, but the general mood over my way is grim. People are fed up, out of work, sick and dying. Captain Tom inspired many, he was humble, he got the recognition and respect he deserved - I don't have a problem with him whatsoever as a person. He'll probably get a state funeral, and that is absolutely fine by me. But his privileges as a result, during this time specifically, does not sit comfortably with me. No pandemic, no problem. But it's different right now.

No one is allowed to be with family when they die. It's been the rules since March last year. Children have died alone too. No visitors either. I understand it's to stop the spread of Covid but I have to wonder what the "exceptional circumstances" are that allowed Tom to avoid such restrictions?

What we haven't had in the UK is consistent and strong leadership - it's been appalling. The rich, the famous, the "important" - they can pretty much get away with a Twitter apology and a slap on the wrist. The rest of us get fines, hunger, unemployment and more restrictions.

Captain Tom should not have had to die alone, and he didn't. NO ONE should die alone, but they do. In their tens of thousands at the moment.

I can't form any other opinion right now. Maybe in a few years I'll look back and think differently. But at the moment, all I can see is a massive double standard.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium

The thing is, the pandemic situation in the UK is dire. People not being able to see their family when they're dying isn't to do with resources, it's to do with the spread of Covid, and how overwhelmed our hospitals already are as a result of caring for Covid patients. We're not saying people should be dying alone - nothing could be further from the truth, it's horrific. But the point is, at the minute that's what's happening because we're totalling well over 1,000 deaths per day and are approaching 110,000 deaths total. They're trying to limit contact as much as possible.

Yes, Captain Tom did a very commendable thing, but does that make it right if someone catches Covid and dies as a result of a member of his family being able to visit him, because hey, it was Captain Tom? If someone did die that way, their family wouldn't rationalise that by saying that he deserved to be treated as a VIP. They wouldn't think it's acceptable that their family member died since he raised a lot of money for charity. It's placing the right to see his family over, potentially, the life of someone less famous.

I would also consider the everyday heroes that didn't get catapulted into fame the same way. All of the hospital workers that have died from Covid probably didn't see their families before they sadly passed. They probably didn't even see much of their families before they caught Covid, because many doctors and nurses made the decision to live away from their families to protect them. It's not a competition, but I would say these people are heroes too. But Captain Tom's family being able to stay by his side is a result of his fame, and is a privilege of sorts.

Believe me, there is an outcry from our population for our government to do much better, and has been for a long time. Our Covid response was shocking. But this is the situation we're in right now, we can't change the past. We're not saying that people should be dying alone, that it's not absolutely awful, but with the virus spreading as quickly as it is and killing as many as it is, it's unfortunately how it is right now.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Found my travel sized toiletries along with my planned itinerary for visiting Budapest last year, and suddenly felt very sad that I didn't get to go.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I do not know what a Mug Club is, but I looked it up and saw the word Hoax like 5 times and quickly noped away. lol.

Is it just entertainment or is it supposed to be news?

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I do not know what a Mug Club is, but I looked it up and saw the word Hoax like 5 times and quickly noped away. lol.

Is it just entertainment or is it supposed to be news?
It probably said hoax because social media in general hates Steven Crowder. He's actively pursuing a lawsuit against Facebook.

All Mug Club is is a way for fans to help fund Crowder because he is demonitized or banned on a lot of platforms.

Top Bottom