• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you watching?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
When I'm not watching news coverage of the election (Google, Yahoo, CNN, Fox - I watch them all to see how different outlets view the events of the election) - I have been enjoying the newest season of Great British Bake Off. My favorite guy just got voted off, but I knew it was coming. There are just better bakers in the crowd. And I have to say, I enjoy Matt Lucas in the hosting role with Noel Fielding. They have some pretty good chemistry, and even though some of his jokes are cheap, they still make me laugh.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Train to Busan - 10/10
Train to Busan...This move was even more than everyone made it out to be. Spoiler Free, this was next to perfect. Not since George A. Romero's "Of the Dead" trilogy has a zombie film this good been made. In almost all modern day horror, the characters are just fodder. Expendable faces that serve to give movie goers the horrifying on screen deaths they crave to see. But that's what makes horror so dull and boring. If you aren't invested in the characters, then you don't feel anything when they die. This film takes it's time to flesh out all of its characters. And yes, pun was intended.

The directing was top notch. The writing was on point. The minimal use of CGI in favor of going the practical effects route all had me in love with this film, but the story seals the deal. Maybe it's because I'm a dad, but the Father-Daughter aspect of this movie hit so hard. In most horror films your protagonist doesn't have an arc. They're just there to survive. But our main character (the film is Korean, so I'm not even gonna try his name) has a full arc from beginning to end that feels like a completely natural progression for someone in his situation during a zombie outbreak.

Speaking of his situation...let's talk about that. Specifically the setting. This blends two ideas in the most seamless way possible. First, in horror, you have the isolation aspect. Alien does it with a space ship. House on Haunted Hill does it with...well obviously a haunted house. Dawn of the Dead does it with a mall. Isolation and being trapped makes horror. But there's another element to this movie's setting. Not just isolation, but suspense. And what is the landmark, most famous way films have done suspense for years? A moving train. Putting a scene on a moving train raises the stakes because it's immediately more dangerous with the speed and narrow mobility. Spider-Man 2, Mission Impossible, any old western where there's a train heist. Hell, even the children's Christmas film Polar Express used this method for suspense during a train walking scene. So now you have your two elements. Isolation and suspense on a speeding train during zombie outbreak where the passengers are infected. It's so simple but brilliantly executed.

This movie isn't excessively gore filled. In fact, save for a few scenes, the deaths are all pretty tame. Train to Busan fills you with absolute dread throughout nearly its entire running time not with the blood factor, but the intensity of what it portrays the situation like. I've gotta do it...Gotta give it a perfect 10/10.

Last edited:

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Watched the original Fright Night on Prime Video, it was a solid, campy good fun vampire flick. Solid story with better emphasis on characters than the 2011 film and Chris Sarandon plays a MUCH better Jerry than Colin Farrell, though I'll give the remake credit for largely standing on its own and not rehashing too much from the original. I watched the remake about 10 years prior and, while it kept some of the same story elements from the original, I like that it wasn't an almost shot-for-shot remake like the remake of Carrie.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Binge watching Haven coz my back went out yesterday (no note, no forwarding address, so rude!) and I'm bed bound until further notice.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Rewatching Brooklyn 99 at the moment. I am trying to save up a few episode of The Mandalorian in order to binge it, but I might just cave and watch the third episode tonight!

Where do y'all stand on the Mandalorian "contraversy" about
The Child eating those damn eggs. I was ****ed off and ready to protest, but then I got lost in those little eyes again. haha. This was never a real controversy I don't think. But every time I saw it, I was like NOOOOOOO!!!!

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
As far as I understood it

those eggs hadn't been fertilised by the time he was eating them - that was part of the urgency of the trip, I thought. Therefore, no different to anyone eating regular eggs IRL. Except that most chickens aren't preserving their family line :LOL:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is VERY TRUE, but...

The Mom was right there! That made me feel a little uneasy about it. But you're right. We eat eggs all the time! haha

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
And now I want eggs...

Just got all caught up with the first three episodes of Agents of Shield season 7. Not a clue what's going on and they didn't bother doing a recap so I'm making it up as I go along

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Watching 300, always a great watch no matter how many times I've seen it, historical inaccuracies aside, which was a controversy in and of itself. Some of the most memorable CGI and action scenes you'll ever see with a great story and ham performances throughout. Gerard Butler killed it as Leonidas, especially in that one scene, which I'll get to below. Loved watching the evolution of his character.

I appreciated how well it was able to lay out the Leonidas exposition at the beginning with the narration from Xerxes and transition to the present without it negatively affecting the flow of the film. In fact, it did a great job connecting the narration to the Battle of Thermopylae all throughout the movie's runtime. Everything is well-connected, well-paced and well-executed.

What I really loved was how it was able to pull off all those CGI effects with a $65 mil budget. You'd think this was a $100+ mil movie with all those effects used, but nope, it was somehow able to deliver plenty of eye candy and still keep a modest budget.

And of course, who can forget this iconic scene, probably the most quotable thing in the whole movie (I think you know where I'm going with this)?:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
As somebody who watches less animated films than, I shouldn't say most, but a good portion of filmgoers and an avid fan of vampires/undead, I took it upon myself to watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, having heard nothing but good things about it. Glad I did because I was instantly hooked. It has the perfect blend of gothic and warm atmosphere with concepts and action I've never seen before in any vampire film, be it animated or live-action. It changes scenery, but never feels all over the place. It moves at a brisk pace and never misses a beat when the action comes and goes and it really goes out of its way to make you care for every single one of the characters. All of the characters have depth and personality to them that leaves you emotionally invested from start to finish. And for the cherry on top, the animation is top notch.

If you like anime, then this is a must watch. Even if you've never watched the actual Vampire Hunter D anime, you'll have a great time with this, especially if you like undead films. It's a complete 180 from that godawful piece of sh!t, Ultraviolet, which didn't even have the gall to call the vampires vampires.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
As somebody who watches less animated films than, I shouldn't say most, but a good portion of filmgoers and an avid fan of vampires/undead, I took it upon myself to watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, having heard nothing but good things about it. Glad I did because I was instantly hooked. It has the perfect blend of gothic and warm atmosphere with concepts and action I've never seen before in any vampire film, be it animated or live-action. It changes scenery, but never feels all over the place. It moves at a brisk pace and never misses a beat when the action comes and goes and it really goes out of its way to make you care for every single one of the characters. All of the characters have depth and personality to them that leaves you emotionally invested from start to finish. And for the cherry on top, the animation is top notch.

If you like anime, then this is a must watch. Even if you've never watched the actual Vampire Hunter D anime, you'll have a great time with this, especially if you like undead films. It's a complete 180 from that godawful piece of sh!t, Ultraviolet, which didn't even have the gall to call the vampires vampires.
I've heard the Vampire Hunter D anime is great. As someone who's seen...let's just say many MANY anime, I'm surprised I haven't sat down and watched this one yet.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Watching Titanic for the first time in over two decades on Blu-Ray, now I know why this film won so many awards and is the 3rd highest-grossing movie of all time adjusted for inflation. Such a wonderfully-directed, written and paced film from start to finish even if it is over 3 hours long. I loved watching the development of Dawson and his relationship with Rose, and that ending, powerful stuff, and by that, I mean very sad, I almost cried when I saw this in the theater. And that score.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
My husband still hasn't seen Titanic and probably never will because I DO cry every time I watch it TmT. Honestly I think it probably traumatized me as a kid, watching all those people die, heh. Also probably doesn't help that I'm hyper empathetic. But yea. He probably won't watch it.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Still plugging through Arrow which is getting more pantomime by the minute.

On YouTube, I'm currently watching Mike Winger and Melissa Dougherty discussing the invasion of New Age into the church and how to counter the often-twisted bible verses that word of faith proponents churn out to support their nonsense (looking at you Bethel).

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Got around to watching the Scream trilogy on Blu-Ray. I'll try to keep my thoughts on all 3 as short and sweet as possible.

Scream is, without question, a slasher classic, one of the few genuinely good slasher films, not just fun popcorn entertainment (a la New Nightmare, Freddy vs. Jason), but actually good with one of the most memorable openings ever seen in a slasher. It's pacing is top notch and never dulls down for a second and it not only handles comedy, which is in itself a unique feat for a horror-slasher, but it does so in the ballsiest of ways that you can't help but get a good laugh. Sidney is also one of the best horror protagonists you'll ever see, she delivers a killer performance (no pun intended) from start to finish. My only real gripes are Dewey was kind of annoying in this film and Gale wasn't given the attention her character deserved. All in all, it's near-perfect, which is a rare feat for a slasher.

Scream 2 has Sidney at her best, showing the most personality out of any of the Scream films, which is really saying a lot. It also follows Gale more closely, giving her more depth and screentime from the first movie. She felt more like a reporter trying to make a name for herself and not a background piece like in the first movie and I love that they explored her and Dewey's budding relationship and even Dewey himself is more likable in this. It also does things no other slasher sequel had the balls to do: make a movie reenactment of the first film (which Austin Powers later stole from this movie with Goldmember) and the commentary during film class about how horror sequels are always inferior to the original is comedic gold, though it does have some flaws, mainly how "convenient" some of the kill are, especially at the beginning in the theater. I also hated how, even though I understand and even dig the why, the Ghost Face killer conveniently didn't have the wherewithall to make sure Dewey was dead after stabbing him in the school. Despite these minor gripes, though, it's a good fun time and one of the better horror sequels and slasher sequels especially, which isn't saying much, but still.

3 has the most jaded plot of all the Scream films (albeit for lack of trying, I mean that literally), but it has just enough new ideas to at least hold your attention while sticking with the tongue-in-cheek, movie-within-a-movie approach of Scream 2. Unfortunately, it's bogged down by a myriad of flaws. It starts out promising enough with an early kill/invasion, but then it goes South by killing off a beloved character early on (a la Alien 3 and Terminator Dark Fate), not to mention there's already a bit of a plot hole beforehand with Christine "seeing" the Ghost Face in Cotton's place despite having no PTSD, at least not that I'm aware of (she was never involved in any of the previous Ghost Face kill sprees for that to work). It does have some things going for it, though. It uses the Stab concept in a unique way by not actually having the latest Stab movie begin production, but Sidney, Gale, and Dewey instead find a screenplay which starts a whole new investigation and spree of murders and the returning cast (Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox and David Arquette) is great, as usual. They even revealed a bunch of new info about Maureen (more than either of the previous films) that I thought was kinda cool. Unfortunately, there's so many plot holes and contrivances (convenient kills) you have to turn your brain off to have any kind of fun with this one. It doesn't help that the kills (the main draw of a slasher film) are a lot more dialed down in this one, mostly offscreen affairs.

PS, prime Courteney Cox gives me ________ vibes. :love:

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Titanic - Man, that movie was SO HUGE when it first came out. It was in theaters for a record breaking amount of weeks because fans would see if OVER and OVER again. I knew this guy David who saw it 7 times in theaters which was kind of weird for a 5th grader, but I thought it was amazing he could sit through it that many times. When my family finally went to see it, my Dad slept through nearly the whole thing and I was mesmerized by it and I finally understood why David saw it so many times. We got it on VHS later that year and I was astounded it had to come on 2 VHS tapes!

Scream - I haven't watched them in years, but I thought that Scream 3 was kind of bogus compared to the first two. It had a lot of comedy in it which kind of nullified the scariness for me as a teen. That one scene where the camera follows the flying knife only for it to hit someone with the blunt end had me laughing for probably 30 seconds. I still haven't seen Scream 4 yet, but that's probably because the fiancee doesn't watch horror movies, and I hate watching movies along.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Finally got around to watching The Mandalorian last week and holy sh*t. The show itself is amazing, but that season 2 finale... wow. That alone was worth more than anything the sequels have ever done and this whole show gives me hope for the future of Star Wars.

While they can't undo the sequels, which they should, I really hope the rumors are true and that they'll be avoiding them and focusing on the era between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. That's honestly the only way I'll ever be able to enjoy Star Wars again because those sequels were just a complete dumpster fire.

The Mandalorian gets everything right that the sequels got wrong, which completely ****ters the dumbass narrative idiots like to create that if you had issues with the sequels, you're a sexist, a racist, a bigot, and so on because The Mandalorian is rich with diversity. The only difference is, the characters are actually useful and meaningful and not just there to tick off a box or belittle anyone based on race or gender.

The show is also not ashamed of its past and embraces the entire Star Wars universe by having connections to the prequels and Clone Wars, rather than pretending it never existed just to pander to the toxic original trilogy fans whose money they wanted but ultimately wanted to disown anyway. The sequels were such a confused mess, meanwhile The Mandalorian just feels like Star Wars.

It's sad that stuff like diversity and basic respect for the material in which the thing even comes from is considered noteworthy in this day and age. With today's landscape, it honestly feels like a miracle when something is done right and it's why I love shows like The Mandalorian and Cobra Kai so much. Especially after how disappointed I've become with the whole Arrowverse lately. Shows like Arrow and Flash were already pretty "woke" from the start, but now they're just vehicles for pushing a woke agenda and have become so unrecognizable from the great shows they used to be. Hopefully these shows can keep up the quality and I can't wait for Cobra Kai season 3 this Friday.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I've watched all episodes of The Mandalorian recently as well, and while I agree that they're lightyears ahead of the sequel trilogy there's still room for improvement. OK, so at least this time they got two things right: good story and interesting characters. However, I still have an issue with Disney's obsession of re-using familiar elements and aestethics. Even when they try to create original stuff, like planets for example, they still look like a mixture between Bespin and Tatooine or something. I'm getting tired of seeing the same old stuff on planets that's supposed to be new and have their own unique style. Just take the Jawas for example, in the old canon they can only be found on Tatooine but now in Disney's canon they can be found on countless of different planets, apparently. It's getting tiredsome. Say what you want about George Lucas but at least he tried to make every single planet look unique in its own way.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree with that and I think that is probably the best thing about the Prequel Trilogy as well. Every location they go to in those movies has something new and unique with the finale on Mustafar being a little bit of unique and cliche, but it was undeniably a cool location to fight.

Top Bottom