• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Opinions

Mr.R

But all the casuals and newbies are gonna jump in and say that fans don't know what they want because they wanted horror after RE6 and they got it, which only further exposes their ignorance to what the fanbase really wants and why they love this series because they can't comprehend the intricacies and nuances of a well thought out opinion.

To be honest, I don't think there's a consensus on what the RE Fanbase wants. We all wants different things and we all view RE in slightly different ways. But to me, I think that what got the closest to appease all the sides of the fanbase was RE2 Remake (lately, of course), but every day I see this fanbase more and more split on their preferences. The fact that Capcom hasn't been constant with the style they want for RE isn't helping it either.

Turo602

The King of Kings
To be honest, I don't think there's a consensus on what the RE Fanbase wants. We all wants different things and we all view RE in slightly different ways. But to me, I think that what got the closest to appease all the sides of the fanbase was RE2 Remake (lately, of course), but every day I see this fanbase more and more split on their preferences. The fact that Capcom hasn't been constant with the style they want for RE isn't helping it either.

It's way easier to generalize when discussing such large groups of people, especially one as divided and ever expanding as the Resident Evil community because of how badly Capcom has evolved this franchise.

I understand that everyone has varying opinions, even within the smaller percentage of "true" fans. But I'm trying to highlight the casual opinion vs the diehard opinion. For example, it used to be easier to tell apart a long time fan from a newer one based on how they talked about Resident Evil 4. But that doesn't exactly mean that long time fans couldn't have enjoyed 4 either.

But there is a general opinion against RE7 that is drowned out by the larger casual group of fans, and YouTubers don't want to risk upsetting them by being critical, analytical, and honest, so they just rather have a safe and generic opinion.

ScorePN in his video even called this out and I've made this point several times myself, but people are allowed to like anything with the name Resident Evil on it, but it literally costs nothing to admit that this thing called Resident Evil is not like this other thing called Resident Evil, but for some reason, people hate acknowledging the changes and accepting that people can be against them because in their mind, it somehow invalidates how they feel about it. But like you said, people do seem to commonly agree that REmake 2 was great, and there is definitely a reason for that, that most people can't grasp.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
As a self-appointed casual, I should probably be offended by this conversation, but then again, I'm not a casual when it comes to RE, so it's all good. :cool:

I agree that REmake 2 is the best thing the franchise has produced in recent years, but even before that, most people already agreed that Revelations 2 was great. Granted, not everybody liked how Claire was presented in that game, or the resolution of the Alex Wesker story, or other things that weren't perfect, but overall it was just the right mix of action and horror elements with an interesting story and good replayability. So it's not like Capcom only knows since 2019 what fans* want, they're just ignoring it for the sake of trying out new things that would be better off in spin-offs.

And for the record, I despise the direction of the numbered titles since RE7, and don't care about RE8 either. Even as a fan of witches and old fairy tales in general, I feel those things have no place in the RE universe. But most of you probably know that already.

* Of course, that doesn't include absolutely everybody. Some people disliked Revelations 2, and even REmake 2, for various reasons. This is just generally speaking.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Don't be fooled by YouTubers praising upcoming titles for any game or film franchise. It's a well-known issue facing YouTube these days, that companies are able to copyright strike and even take down videos talking negatively about upcoming games and movies, unless the creators aren't extremely careful about which footage they're showing in their videos. Copyright strike means no ad revenue, which means no money, so its really no wonder why most popular creators are basically asslickers for the companies they make videos about. It is soooooo much more difficult for people with genuine opinions to get big on YouTube. Reaction videos are probably the best example when it comes to this - ever noticed how there are basically no reaction videos on YouTube with negative reception to what they're seeing? It's all fake excitement for the big masses. Generally companies don't seem to have an issue with YouTubers talking more negatively about older products, but new and upcoming ones obviousy must be protected at all costs to ensure that they make money. It's a vicious circle.

So the reason why all of YouTube seem to be excited about RE8 can be partly explained by that.

Roku

This conversation took an odd turn. I'm curious though, at this point, who do you think are Resident Evil's "true" fans?

The franchise's fandom is so divided that I simply don't think it's possible to make that distinction anymore (not that I've ever given it much weight, if you play and like one of the games of the saga, you're a fan in my book).

From what I saw, there are:

- People who only played the first 3 titles and think that the "franchise died after 3" (sometimes "after 2")
- People who played and loved the first 3 titles, hated 4 to Revelations 2, and love 7 (and claim that it's "a return to the franchise roots" or "the saviour of the franchise"). There are plenty of them.
- People that love them all (Suzi being an example, although there are titles she likes less), and are hyped for RE8, and like the diversity the saga offers.
- People that only like the more action-oriented entries and hates the fixed camera angles.
- People that like RE7 only.
- People that dislike every RE that contains a stalker-type enemy.

Etc...

Capcom may know what each group wants, but putting all this different wishes together? Well, it's easier said than done. Remake 2 was a good compromise, but they can't exactly copy it with each numbered entry so, I think it's nice to see them try to differentiate each new entry. Still, I think they took it too far with 7.
RE4 revolutionated the series but even 4 didn't really cut any contact with past entries (it's intro was basically a recap of those), and RE3R reinforced that connection, RE7 though, has too much of a different mood and style to really feel connected overall (although I guess they could do something to make it fit a little better).

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I've been a fan since OG RE2. I don't consider myself a casual. I liked almost all of the REs, some more than others. I didn't like RE3 or 4. I did enjoy RE7 and I'm excited for RE8 and I don't look for internet star kudos. People like what they like - I don't care if RE6 was your favorite, I don't care if RE3 was your favorite even if it's my least favorite game. I don't think the REs that you like or don't like make you any more/less of a fan. And honestly it's a little put-offish for people to even apply the label of 'true fans' to people. We don't need gatekeepers. We're a community. Embrace each other's differences.

Turo602

The King of Kings
"True" fans are the minority group of people who have been buying the games and have a continued interest in the series as a whole, rather than someone who just jumped in with RE4 and thinks that's survival horror just because it was finally accessible to their playstyle, or someone who jumped in with RE5 because it's a co-op "shooter," or someone who just came in with RE7 because their favorite Twitch streamer was playing it, but beyond that, don't have any actual interest in the series besides maybe possibly getting another one if enough people are talking about it.

When you consider how many new fans these individual games have attracted by how much more they've been selling over not just previous entries, but entries like the Revelations series that are designed to cater to the "fans," you begin to see how small the actual fanbase is in comparison to the overall consumers of the franchise, regardless of what time they became a fan or what playstyle they prefer.

Buying one game and being a fan of that one game doesn't make anyone a fan of a particular series. There's always a distinction like how watching MCU movies doesn't make you a Marvel fan if all you do is watch every other movie in theaters when your friends invite you, yet you have no interest or desire for Marvel beyond that. Their ticket sales still count, but that doesn't make them part of the "fanbase."

But regardless, the semantics of it don't really matter because then that just needlessly convolutes the main point I was making, which is that a portion of the fanbase share a similar dislike for RE7 BECAUSE they're familiar enough with the series to know something is different as opposed to the generic consensus that scary equals Resident Evil so what more do people want.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I liked RE7 though, and I've played all the main games and many of the spin offs and have seen most of the movies (I'm admittedly slacking on the CGI ones.). I have been actively buying games for 20 years. I think someone who starts playing at 4, 5 or what have you has a right to be called a true fan, perhaps they just are late to the party but are genuinely interested in the lore and characters that they've stumbled upon. They may not be geniuses of the RE universe but they might actually be really into it and want to play more of the games or watch more of the movies. I know what you're saying about playing a game because it's popular at the time or whatever but I don't think it's anyone else's place to decide whether someone's dedication to a franchise warrants them to be true or fake fans, that's all I'm saying. Some of them might actually play the other games off stream and they might also like RE7 and be excited about RE8.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm not denying any of that. Nor have I called anyone a fake fan. I've been using these terms very loosely, hence the quotations around them because once again, getting into the semantics of it all is unnecessary. I'm not gatekeeping and saying only people who like these games or these playstyles are true fans. That's not the point at all and what you described is exactly what I'm referring to. A continued interest in the series. Whether you fell off the series but still pay attention to it, or thought RE7 redeemed the series, or you started with 4 or 5 and haven't let go since or even delved back into the previous ones. Everyone's story is different, but that still doesn't make us the target audience anymore because we're still considered a minority within the overall sales numbers.

There aren't 7 or 8 million hardcore fans or whatever number the highest selling Resident Evil game is. There's a reason Capcom has been targeting "core" fans, their words, not mine, with the Revelations series and even Resident Evil 7. That's because they have been deliberately catering to new audiences with the main series. They abandoned action because fans didn't like it, yet you'd think there are tons of fans who liked the action games. And even though they went back to survival horror, they once again found a way to distance themselves from the past to make it easier for newcomers to get in.

The casual market controls what's popular and that's the overall philosophy I'm sticking to when referring to this exact subject because only a small percentage of any given mainstream brand is ever an actual fan of said thing. It's why the Transformers movies are so popular with people who have never seen the cartoons or grew up with any of the toys. I enjoyed the first Transformers movie in theaters and I wouldn't for one second be offended by being called casual because liking one movie doesn't make me a fan of an entire brand, series, or franchise. It just means I enjoyed that movie. I wouldn't tell a Transformers fan that they don't know what they want because they've been wanting a live action movie for a long time and now they have one, because that would be completely ignorant to the fanbase's expectations as fans.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
It's an interesting discussion. I consider myself to be a fan of Resident Evil, but sans RE3 OG I didn't start to get into the franchise and play most of the titles until 2018, which is very late to the party indeed. Does that make me less of a "true fan" compared to older ones? Because ironically enough, my preferences and opinions regarding the series as a whole is more similar to long-time fans who've grown up playing the first 3 games. I dislike how the series took on a more action-oriented approach in RE4, I thought Revelations 2 was incredible, and I've been questioning the existence of RE7 even before I got deep into the series (I remember seeing a trailer back in 2017 and thinking wtf has this to do with Resident Evil). In my mind, bioengineering and survival horror was and should be the core aspects of a Resident Evil game. The only thing I couldn't care less about is the obsession that some older fans have with fixed camera angles. Although I have nothing against fixed camera (in fact my favorite game is RE1 remake), I think third-person is the way to go for modern games.

Nevertheless, I also don't like to use the term "true fan" because what is 'true' differs very much from person to person.

mert20004

I think re5 is more disappointing than re6 storywise. Re6 is better than re5 imo plus it creates a better reunion for re2 than re5 does for re1. ( Only claire is missing in re6 while re5 is missing barry and rebecca from story. Also ı didnt like the p30 plot point with jill which seems like a disservice. ) My thoughts with re5's story started to get more mixed.

Also ı know this is old but ı read the old pages again and ı want to say that ı apologize to wesker for confusing a plot point with jake. It seems he didnt get any power from that syringe. I used to think he gained power from c-virus just like how wesker gained one from prototype strain but apparently he didnt cause c is made of 2 viruses ( G-virus and special t-veronica strain called t-02. ) that are weakened inside the carriers' bodies. ( Sherry and manuela. ) If he used a stronger strain like prototype, uroboros or enhanced c; then ı think he might be able to gain powers from it.

Though ı'll disagree with him about jake ( or the game ) being out of place for the franchise. If leon can dodge lasers or chris can punch a boulder; then jake launching ustanak with his punch isnt that out of place. Honestly ı think joe's situation from re7 end of zoe is more ridiculous. ( The game that focuses more on realism just like reimaginings and according to fans; " Return to roots. " ) How is he not getting infected from mold that he's touching with his punches? This isnt explained just like how mold's backstory isnt explained. When he gets the gauntlet; it's a bit better but still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I think re5 is more disappointing than re6 storywise. Re6 is better than re5 imo plus it creates a better reunion for re2 than re5 does for re1. ( Only claire is missing in re6 while re5 is missing barry and rebecca from story. Also ı didnt like the p30 plot point with jill which seems like a disservice. ) My thoughts with re5's story started to get more mixed.

Also ı know this is old but ı read the old pages again and ı want to say that ı apologize to wesker for confusing a plot point with jake. It seems he didnt get any power from that syringe. I used to think he gained power from c-virus just like how wesker gained one from prototype strain but apparently he didnt cause c is made of 2 viruses ( G-virus and special t-veronica strain called t-02. ) that are weakened inside the carriers' bodies. ( Sherry and manuela. ) If he used a stronger strain like prototype, uroboros or enhanced c; then ı think he might be able to gain powers from it.

Though ı'll disagree with him about jake ( or the game ) being out of place for the franchise. If leon can dodge lasers or chris can punch a boulder; then jake launching ustanak with his punch isnt that out of place. Honestly ı think joe's situation from re7 end of zoe is more ridiculous. ( The game that focuses more on realism just like reimaginings and according to fans; " Return to roots. " ) How is he not getting infected from mold that he's touching with his punches? This isnt explained just like how mold's backstory isnt explained. When he gets the gauntlet; it's a bit better but still.
Don't worry, just differ opinion, you like re 6 more, i prefer re 7

dasdasdasd

I have a question: could they have made a different game all together containing this mold thing in res7? Also, why not the same about Las Plagas in res4.

mert20004

I have a question: could they have made a different game all together containing this mold thing in res7? Also, why not the same about Las Plagas in res4.
If you are talking about mold having another appearance; it might do so in re8. Not sure if they would explain their origins though, the plaga's full origins wasnt explained in re5 either other than some people having theories like this:

As for plaga; it alrady made multiple appearances after re4 in re5, damnation and even vendetta where a-virus is a combo of t-virus and plaga genes. ( One of the reasons why those zombies at the end of the movie managed to turn back. )

Hardware

Do you mean a different style of gaming with those enemies? Like an action-oriented mold game and a survival horror game with Las Plagas? Sure. There's this game called "Cold Fear", which came out around the same time as RE4 and it features more or less the same idea (parasites taking over humans): it's not exactly true survival horror, but it is closer to older RE titles than 4 was.

Hardware

I dislike how the series took on a more action-oriented approach in RE4, I thought Revelations 2 was incredible, and I've been questioning the existence of RE7 even before I got deep into the series (I remember seeing a trailer back in 2017 and thinking wtf has this to do with Resident Evil). In my mind, bioengineering and survival horror was and should be the core aspects of a Resident Evil game. The only thing I couldn't care less about is the obsession that some older fans have with fixed camera angles. Although I have nothing against fixed camera (in fact my favorite game is RE1 remake), I think third-person is the way to go for modern games.
Amen to all of that (well, minus the Revelations 2 bit - I didn't like that game). Especially the fixed camera part. I became a fan of RE in the late-90s with RE2, so I am very much used to fixed cameras, but, quite frankly, they are a thing of the past. I would've loved to see another title with the dynamic camera from Code: Veronica (and the first prototypes of RE4 seemed to go in that direction), but, all in all, those cinematic angles are pretty antiquated from a gaming perspective and prevented the series from evolving. Just look at RE2make and how the OTS perspective was used to actually increase the survival factor: more often than not, you don't take down zombies, you just stun them by carefully aiming at their heads or knees and move on.

Turo602

The King of Kings
As much as I love the classic games, I've always been of the opinion that over the shoulder was the way for the future of the series. Resident Evil 4 showed us how perfect the controls were able to translate from fixed-camera to OTS. It was just a shame they felt they needed to take the entire game in a different direction. But Revelations 2 and REmake 2 really showed us how that classic gameplay can be evolved and flawlessly utilized in a classic style survival horror game. Which BTW, feels like a f*cking miracle since it seriously took them this long... only to go back on it immediately.

With that said, I still have a soft spot for fixed-camera angles. Resident Evil REmake is still my favorite game in the series, and when I first played the original Devil May Cry back in 2013 and more recently, Code Veronica for the first time, there was just something really refreshing about those camera angles. Games just don't look this visually artistic today and it can even be used in unique ways to convey a sense of impending doom that an OTS game just can't.

I like both styles a lot, but only one of them is dead and therefore missed, because it truly is a lost art. I know they're not exactly the same, but it's one of the reasons I actually really appreciate games like Little Nightmares and Luigi's Mansion 3. They have such unique looking perspectives into their world that just enhances the whole experience. Fixed-cameras may not be the most accessible camera option, but it's one I never had a problem with and selfishly, I do wish we could get more fixed-camera experiences, even if it's just the original games but updated to the standards REmake set.

I love how they modernized Resident Evil 2, and as much as I could have easily called it my favorite Resident Evil game had they captured every special aspect of the original RE2, it still sucks that we'll never get that same classic Resident Evil experience in that form again. I love the original RE2 and Code Veronica is easily up there as well, but they're still dated in certain aspects that I'd love to see remedied in the same way REmake did for the original Resident Evil. REmake 2 was amazing, but only because it showed us that modern Resident Evil doesn't have to ditch its roots. Luckily, The Medium seems to be keeping fixed-cameras alive in 2021. The only problem is whether it's good or not.

Mr.R

This might turn out completly wrong, since RE:Van Helsing isn't out yet, but I think the series is starting to overuse the stalker element. We had that with Jack and Marguerite, then Mr.X and then (at least in two stances) with Nemesis and now, from the impression I got with the trailers, the Vampire Lady and her daughters might be some sort of stalker figures around the castle. I really hope not, because if it's true, then I think the stalker thing is overstaying it's welcome. I would prefer if they were more like Birkin, that you can face multiple times in some sort of boss battle thing instead of simply run (and maybe hide) from them, or simply wasting ammo so they can sit idle for 30 seconds.

Also, as unpopular opinions goes, I'm really surprised by how much crazy the internet is getting because of tall vampire lady. She looks cool and all, but my RE related social media is going so crazy about her that I think I'll be tired of seeing her face before the game even comes out.

Hardware

Luckily, The Medium seems to be keeping fixed-cameras alive in 2021. The only problem is whether it's good or not.

Well, "The Medium", as far as I've seen, is more about exploration and puzzle-solving. I never had a problem with fixed cameras when it came to that - they actually helped to make the game more cinematic and creepy. But they were not very well suited for combat (and, while I don't see classic REs as action games, combat is a necessity). Or, more well put, they did work as long as the game stayed within certain limits. I recently played through the remasters of RE1make and RE0: the earlier still works pretty well because it is calibrated for that kind of experience and, since it was the remake of 1, didn't really have to come up with new challenges (it did in the shape of the Crimson Heads, but that's a different story). The latter, which wasn't a remake so it had to come up with all-new challenges, really felt dated.

Hardware

Also, as unpopular opinions goes, I'm really surprised by how much crazy the internet is getting because of tall vampire lady. She looks cool and all, but my RE related social media is going so crazy about her that I think I'll be tired of seeing her face before the game even comes out.
I know, right? Social media is overstuffed with Dimitrescu memes. It's really becoming annoying. My two cents is that the Tall Lady is going to be the stalker, while her daughters are going to be more like bosses or mini-bosses. I am still fine with stalkers as we speak, since Jack wasn't that oppressive in my book and I loved Mr. X in RE2make (he was really creepy and unpredictable). Unfortunately, Nemesis wasn't given enough space to express its potential (it took me multiple playthroughs for it to pop up unexpectedly once or twice - and I always played in hardcore mode). I might be done with the idea after Village though. We'll see.

Top Bottom