• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favorite Game Console?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It'd have to be between PS1 & PS2. There were so many great games on both it's tough to choose. A lot of my favourite series started out on PS1 like Resi, Tomb Raider, Tekken and Crash Bandicoot. But then PS2 had God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, SoTC and Final Fantasy X!

The good thing is all of the classics are available on PS4 :smile:
You showing love to Jak and Daxter makes me far happier than it should...The series needs comeback, stat...

ReeseJamPiece

Clearly we're all gamers here. How does one happen upon a Resident Evil discussion site if you aren't one? Which is what got me thinking...What is your favorite console? Why?

Me Personally, I go with the Sega Dreamcast. I was on the younger side when I played a Dreamcast, but it wasn't my first. By that time, I'd already played a SNES, NES, Play Station, and Genesis. Street Fighter II, Super Mario Bros, X:Men Children of the Atom, Spy vs. Spy, you name it. 2D gaming wasn't a mystery to me at all. And the king of all of 'em, was Sonic the Hedgehog 3. 3D gaming was...newer to me, having only really played Spyro and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Then one day, my granny (Who yes, is also a gamer) brought home a new system she'd bought for herself, because it had a new Sonic game. I can go on an on about the Dreamcast. The nostalgia of gaming with my granny, the VMU memory card in the controller being fun to look at, how great the button layout felt with it being my first time experiencing a control stick, the collection of games I spent MUCH time on such as Sonic Adventure (My favorite game to this day), Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead 2, and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The graphics were like nothing I'd ever seen before. I mean, yeah, I'd played a little 3D games, but comparing the way Spyro looked to Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers, was nothing. I still play the Dreamcast to this day, and think it's games, be it for nostalgia or just being that good, have more replayability than just about anything else I've ever touched. Hell, I even got my first JRPG experience on a Dreamcast, with a game called Evolution, before I even knew what a JRPG was. I just played it because the art style looked similar to Digimon.

What about you guys? What's your favorite system? Old or new. Portable or Stationary. Whatever it may be!

My favourite game system would have to be PS2.
The PS2 was a revolutionary console that defined a generation pretty much, the only REAL true competition the system got was the original Xbox and even then that sold only around 25 or 30 million units.
The never ending game library is also great, no matter what you'll never have EVERY single PS2 game even if you are rich.
I have a collection of a hundred or so PS2 games and I'm still going with it, I love this console so much and I can never have enough of it.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
PlayStation 2.

It was THE console for the longest and had a crap ton of amazing, yet overlooked, exclusives that will probably never be ported.

Not to mention that, for a while, it was the best selling home console of all time. I'm sure it's been surpassed by something or another at this point but it held that title for quite a bit if I remember correctly.
And that backward compatibility had us all spoiled.:evil:We've been chasing it ever since.

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
PlayStation 2.

It was THE console for the longest and had a crap ton of amazing, yet overlooked, exclusives that will probably never be ported.

Not to mention that, for a while, it was the best selling home console of all time. I'm sure it's been surpassed by something or another at this point but it held that title for quite a bit if I remember correctly.
And that backward compatibility had us all spoiled.:evil:We've been chasing it ever since.
It actually hasn't been beaten. It's still the best selling console of all time. (Non handheld at least)

Turo602

The King of Kings
The best console for me is easily the Xbox 360. The internet became a huge part of gaming with the Xbox 360 and it opened up so many possibilities. Online gaming was bigger and more refined than it had ever been. Broken games that shipped with bugs and glitches no longer had to stay broken due to the ability to patch them with online updates. We were given access to game demos straight from our consoles. DLC, while frowned upon by some, offered us all sorts of post release content ranging from as small as character skins and multiplayer maps to as big as hours of additional storied content to even brand new campaigns. But best of all, an internet connection gave us access to an entirely brand new digital library of indie, retro, and new games. And that's not even factoring in the stellar library of games and new IPs that we were introduced to during the Xbox 360's long 8 year run.

Halo was at its peak and utterly dominating the first-person shooter genre with Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and Halo 4. Microsoft got themselves another killer app with Epic Games' influential third-person cover based shooter, Gears of War. We saw the birth of many new franchises like Dead Rising, Saint's Row, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Batman Arkham, Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption, and Injustice. We got tons of stellar sequels, revivals, and reboots like GTA IV and V, Max Payne 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction and Blacklist, Far Cry 3, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Skyrim, Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, and Tomb Raider. There were also just as many lower profile gems as well, such as Alan Wake, Bayonetta, Captain America: Super Soldier, Condemned, Dante's Inferno, Enslaved, Ghostbusters, L.A. Noire, Spec Ops: The Line, Vanquish, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and so many more.

The system was around through three phases of my life. Elementary school, Middle School, and High School. By the time it came to an end, it felt unreal to think that after so much time, gaming was finally moving forward. I still have a huge backlog of games from the Xbox 360 that I still need to catch up on and we're nearly 2 generations away from it. It is by far the largest library of games in my collection, and still growing. I'm still absolutely amazed by how much we got from it, because this generation just hasn't quite measured up. But if one thing is for sure, gaming was never the same after the Xbox 360, and I mean that in the best way.

1995umk3

PS2.... I remember when that thing came out everything just got better in the gaming world, you just had to have it or go to you're friends house who has one. It can also play PS1 games and even play a DVD movie on it if you wish.

PS3 is ok.... for media and stuff.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I always wished I got a PS3 - but my brother gave me his 360 for free so I didn't have a reason to spend that Playstation money. Now I feel like I missed out on some great experiences. But hey, free is free!

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I always wished I got a PS3 - but my brother gave me his 360 for free so I didn't have a reason to spend that Playstation money. Now I feel like I missed out on some great experiences. But hey, free is free!
If you want me to be completely honest, PS3 and PS4 are so similar that they could've been the same console and I wouldn't know the difference. (Of course I'm not one of those people that knows everything there is to know about the console specifics either. I play games on it and occasionally watch movies on it and that's pretty much the extent of it.)

To me the PS4 is to the PS3 like a 2019 car is to the 2018. There might be some small improvements here and there - and yes, I consider whatever graphics improvements that were made small; nothing like the PS2 and the PS3 - but it's basically the same car.

Turo602

The King of Kings
If you want me to be completely honest, PS3 and PS4 are so similar that they could've been the same console and I wouldn't know the difference. (Of course I'm not one of those people that knows everything there is to know about the console specifics either. I play games on it and occasionally watch movies on it and that's pretty much the extent of it.)

To me the PS4 is to the PS3 like a 2019 car is to the 2018. There might be some small improvements here and there - and yes, I consider whatever graphics improvements that were made small; nothing like the PS2 and the PS3 - but it's basically the same car.

I think games have reached a point where much isn't gonna change like it has in the past. However, I wouldn't say the leap from PS3 to PS4 is a small one either. I think the leap in ideas is small, but the scale and graphical improvements are very noticeable to the point where even some last generation games are starting to look old or show their limitations despite being in high definition and playing very similarly.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I mean - I truly did get great experiences on my 360. But my lamentation for not owning a PS3 is that I love trophy collecting and I am missing a 6-7 year gap between my PS2 years and buying a PS4 where I have no trophy data. The 360 Achievements are in tact, but I do not know if I will ever go back to Microsoft - so it's just kind of lost.

And I agree that the PS4 has many improvements over the PS3 - but the game selection hasn't changed all that much in the PS4/XBOXone generation. And as consoles get more and more sophisticated, I am not sure we will see that many major differences as we go.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Uniq, you sound like me with all that Trophy Hunting. I like me some trophies too.

PS3 was cool because it was such and improvement over PS2 graphically but it's true that PS4 isn't much better. I do like that there is a speaker on the dual shock 4 though. Playing Death Stranding and hearing my BB through that speaker always tickles me, same as when I would hear the unlock door sound in REmake2 through that speaker. It's the little things, ya know?

I mostly play PS4 anymore and I look forward to PS5 and it's rumored backward compatibility.

And on the off subject of Death Stranding and trophies, I have decided I will platinum this game, I don't care how long it takes.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I think games have reached a point where much isn't gonna change like it has in the past. However, I wouldn't say the leap from PS3 to PS4 is a small one either. I think the leap in ideas is small, but the scale and graphical improvements are very noticeable to the point where even some last generation games are starting to look old or show their limitations despite being in high definition and playing very similarly.
Nothing will ever come close to the massive game-changing improvements made between 1990 and 2000. Alas I was too young back then, but I can only imagine what if must've been like to be a dedicated gamer throughout that entire decade. They literally moved from 2D pixels to fully rendered 3D polygons in real-time, it must've felt like entering another dimension (pun intended).

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Nothing will ever come close to the massive game-changing improvements made between 1990 and 2000. Alas I was too young back then, but I can only imagine what if must've been like to be a dedicated gamer throughout that entire decade. They literally moved from 2D pixels to fully rendered 3D polygons in real-time, it must've felt like entering another dimension (pun intended).
I started REALLY gaming in 1997, with Sonic the Hedgehog 3 being what did it for me. Then...One year later...It happened. My Granny came home with a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure. To go from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, to Sonic Adventure, like you said, 2D to 3D, hearing full on voice acting, was a jaw dropping...From there I played a mix of both styles. Alternating between games like Super Mario World and Spyro the Dragon, or Street Fighter II and Virtua Fighter 3.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The first game I can remember playing was Excite Bike for NES sometime around 1995 or 1996. We got the console from my aunt's family after their oldest kids had grown tired of it. God I loved that game so much, and that was in 8-bit! But during that same period I saw one of my dad's friends playing the first Tomb Raider which was completely in 3D, so I was exposed to the modern era quite simultaneously.

Another factor that played a role was the fact that I was a PC gamer as a kid, and I didn't buy my very own video game console until 2004 with the PS2. On my computer I played a lot of isometric 2D games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, SimCity 3000, The Sims, etc. But I also got to play 3D games like Theme Park World, Half-Life, Rune, and the early Harry Potter games.

Top Bottom