• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Opinions

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is actually very true Kevin.

At the time of release of RE3, there were actually a lot of complaints that the game was too easy due to the action capabilities and that it was essentially an action game. Of course, when the subsequent games came out, people referred to RE3 as a true Survival Horror game which is pretty much true. But every game added a little more action until the giant explosion of action in RE6.

And as for Caliban Cove - The Trisquads were never explained all that well. Did they have multiple heads? Why are they called Trisquads? But I do know they could use guns!

Billy Coen

Resident Evil Gaiden is not a bad game, despite the irritating soundtrack that ruins the mood of what the game is supposed to be: a Survival Horror.

mert20004

Old carlos > New carlos

I didnt like carlos' new design. As a character, he isnt changed that much ( Except losing his accent which unsurprisingly also happens in reorc. ) unlike leon and ada in re2 2019 but he's handled better in og game than reimagining. Better design too.

He looks like re6 chris for a weird reason and his alternate outfit is lazy. All that changes is his haircut, couldnt they give him his ubcs outfit from og re3 as an unlockable? ( Gets weirder when you realize in re8 trailer; carlos' voice actor is voicing chris. )

And speaking of ubcs; ı didnt like the fact that they cut the monitor plot point either. Nicholai feels more like a troll now just like how he was in reorc rather than the genius bastard he was in og game. Tyrell isnt one of them but rather a good guy now. Nicholai doesnt kill him either, nemesis does.

I also dont like how they made tyrell and carlos visit rpd instead of jill; why show her ptsd if she doesnt visit the police station at the end of the day?

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I do not like Leon and Ada as a couple, despite many thinks that this is the best canon couple ever...i don't really see the appeal.

RE3 was a mediocre game.. The only reason why I like it more is because i'm a fan. But in general it was a mediocre experience. Resistance is a worse online experience than Umbrella Corps.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I gotta say - I do like new Carlos and old Carlos just about equally. Both versions of the character have interesting facets about them. But I do agree that Carlos and Tyrell going to the RPD is ridiculous. There was no reason to add that in.

I doubt that. I can't even get into a match in UC.
Don't doubt, I have played over 3000 matches on umbrella corps. I know it was a much smoother experience than Resistance

Billy Coen

RE3 was a mediocre game.. The only reason why I like it more is because i'm a fan. But in general it was a mediocre experience. Resistance is a worse online experience than Umbrella Corps.
I still haven't played this one, but it seems that many fans are disappointed by it, they never say it's not as good as the remake of the second game.

Awebb

Don't doubt, I have played over 3000 matches on umbrella corps. I know it was a much smoother experience than Resistance

But right now (and since I've bought the game) I can't even get into a match, no matter how long I wait, at least on PC, so my smooth matches per matches played ratio is a division by zero.

Moonlight_Sonata

RE4 is the worst game in the series. The things it does well gameplay wise are done better by subsequent games and it has virtually no coherent story and is a slog.

Ada has been a terrible character from day one and is one of the elements most responsible for eroding the quality of the entire universe. I would be immensely happy if she'd never show up in anything ever again.

While I don't like him moving boulders with his bare hands, I'm okay with the actual physical appearance of steroid Chris.

RE6 Sherry is the best and most likable female RE protagonist since Rebecca.

I pretty much dislike any snappy dialogue or witty repartee in this series. I wish no one in the game would ever crack a joke ever again. The funniest stuff ever included in this series happened in the first three games, and all of it was unintentional.

Barry is a top 3 RE character.

While I didn't necessarily love the RE3 Remake, the water front area of that game is one of the coolest environments in the entire series.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
There is a reason these are Unpopular Opinions, but DAMN Moonlight Sonata - these are wrong! I feel like we should like... have a duel at sunset or something! haha

Roku

Ok, time to get banned from this forum:

1. RE2 OG is overrated: It's too easy (probably the easiest game of the franchise), has boring enemies (lickers are cool, but they aren't threatening and feel like a big step back from the hunters) and is too linear. It's just so... simple, unchallenging and unthreatening. The game gives you lot of ammo, has a very simple and straightforward level design and has enemies that are very easy to take care of, especially compared to it's predecessor (literally the ones that gave me the most trouble were the zombie dog, I've always found myself praying for a licker or something, just not the zombie dogs). In many ways it was a very user-friendly experience. I wasn't really a fan of the Police Station up until the remake.
  2. RE2 Remake in general pretty much fixed all the problems I had with the OG. Still, I think that RE3 Remake is a funnier and more replayable experience. RE2 gimmicks, like Mr. X acting like a walking puzzle start to get annoying on replays. I sometimes feel like he's there to make the game feel longer than it needs to be, by forcing you to change path continuously rather than to be an actual threat.
  3. Code Veronica had very cool concepts but those were executed poorly: the map/level design is bad, gameplay is sluggish at best, and while puzzle are cool, sometimes they're badly placed. Pace in general isn't good and the enemies design... Could have been a looot better. Enemies also felt unfair but I haven't played it in a while so I don't know if there was any merit to it or it was just a sensation on my part.
  4. RE mangas are cool
  5. Moira is the best new character the series ever had, she had a strong character arc and grew a lot in just one game.
  6. I love Jill, I know some people think that she's boring or plain, but I just think she's very reserved and (later in the games) very professional. Being a reserved person myself I appreciate that, and I feel it makes every scene were she doesn't quite manage to keep her cool even more meaningful (ex.: when she pukes in RE1 Remake, it's such a small moment, but I love it, because it lets you know that even though she's staying strong externally she's feeling everything that's happening internally and she's terrified). The only times she truly let's go is in RE3/RE3MAKE which makes sense, since she suffers from both PTSD and has to watch as her city and her people are getting annihilated.
  7. I liked Chris the best in RE6 (although RE1 Chris and Code Veronica Chris are kinda cool too).
  8. I cannot stand Ada, she's not badly written but she pretty much plays the same role every time she's on screen, and I'm done with that.
  9. i actually love Ashley, I think it's quite refreshing to just see a terrified civilian in the series because well, that's how most of us would probably behave in similar circumstances lol
  10. RE0 lack of item box isn't that bad. It's actually cool, since it adds a bit of strategy. The level design is well done and interconnected, meaning that you're almost never at risk of actually losing an object and the map always signs it's position. Most often than not it comes down to "I'm not gonna be able to use it for awhile if I don't take it with me, do I wanna take that risk?" and I kinda like it, since it force you to think about your next move carefully and about what's the best option for survival. Still I'm not a fan of the "force you to switch and use only this character, without any kind of warning" idea or of the 2-slot-objects one.

Last edited:

Moonlight_Sonata

Not so controversial opinion, but Jessica is one of the worst RE characters ever. Not only is her functional wetsuit resemble the ensemble of a Street Fighter character who's also a stripper, but her dialogue kind of makes me want to abandon her below deck with a horde of hunters. Just an atrocity.

I assume she was intended to be an annoying counterpoint to Jill, which makes her less infuriating on some level than Ada, who is presumably supposed to be likable. But, still, I truly hope that she never appears in another RE game again. Unless she and Jake meet in a dirty bar somewhere and have a brief, tumultuous, emotionally distant relationship whilst nursing the hots for other people. I feel like those two would definitely gravitate toward each other (and hopefully some sort of collective calamity) in real life.

Mr.R

This is a...puzzling unpopular opinion but...I'm really surprised by how much a fanbase that's known for complaining a lot (us, RE fans) are for the most part seemingly okay with the course the series took in RE7 and 8.
Even in the Youtube side of things, I'm very surprised to see some popular faces with some very strong opinions on what RE and Survival Horror is being completely okay and excited with RE8 as they were with 7 (examples for me are Suzi "Sphere Hunter" and Jared from "Avalanche Reviews"). Very few people from the Youtbe side and even some gaming writers have any concerns with all of the werewolves, vampires and witchcraft (that'll be poorly explained as "scientific" in some expository documents like in 7, probably) and that makes me really surprised.
Again, even if people like or dislike 7 and the prospects for 8...I'm so puzzled that such vocal fanbase, that bugs itself with so many little details (which can be a good or bad thing, depending on the way one sees it) are taking 7 and 8 so...on board the hype train. I know some of us, here on this forum, have issues with this course of things for RE (like I do), but I'm not talking about the people on this forum, specifically.

Also, another one...RE7 was lucky to come after 6, when some fans were so desperate for a "horror" RE, that they took a mish-mash of all the horror tropes of the 2010's games that was RE7. or half of it. Because after Marguerite is just a corridor shooter with boring enemies most of the time.

PS: I'm not saying no one needs to dislike RE7 and show concern for 8. Everyone can like whatever they want. What surprises me is that I've seen very little concern and very little actual discussion to this course for the series, in a fanbase that's pretty much very split and vocal about things (and that include the youtube guys and gals). Not saying people are wrong for liking it. I'm just stating my surprise, that's all.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
This is a...puzzling unpopular opinion but...I'm really surprised by how much a fanbase that's known for complaining a lot (us, RE fans) are for the most part seemingly okay with the course the series took in RE7 and 8.
Even in the Youtube side of things, I'm very surprised to see some popular faces with some very strong opinions on what RE and Survival Horror is being completely okay and excited with RE8 as they were with 7 (examples for me are Suzi "Sphere Hunter" and Jared from "Avalanche Reviews"). Very few people from the Youtbe side and even some gaming writers have any concerns with all of the werewolves, vampires and witchcraft (that'll be poorly explained as "scientific" in some expository documents like in 7, probably) and that makes me really surprised.
Again, even if people like or dislike 7 and the prospects for 8...I'm so puzzled that such vocal fanbase, that bugs itself with so many little details are taking 7 and 8 so...on board the hype train. I know some of us, here on this forum, have issues with this course of things for RE (like I do), but I'm not talking about the people on this forum, specifically.

Also, another one...RE7 was lucky to come after 6, when some fans were so desperate for a "horror" RE, that they took a mish-mash of all the horror tropes of the 2010's games that was RE7. or half of it. Because after Marguerite is just a corridor shooter with boring enemies most of the time.

I mostly chalk it up to chasing clout. People are gonna say what's popular and generally acceptable because it gets them in far less trouble. Especially if they want to get in good with Capcom and its developers. It's not even just a Resident Evil community thing either, it's something I see pretty much with YouTubers as a whole.

The more vocal somebody is about something they don't like in a series they love, the more likely they've been a fan a really long time and actually have a passion for it. But all the casuals and newbies are gonna jump in and say that fans don't know what they want because they wanted horror after RE6 and they got it, which only further exposes their ignorance to what the fanbase really wants and why they love this series because they can't comprehend the intricacies and nuances of a well thought out opinion.

Unfortunately, those most vocal are a minority, because to most people who have been buying these games for the past 15 years, it's just another game, which is reflected in the sales of the Revelations games that can never match the mainstream numbered entries. ScorePN actually did a really good video about this too recently.

Top Bottom