• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Uncategorised Would you have liked to have seen REmake with the RE4 engine?

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
i was thinking the other day, when i was playing REmake, that i would have loved to have seen RE1 stunning level design with the RE4 engine.
beign played over the shoulder would be amazing around that mansion.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I definitely wouldn't have minded the choice to switch between the two engines wheneve I pleased! :D However, for the most part, I do happen to quite like the old, "classic" control scheme that the older Resident Evil games employed. Let's face it, Resident Evil wouldn't be Resident Evil without clunky character control. :p

aintnoscrub

Premium
oh yeah i do agree, i do like the old controls and slightly bad camera angles, but thats what made it scary...
but i would love to be able to just run through the game RE4 style, and as a_wesker123 said, RE2 as well. but oh well you can only hope, its never gonna happen now.

Mitch

With the current design of the original Resident Evil's map, I don't think it would work with the Resident Evil 4 engine at all.

Resident Evil was all about surviving. Killing when you had to, but avoiding if you could. Your character movement wasn't fantastic, your guns were slow and clunky and you were mainly exploring small, confined, claustrophobic areas with only a handful of threatening enemies.

Resident Evil 4, however, laid the survival aspect to rest. You could kill every enemy in the game and not worry about having a shortage of bullets to defeat a boss. The controls were smooth and worked, the guns were fast, upgradable and very easy to use in all situations and the areas you fought in were often large, open spaces with plenty of room to run away and almost plan your combat as it comes with a fair amount of ease.

I just don't think the two could cross over that well. There was a reason RE4 had different enemies. You had intelligent beings with weapons who could run and attacked in huge groups, yet it was counterbalanced by the much improved combat and weapon system. A group of Ganados in the first RE would have been near impossible to kill, but 4 gives you the power and the right kind of game to be able to beat them.

Now, in a game set in pretty much just a mansion, a garden and a lab, with slow enemies that are small in number, the over the shoulder view and the laser pointer on the guns allowing you to shoot a zombie in the knee and then suplex him onto his head would just take away all of the threat they once had. Then of course, with the size of the map, the game would be possible to complete in under an hour.

If they did remake it with the fourth game's engine, they'd have to drastically expand the map. Maybe giving you the chance to explore outside of the mansion and its surrounding area or something. Though I genuinely don't think it's possible to expand the map of the first game enough to actually make it anywhere near the size of the fourth.

Then, the enemies would have to be a lot harder. Every zombie would pretty much have to be a crimson head and there'd have to be a far, far greater number of them. Same would go for Hunters, dogs etc.

All in all, it'd be very hard to pull off. The only game I could see even slightly working with the RE4 engine is Nemesis, as it has the largest map, which would be a lot easier to expand (you have the whole of Raccoon City to play with) and the areas could be a lot more open and there are far more enemies around. It was generally the most action based out of the "classic" style Resident Evils.

Trinity

But,a RE4 graphic would be great? You know..The made a remake of Tomb Raider 1 called Annyversary,and it was excellent..so you never know :)

Hoady

As Mitch just said it would be ridiculously easy, i still want to play the RE games in the classic style it was better then Resident Evil 4(i only played zero though).Any possibilities to play more Resident Evil is fine with me though.

aintnoscrub

Premium
obviously they would need to modify it abit to adapt to to the mansion enviroment....but i for one would love to see it.

L

Lurker
the classic camera angle was amazing. it made you wonder "is nemesis around the corner"

RE_luver69

i slightly agree with the really long comment..the map would have to be drastically changed..if they made a horde of zombies in a REmake if they made one..then it would be okay..but they would have to completely change the game and then it would be like left 4 dead and not resident evil.

aintnoscrub

Premium
i think i should have re-phrased my comment, i should have said a modified engine of 4, dont get this picture in your head exactly like 4...
i just think the camera angles could do with some improvements.

bruno

Chief Researcher
Mitch;22269 said:
Now, in a game set in pretty much just a mansion, a garden and a lab, with slow enemies that are small in number, the over the shoulder view and the laser pointer on the guns allowing you to shoot a zombie in the knee and then suplex him onto his head would just take away all of the threat they once had. Then of course, with the size of the map, the game would be possible to complete in under an hour.

If they did remake it with the fourth game's engine, they'd have to drastically expand the map. Maybe giving you the chance to explore outside of the mansion and its surrounding area or something. Though I genuinely don't think it's possible to expand the map of the first game enough to actually make it anywhere near the size of the fourth.

Then, the enemies would have to be a lot harder. Every zombie would pretty much have to be a crimson head and there'd have to be a far, far greater number of them. Same would go for Hunters, dogs etc.

All in all, it'd be very hard to pull off. The only game I could see even slightly working with the RE4 engine is Nemesis, as it has the largest map, which would be a lot easier to expand (you have the whole of Raccoon City to play with) and the areas could be a lot more open and there are far more enemies around. It was generally the most action based out of the "classic" style Resident Evils.

They could largely increase the number of zombies in the mansion. Then, when you come back into the mansion, there would be a lot of crimson heads... and there could also be some lickers. There could be much more hunters and more chimeras through the lab.
As to the durability, it'd be nice to play RE1,2 and 3 or RE1,3 and UC(Umbrella's End scenario) in the same game

aintnoscrub

Premium
bruno i agree with you, thats what i was aiming for, picture more zombie, MUCH more crimson heads, more dogs, and hunters, and hell, why not throw in a new creatures.
i think the idea would work and no true RE1 fan would say no!!

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
Would be cool, Id buy it if it came out, but it wont ever happen ;[
Id like to see it happen.

Cousintony

i think it would be awesome. I love going through this game. It doesnt get old. But i do love my scary camera angles!

XmetallatemX

The idea sounds cool, But the still camera is haunting and dream like. I would like to see RE-6, done with the still camera. The game is slower and more calm mania. Sorta like the movie THE SHINING. I love still camera. The game PARASITE EVE 2 was awesome and it was done like RE 0, 1, 2 and 3.

Top Bottom